Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Krav Maga

Cross-train judo, then absorb it in to your san shou. Judo is a very practical way for a smaller guy to get a bigger guy to at least taste pavement/sand.

If it were a real fight, you would have hit him in the eyes/throat/temple/ear slaps/center of nose/testicles/center of knee cap/shin/sternal notch and back of the head and speed/clear mindedness/hand-eye coordination, not size, would have been important.
    "Siezing oppurtunities causes them to multiply" Sun Tze

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot View Post
    Plum Dragon - Thanks for the advice. You see I'm not training in class anymore as my sifu stopped teaching, so I don't get a chance to spar that much. I'm not sure what other ways I can train reactions...
    Monkeyfoot:
    I can sympathize with your dilemma; unfortunately, trying to get better at martial arts without an individual to apply pressure to you is about akin to trying to get better at catching a long-range football pass without having someone who can throw it to you. The crossover from single man drills like forms and stance work and such to skill in fighting is very close to zero.

Coincidentally, there are people in the UK that can help you. If you want help finding something that can help you gain skill, tell me where you are in the UK and give me an email address and Ill see what I can do...

Quote Originally Posted by iron_leg_dave View Post
    If it were a real fight, you would have hit him in the eyes/throat/temple/ear slaps/center of nose/testicles/center of knee cap/shin/sternal notch and back of the head and speed/clear mindedness/hand-eye coordination, not size, would have been important.
    And what, exactly, if the bigger guy also had these goals in mind and could execute movement with speed/clear mindedness, etc? These sorts of things are not the answer to winning a fight if you are smaller. Actual skill is more important. the ability to react properly and execute your "technique" real-time, under stress.
    Last edited by PlumDragon; 05-27-2010 at 07:13 AM.

PD - Thanks for the feedback, its appreciated. I'm thinking i'll just bite the bullet and join a school here in London, even though none of them are mantis

Here is another thread I posted regarding schools...
    http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=57242

I am kinda leaning towards Shaolin UK. Although at first I thought mainly doing San Shou would suck, I'm actually thinking it might be a great way to build my body as well as train reactions etc, and then I can just start ripping apart my mantis forms in my own time....

Still not entirely sure...

PD - Thanks for the feedback, its appreciated. I'm thinking i'll just bite the bullet and join a school here in London, even though none of them are mantis

Here is another thread I posted regarding schools...
    http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=57242

I am kinda leaning towards Shaolin UK. Although at first I thought mainly doing San Shou would suck, I'm actually thinking it might be a great way to build my body as well as train reactions etc, and then I can just start ripping apart my mantis forms in my own time....

Still not entirely sure...
    Monkeyfoot,what branch of Mantis have you practiced?

Hardwork - I trained Qixing (HK LKW lineage) for around 4 or 5 years. I played with a bit of wing chun in that time too.

What ya thinking? You know of anyone in London?

Hardwork - I trained Qixing (HK LKW lineage) for around 4 or 5 years. I played with a bit of wing chun in that time too.

What ya thinking? You know of anyone in London?
    Unfortunately, I don't know much about the quality of Northern Mantis in London. As for Wing Chun, there seem to be more schools in London than Mc Donalds restaurants, but I doubt that most of them are any good. However, the Samuel Kwok and Victor Kan schools, together with the Lee Shing lineage schools may bear fruit depending on the Wing Chun you have studied before.

Would you consider a style other than Northern Mantis or Wing Chun?

By the way, what part of London are you at?
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 05-28-2010 at 03:24 AM.

I'm living in Stepney Green atm, but will be moving to columbia road (bethnal green) in 2 weeks time.

Yes theres lots of WingChun. I'd ideally like a style to compliment my mantis, something that when I'm sparring I can throw in my own mantis techniques. So WingChun is probably not an option as I reckon i'd get grilled if I start going against all their 'theories' lol.

these two look ok. Still not sure really.

http://www.shaolintempleuk.org/

www.tanglong.co.uk (though this seems somewhat wushu'ish...)

I'm living in Stepney Green atm, but will be moving to columbia road (bethnal green) in 2 weeks time.

Yes theres lots of WingChun. I'd ideally like a style to compliment my mantis, something that when I'm sparring I can throw in my own mantis techniques. So WingChun is probably not an option as I reckon i'd get grilled if I start going against all their 'theories' lol.

these two look ok. Still not sure really.
    I think the best way to find out is to try some classes and see how you feel. It seems that you are into a lot of sparring training, if so, then I guess that the Shaolin Temple UK would have that of training in its curriculum as part of their Sanda methodology. By the way, I had a look at their site and they seem to be offering Northern Mantis workshops which should be of interest to you.

On the other hand the Tang Long school has Bajiquan classes. Baji tuition is rare so it may be worth a try as well, because if the teaching is good then studying Bajiquan will enhance your kung fu arsenal.

If you try these schools and are not happy with them then Private Message me here and I may be able to help you in your quest with other suggestions of genuine kung fu but perhaps without a lot of sparring emphasis in their training.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post

If you try these schools and are not happy with them then Private Message me here and I may be able to help you in your quest with other suggestions of genuine kung fu but perhaps without a lot of sparring emphasis in their training.

Ooooh, maybe your 'secret' kungfu, shitforbrains?

Quote Originally Posted by Kansuke View Post
    Dave Ross, stop being a sore loser and don't troll this thread. Take you comments to an MMA thread where they are used to people like you.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 05-28-2010 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansuke View Post

Hardwork - Thanks for all the info. I am glad there are still some decent members on this forum who aren't just trolling all the time.

Ideally I'd like a class that teaches forms, rips them apart for real life application, and then also gets some sparring in as well.

So are you U.K based? If so where about? Any other classes in London you'd reccommend?

Thanks again

Krav Maga any good?

What do you guys think of Krav Maga for self defense?

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    so is ninjutsu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryArHjjACBc

and MMA is bull**** too
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syYsxVUQeV4

the Zen of all MA! It's all bullshat!

As Mr Bawang's stated
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Last edited by mawali; 06-19-2013 at 04:36 PM.