Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Sin The' admits in court he made it all up.

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    and they were right, all of our woulds are ending, and beginning at each and every moment..

sorry but i have been truly blessed by what i have learned, evil often lies in the intent and the only intent i must worry over is my own.
    And the intent of others wishing to do you harm.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

So did this guy know any other arts before he made up his own forms or is his whole martial catalogue made up stuff? Does he even have foundation from other arts that he used to invent his own forms?

Has any SD cat ever gone into pro competition? If so, how did they do?

How many people here feel that the SD foundations they have seen are solid? I'm only asking people who have not paid to learn SD.

"So did this guy know any other arts before he made up his own forms or is his whole martial catalogue made up stuff?"

The term "made up" can mean three things:

1.) A master of a style can "make up" a form in the sense that it is a modification or an existing form. For instance..some have stated that the form known as 'Fu-Hok"(tiger crane fist) in Hung Ga is a modification of an earlier form known as the "Ng Ying Kuen"(5 animal form). So you have certain aspects of the original form eliminated or certain movements are changed here and there. I'm only using Fu Hok as an example. I mean no disrespect towards any Hung Kuen practitioners.

2.) Someone can "make up" a form by watching someone else perform a form once and from memory..try and "wing it". As evidenced by some of the stuff I've seen Sin Kwang The try and pass off as a Mantis form.

3.) Someone can make up a history of a mystical wolf man face master who was "grandmaster" of the Shaolin temple(of which to the best of my knowledge no such title has ever existed).

Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post
    "I've been frequenting these forums for years and understand all the criticisms (and agree with many of them)"

and you STILL study Shaolin-Do?
    I don't formally train anywhere now due to injury. But yes I would still do SD because of the respect I have for my teacher's martial ability. It never mattered that much to me the origins. The material is applicable. I've sparred and trained with several different practitioners of different styles, some frequent these forums and are respected, and never felt outclassed by my ability despiste it's dubious origins. Why would that surprise you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

judge pen makes a sad point that quality of kung fu is so bad in america that there is no difference between made up ones and "traditional".

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    judge pen makes a sad point that quality of kung fu is so bad in america that there is no difference between made up ones and "traditional".
    Well, here's the thing: When I was first became interested in training martial arts, I was in a very rural part of the country, and the realistic options were an okiniawan karate school, an generic "karate class" and an SD class. By far the SD class was the best in terms of price, value and (most importantly) quality of instruction. I looked at all the schools and this wasn't even a question. Later when I moved out of that area for law school, and I had trained very hard, reached 1st black and had occasion to have tested my skills in a couple of self-defense situations and in an regional open style tournament (where I was the only SD participant), I began dabbling in other arts, but came back to SD because I found an excellent teacher that was more about the conditioning and the application than the form. It was also about that time that I started frequenting these forums so I was training through 4th black in SD knowing all of the criticisms involved. To me, it didn't change the quality of the training but I would not have felt that was if I had a different teacher.

Often times the style you train in is a function of availability and location as much as anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Ahhh!! So we are not so different from China after all!

"Well truth be known if it works and Makes you stronger then it is Good"
    Bruce Lee
    It depends on what you want I guess. I have found my choice. I am beginning training this month at a School that has a sound history in Northern Shaolin , Hung Jia, Chen large and small frame and Pa Kuaas well as Tang Lang under two teachers with a combined 55 years experience and who love to train and are true Kung fu people. I will let you know how it goes. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

There actually is a huge difference.

what happens is that people take advantage of the ignorance of others. That is the entire foundation of marketing anything that is not an actual object product.

knowledge transfers have no guarantee anyway. Nobody learns to fight through osmosis.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Well, here's the thing: When I was first became interested in training martial arts, I was in a very rural part of the country, and the realistic options were an okiniawan karate school, an generic "karate class" and an SD class.
    Is't Shaolin Do just generic karate in the first place? Generic karate with Chinese trappings.

Generic karate with mantis claws and crane beaks

YES u are right hate to say it but that is what it is. I spent much time and effort in SD and got alot from it but not what I really wanted. KC we are all just students anyway.
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    "Well truth be known if it works and Makes you stronger then it is Good"
    Bruce Lee
    It depends on what you want I guess. I have found my choice. I am beginning training this month at a School that has a sound history in Northern Shaolin , Hung Jia, Chen large and small frame and Pa Kuaas well as Tang Lang under two teachers with a combined 55 years experience and who love to train and are true Kung fu people. I will let you know how it goes. KC
    Is this school in Kentucky?

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post

Often times the style you train in is a function of availability and location as much as anything else.
    its ok to train made up martial arts. its ok to feel loyalty and attachment. the key here is, sin the lied to you, and you guys either dont care, or are ok with that. you guys know fully now shaolin do has nothing to do with shaolin.

my point is

1. man should not allow others to fuk him. you let sin the fuk you so you are less than a man.

2. anyone that is content with being deceived and lied to is a subhuman animal.

i am not attacking you. this is the truth.
    Last edited by bawang; 04-02-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by I Hate Ashida Kim View Post
    I'm thinking of someone else who made it all up, too.
    Who? (be dat)

If I just grab a man by his throat and punch his head until he stops twitching... Does it matter if I made that move up or learned it from someone?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"