Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Sword to share

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    When the burglar breaks in, I can shoot him with my 1911 and not my Magic taoist gun nor do I have to gut him with my real, sharpened swords.

Living in the USA has HUGE advantages over nations that do not allow the people who pay for the nations to exist to arm and defend themselves. I feel for all the sheep in the UK, Canada, and Australia who let their Government tell them they cannot defend themselves from criminals.

People that play with toy martial arts weapons, un-sharpened swords and toy guns are playing at being a warrior/soldier/martial artist.

Beginners need to learn without cutting their hands off and should use a safe beginners weapon, but someone such as yourself CYMAC, who makes big claims as to being a martial arts teacher should go to the next level, or you are just playing at it like a child.

Unsharpened swords (metal) in kungfu are not toys. Toys are made of plastic. If you kid the metal sword that are unsharpened, you can for sure see some tragic stuff happen. An unsharpen sword can also kill. I used to practice sword fighting with my student in 2006-2007 with these unsharpened spring steel swords. Not the wushu stuff, but dragon well stuff. He used to got his whole forearm bleeding and stuff and it was too dangerous even I am being careful, mind you that we are going at full speed too just to be fun and practical. So I was the one who say we gotta stop doing the practice with metal sword unless his skills is about my level, or else it would be too crazy.. and so we stopped the practice. he was enjoying it though, lots of bleeding and stuff. "with unsharpened swords".

Don't look at things like that, you ae underestimating unsharpened stuff. LoL!
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

Chi in Nature - My Taoism Temple Website
    Taoist Master BLOG - my blog

My Kungfu Channel on Youtube

For full strength striking practice, use a pell

a 5 to 6 foot single post of wood of 7"-10" outside diameter will do.

to test your blade sharpness, use rolled tatamis, rolled cardboard or if you can afford it and don't mind being wasteful, a whole pig. (or simply cut a piece of printer paper with it by running it along the blade.)

But having a pell is key to understanding what happens to the sword and you and your hold upon the sword as you strike with it at full force as if really using it.

It's a centuries honoured tradition.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

for chopping and hacking

we use katana or broad sword.

narrow straight sword is for piercing or ci mostly.

when I was in high school in taiwan

after sword practice we were so thirsty.

I actually used the practice sword to chop water melon

I sliced it good,

so every student got a piece or slice of water melon to quench the thirst.

but for chopping pork on a board

we use wide and heavy knife or butcher knife and not long thing knife.

each has its utility.

now I am hungry and thirsty

I miss sugar cane, water melon and the hot summer days in taiwan.

---

Blog Entries
    I love to swing my Mao Diao in the woods like a mad man and chop off as many tree brenches as I can. If my Miao Dao is still sharp after that, It's a good useful weapon. If not, I'll throw it away ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Something odd about this....
    Taoism is rich with magic and violence while This quaint fellow's mind is devoid of Any intellect, taste, skill in photoshop, oral hygiene, the use of tact, soap or style. I'm not saying this because of all your witless taunts, mindless barbs and pathetic jabs, I'm saying this be cause I care.

Teh bar of human compassion has been raised just a teeny bit here

Speaking or exorcism Your exercise program is really working out buddy!
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 08-25-2011 at 06:29 PM.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    When the burglar breaks in, I can shoot him with my 1911 and not my Magic taoist gun nor do I have to gut him with my real, sharpened swords.

Living in the USA has HUGE advantages over nations that do not allow the people who pay for the nations to exist to arm and defend themselves. I feel for all the sheep in the UK, Canada, and Australia who let their Government tell them they cannot defend themselves from criminals.

People that play with toy martial arts weapons, un-sharpened swords and toy guns are playing at being a warrior/soldier/martial artist.

Beginners need to learn without cutting their hands off and should use a safe beginners weapon, but someone such as yourself CYMAC, who makes big claims as to being a martial arts teacher should go to the next level, or you are just playing at it like a child.
    Remember with a burglar it's not WHAT YOU DO it's HOW YOU TELL IT ON THE POLICE REPORT! (the difference between a manslaughter beef and self defense..)
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

This is another sword that is in the collection called "Hero Sword", it's a movie replica sword but it is quite good too. The grip is nicely wrapped with some good grip tape and so you can really get a good grip with it. The blade is tough, we have had accidental hit on hard objects and metals and no damage at all. Great sword that doesn't get loosen over heavy use too. No wobbling, no loosening and it is sturdy, heavy good sword. THIS IS STRONG.
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

I gave one of these away once the over sized pommel (knob on the end) impedes your ability to thrust effectively.
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 08-25-2011 at 11:36 PM.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    I gave one of these away once the over sized pommel (knob on the end) impedes your ability to thrust effectively.
    Not really, depends on how you strike and thrust with different skills. Different swords designs give you a different feeling, technique, skills, and insights as well. Opens your mind up alot when you try different swords. That's the fun in sword art~

劍中藏神神意通, 兩刃之間不留風,
    融身劍內由身法, 打出劍招也不同....

When you feel the designer of the sword, you know what they have in mind, and you will fall in love with it when you get the feeling too.

me only practice with bamboo stick

then wooden sword.

nice and shiny ones are saved for "performance" or show.

my point is that good ones are preserved, polished for display.

I practice with cheap alternative that can be damaged and replaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by CYMac View Post
    Not really, depends on how you strike and thrust with different skills. Different swords designs give you a different feeling, technique, skills, and insights as well. Opens your mind up alot when you try different swords. That's the fun in sword art~

劍中藏神神意通, 兩刃之間不留風,
    融身劍內由身法, 打出劍招也不同....

When you feel the designer of the sword, you know what they have in mind, and you will fall in love with it when you get the feeling too.
    Lacked functionality for my taste and style.
    Sorry to appear critical but I assure you it is good natured.
    Peace
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Quote Originally Posted by CYMac View Post

劍中藏神神意通, 兩刃之間不留風,
    融身劍內由身法, 打出劍招也不同....

In otherwords Sifu Kisu, if you can't use the cheap POS, you didn't learn Teh Reelz from Taoverse Doody.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

To be fair the last sword he posted is a decent wall-hanger.

I still think it's shanzhai. There is a hero movie replica sword made by one of the Longquan forges but IIRC, it used a greener pallet for the fittings, and the wrap on the hilt was completely different.

Notwithstanding that, I've got uglier stuff that I've hung on my walls in the past.

Like the sword I picked up at Shaolin and subsequently broke while cut-testing because the tang was actually welded onto the blade - and poorly.

Anyway, I wouldn't practice with that sword, but these days I usually either practice with wasters, or with my Naumburg Sword.

Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

lol@wallhanger. I got one of those last night.

a "Blade of the day walker" replica from the movie Blade.

It's actually quite nice, but I don't want to use it because...well, you know, it's a "replica from a movie" and ergo, not really a functional weapon.so onto the stand it goes and stays.

Here's what it is. I can't believe this sells for 150! yeesh! lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    lol@wallhanger. I got one of those last night.

a "Blade of the day walker" replica from the movie Blade.

It's actually quite nice, but I don't want to use it because...well, you know, it's a "replica from a movie" and ergo, not really a functional weapon.so onto the stand it goes and stays.

Here's what it is. I can't believe this sells for 150! yeesh! lol
    I've handled that blade before. It's the most f-ing back-weighted sword I've ever seen. I swear the balance point is a foot past the pommel - the opposite direction from the blade.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.