Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shadow Boxing

Shadow Boxing

So, my heavy bag at home finally gave up the ghost, probably gonna be a couple weeks before I have time to replace it, so I used it as an excuse to focus more on shadow boxing.

Yesterday's routine:
    rounds=3 minutes, 30 second breaks

Round 1- footwork from right lead, normal footwork, nothing fancy, just to get the legs warmed up
    Round 2- Footwork from left lead
    Round 3- Combos involving kicks to strikes from right lead, light and loose
    Round 4- Combos involving kicks to strikes from left lead, light and loose
    Round 5- Combos involving strikes to kicks from right lead, light and loose
    Round 6- Combos involving strikes to kicks from left lead, light and loose
    Round 7- Combos involving footwork and evasions and switch steps
    Round 8- Combos involving footwork and evasions and switch steps
    Round 9- Free form, working in 1-2 new moves
    Round 10- Free form, working in same 1-2 new moves
    Round 11- Free form, working in same 1-2 new moves
    Round 12- Free form, working in same 1-2 new moves

General rules I try to focus on-

-keeping my eyes open and aware of the space in front of me trumps concern with form, though the two must meet in the long run
    -Footwork must flow from light to rooted without preference
    -No stopping, dramatic pauses, etc.
    -strikes must come from various steps
    -feints should be a part of each round and for each technique
    -in between technique, continue shuffling footwork and strategic head movement, constant movement without hopping or dragging of the feet.
    Last edited by Faux Newbie; 11-07-2013 at 09:32 AM.

I love shadow boxing!

All my most terrifying enemies are shadows.

Ohmigosh, someone moved my thread.

It's Stalinism, I say. Stalinism!

Or maybe not.

Every time I turn on the light they run away, just like strangers in the night!

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Newbie View Post
    Ohmigosh, someone moved my thread.

It's Stalinism, I say. Stalinism!

Or maybe not.
    You are supposed to keep your thread in your sewing basket, that's how you keep from losing it!

Good sets!!

I believe shadow boxing is a great form of practice and usually work in at least two to three rounds into my circuit routine that I do, although I generally always freestyle my shadowboxing it is a great breakdown you have done to do specific training and improve.

My circuit usually go like this: 3 min rds, 1 min rests

Two rounds of freestyle shadow boxing

Two rounds of Double End Bag

Two rounds of Thai Bag (All Strikes)

One round of Jabs

One round of Body Snatcher (Here I usually do hooks, uppercuts, knees, elbows, roundhouse)

One round of Snap Kicks (I have one hard filled and one soft filled Thai bag, on the softer I do front leg roundhouse, crescents and snap kicks, techniques hard to do on a harder bag)

One round of Knee Drills on Grappling Dummy

I try and mix it up week to week, but this is the basis. Two days per week of this along with the drills and sparring while I teach plus three days of strength training works well for me.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Good sets!!
    Thanks!

I believe shadow boxing is a great form of practice and usually work in at least two to three rounds into my circuit routine that I do, although I generally always freestyle my shadowboxing
    I always try to end with four rounds freestyle. Seems like if I just work specifics, I tend to get tunnel vision in regards to my practice.

it is a great breakdown you have done to do specific training and improve.
    Thanks again. That's definitely my goal. For example, I tend to step in too tight for sidekicks, so this is a good way for me to fix that problem.

My circuit usually go like this: 3 min rds, 1 min rests

Two rounds of freestyle shadow boxing

Two rounds of Double End Bag
    I'm looking forward to getting a double end bag. Fun stuff.

Two rounds of Thai Bag (All Strikes)
    Probably going to be my next purchase.

One round of Jabs
    I tend to avoid rounds of a single tech, mostly just to vary my movements and avoid repetitive stress, so if I work jabs, I'll tend to involve something else as well. But I'm old.

One round of Body Snatcher (Here I usually do hooks, uppercuts, knees, elbows, roundhouse)
    That's definitely a good idea for some rounds for this week, I like to shadow box with those by working entries and withdrawing.

One round of Snap Kicks (I have one hard filled and one soft filled Thai bag, on the softer I do front leg roundhouse, crescents and snap kicks, techniques hard to do on a harder bag)
    Nice!

One round of Knee Drills on Grappling Dummy
    My now deceased heavy bag would make a good makeshift dummy, I'll have to remember that.

I try and mix it up week to week, but this is the basis. Two days per week of this along with the drills and sparring while I teach plus three days of strength training works well for me.
    I've got access to an olympic size pool, I'm going to start swimming more, as I find that actually translates well to having 'alive' legwork, I find.

Thanks again. That's definitely my goal. For example, I tend to step in too tight for sidekicks, so this is a good way for me to fix that problem.

Working Side Thrust Kicks on the heavy bag has always helped me with distance and timing, as you throw kicks and the bag moves back and forth it helps with both of those. Nothing sucks worse than mis-timing and throwing your hip out of joint by overextending or flat out missing the target.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Working Side Thrust Kicks on the heavy bag has always helped me with distance and timing, as you throw kicks and the bag moves back and forth it helps with both of those. Nothing sucks worse than mis-timing and throwing your hip out of joint by overextending or flat out missing the target.
    That is exactly what made me realize my sidekick needed work. Minus throwing my hip out of joint, thankfully.

I always do 10 min of shadow boxing to warm up and to cool down.
    I will do 5 min rounds sometimes, not real pattern per say just whatever I feel like ding.
    Sometimes I just go the full 10 min non-stop and others I stick with a traditional 3min x 30 sec like yours.

I don't spend THAT much time on it, just enough to get the blood going.
    I think if I had 90 min to kill, maybe I would do more but to be honest, time is at a premium...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Yeah, I don't always do anywhere near that many rounds of shadowboxing, but right now, it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Newbie View Post
    That is exactly what made me realize my sidekick needed work. Minus throwing my hip out of joint, thankfully.
    One of the great advantages of the Thai bag is that it bends nice with thrusting or power kicks, and as I said, that movement can help with timing and judging distance. One of the important aspects of kicking the bag is to develop power, but it also helps with targeting, as I usually pick a spot and pinpoint where I am kicking.

Someone holding mitts does this better, but often times we don't always have the luxury of a partner being there. If you have a good Thai bag, you can do different drills such as this to refine the kick in other areas aside from power.

Here is a short clip of me doing ax kick and jump spinning back kick, sorry the quality of the video isn't good, as it cuts out in the middle, but these are the kinds of drills I like to do for timing and to have a target to hit, and they of course can be done alone if you have a heavy bag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKwC2bG5ZtU

One of the great advantages of the Thai bag is that it bends nice with thrusting or power kicks, and as I said, that movement can help with timing and judging distance. One of the important aspects of kicking the bag is to develop power, but it also helps with targeting, as I usually pick a spot and pinpoint where I am kicking.

Someone holding mitts does this better, but often times we don't always have the luxury of a partner being there. If you have a good Thai bag, you can do different drills such as this to refine the kick in other areas aside from power.

Here is a short clip of me doing ax kick and jump spinning back kick, sorry the quality of the video isn't good, as it cuts out in the middle, but these are the kinds of drills I like to do for timing and to have a target to hit, and they of course can be done alone if you have a heavy bag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKwC2bG5ZtU
    The HB is for working on beating up an "opponent in the corner" type of thing, whereas the Pads are for working on hitting a moving target that hits back ( the holder should be very active in making sure your defense is up).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The HB is for working on beating up an "opponent in the corner" type of thing, whereas the Pads are for working on hitting a moving target that hits back ( the holder should be very active in making sure your defense is up).
    Very true, my old boxing coach was great at smacking you upside the head any time you dropped your guard.

I think the best way to describe HB work also is the spar the bag as you would an opponent. There is nothing wrong with beating it senseless if it is simply for cardio reasons, but techniques should be crisp and combinations set up. It's always easy to spot a newbie when you see someone wailing away on the bag, which looks like they would in an actual fight. An experienced MAst is going to be patient, crisp, quick, and set things up, just like when they fight.

The one advantage to the mitts is if you have a good holder, you don't have to worry about that, they make you do it.