Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: The Role Of Stance trainning....

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    They were holding horse and crab walking sideways.

Just wondering how it applies to specificity. ;-)

It breaks up the monotony of training.

yeah, because pro atheletes always waste time just breaking up the monotony.

yeah, because pro atheletes always waste time just breaking up the monotony.
    Why would you think its a waste of time? that's just silly.

Look at boxers, they do road work, could their cardio be more improved by doing the same amount of time on the bag or sparring and have more effect on their boxing?
    Yes.
    But you can only do so much bag work and so much sparring, road work breaks the monotony and keeps the cardio there.
    Any boxing coach will tell you that if he is straight forward or cares enought to answer.

You think supplementary work like that is for what?

You think that bouncing up and done with a medicine ball makes you a better fighter? or road work is better than actual sparring to build up your cardio for fighting?
    Of course not.

The fact is, variety keeps the workouts alive and the intensity going.
    Common sense.

Isn't a crab walk where you are walking around on your hands and feet but face up with your bum twards the floor?

Or do you meen standing in horse stance and scooting sideways? If so, that's standard stance training. It's to teach you how to move around quickly without breaking root or "bobbing" your head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

The human body chnges best with variety. The ore yu can cange up your workouts, the better yu develop. That is why there are stance sets are 18 or more moves long. You don't just hold horse.

That is also why we do crab walks, water bugs, monkey jacks and a whole host of other things that are more general conditioing instead of just doing super sport specific drills all the time.

Don't do just pushups, do them wide, hands under shoulders, triangles, Dive bombs, circle pushups, mix pushups with bench pressing the bar, and dumbells, do one hand pushups, do them with one hand more forward, and another more back, do them on knuckles, finger tips, palms, knife hands, back of wrists. Do them fast, slow, even hold them halfway up. Do them however you can come up with, but make sure you allways do them differently.

This goes for every exercise you do, including your stances. Don't be afraid to hold half horse, or hold them at different levels. Hold Bow stance, Twisted Horse, then horse. Take the postures in your forms and hold them in different orders, hights or even do the transitions in between instead of the main postures. Just make sure every so often you change things up.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    The human body chnges best with variety. The ore yu can cange up your workouts, the better yu develop. That is why there are stance sets are 18 or more moves long. You don't just hold horse.

That is also why we do crab walks, water bugs, monkey jacks and a whole host of other things that are more general conditioing instead of just doing super sport specific drills all the time.

Don't do just pushups, do them wide, hands under shoulders, triangles, Dive bombs, circle pushups, mix pushups with bench pressing the bar, and dumbells, do one hand pushups, do them with one hand more forward, and another more back, do them on knuckles, finger tips, palms, knife hands, back of wrists. Do them fast, slow, even hold them halfway up. Do them however you can come up with, but make sure you allways do them differently.

This goes for every exercise you do, including your stances. Don't be afraid to hold half horse, or hold them at different levels. Hold Bow stance, Twisted Horse, then horse. Take the postures in your forms and hold them in different orders, hights or even do the transitions in between instead of the main postures. Just make sure every so often you change things up.
    This is totally applicable to supplementary exercises like I noted above, not so much for the "core" of your workout, ie: fighting.
    But also great for equipment work like the pads and the HB.

They were holding horse and crab walking sideways.

Just wondering how it applies to specificity. ;-)
    ok. episode 7? found a clip of it; thinkI know what you're talking about.

Making a stab at explaining the use of this as a drill. Have you ever done clinching drills from a high stance then from a low stance? It changes your ballance. Moving with the medicine ball in your arms is 'sposed to simulate trying to move in low clinch to wrangle for position.

Ok. That isn't a great description, but it's the best I got.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    ok. episode 7? found a clip of it; thinkI know what you're talking about.

Making a stab at explaining the use of this as a drill. Have you ever done clinching drills from a high stance then from a low stance? It changes your ballance. Moving with the medicine ball in your arms is 'sposed to simulate trying to move in low clinch to wrangle for position.

Ok. That isn't a great description, but it's the best I got.
    I was actually trying to bait 7* with that question, as these pro MMA fighters are essentially doing stance training. It's not directly applicaple to fighting, but more about alignment, endurance and pain tolerance...

OK, I'll sut up and let you bait Sev.

But it was a good question; kept me thinking half the day.

OK, so I'm watching TUF the other night, and they are carrying what looks like 50-lb medicine balls and crab walking in horse stance.

WTF does that have to do with fighting?
    sounds like an endurance exercise, like duck walking or hell, stance training. I would have to see it though - got a clip?

it could be an exercise in lower body explosiveness, similar to the keg carry that powerlifters do. 50ls is awfully light for that though.

Here's the question though - is it something they do all the time (doubtful) or is it something they just did on tuf that night? That doesn't coincide with anything I have ever seen in regards to fight training.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I was actually trying to bait 7* with that question, as these pro MMA fighters are essentially doing stance training. It's not directly applicaple to fighting, but more about alignment, endurance and pain tolerance...
    LOL, I figured as much. Did I pass?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Why would you think its a waste of time? that's just silly.

Look at boxers, they do road work, could their cardio be more improved by doing the same amount of time on the bag or sparring and have more effect on their boxing?
    that is actually something I have given a lot of thought to. boxing is very anaerobic. full speed punching in bursts for short intervals - very anaerobic. But, when you are fighting for multiple rounds, your cardio system becomes involved. That is the point of roadwork - to prepare you to fight multiple rounds. but even in the 12th round, you are throwing punches in burst, which by its very nature is anaerobic. running will work your cardiovascular system better than sparring for 12 rounds would.

Take me for example. I am used to sparring 2 - 3 min rounds for 30 mins in class - it is anaerobic and I am used to it. However, I will be gasping for air if you ask me to run 3 miles. Why? two different systems are being trained.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

You have muscular endurance, and cardio endurance. The better your muscular endurance, the less you tax your cardio system. So in the same spirit as running for cardio endurance, you should also do stances for muscular endurance...even though both exercises don't translate directly to fighting motions.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Here's an example of how I use stance training. I just started working on Harai Goshi and Uchi Mata. The Uchi requires you to do a stealing step deep between the other guys legs, and have all of you weight on your front leg. Easier said then done. So I started working my cross horse a lot, focusing on having my entry leg way out, but 100 % of my weight on my front leg. There's a couple other exercises I'm doing from S.C., but that's my stance work and the WHY to it. When I get the throw down good, I may practice it for a while till I get good, if I choose to, but then I'll put it away and pull out another if and when I need it.

I guess I just don't see the advantage in training stance for an hour a few days a week, when I can train my whole body in 1 hour twice a week. That's more time I can devote to the mat.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Doing a full stance routine DOES train the full body. Try doing a full stance set like the CLF's 18 Louhan hands form. Just hold each postures for 2 minutes, both sides. I guarentee you can't even do it.

Or just hold Horse with some traditional Iron Rings on. THAT is a whole body workkout like yyou would not believe!

For the Women:

+ = & a