Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your favorite WC techniques?

No one for a wing chun version of monkey steals peaches?

Would that be a variation of/combo with "gwai ma" (kneeling horse)?

That'll be Gwaima Biusau Cum Na Sik!!! With a roll off to finish...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Drum roll or bacon roll?

Must be lunchtime if I'm posting about food.

Bacon every time dude. But that's breakfast! Lunchtime is for wimps
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That will only bring about a MMA response? Why say that?

joy chaudhuri
    i would just like to point out that no one from the MMA crowd took the bait...although that still didnt stop people argueing about MMA on this thread

Arguments about MMA?? You must be reading a different thread

Just a difference of opinion between me and Yung Chun, who seems to approach his training with mainly sparring in mind. No biggie
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Arguments about MMA?? You must be reading a different thread

Just a difference of opinion between me and Yung Chun, who seems to approach his training with mainly sparring in mind. No biggie
    In my lineage everything is a precursor to sparring. Sparring with the hands, with the long pole and with the knives. This is very important!!! Without it you have a system that cannot function under pressure. Prove me otherwise!!!

There are certain systems of WC that put more emphasis on forms and tradition but from my experience its the same as driving a car on the PS3 then thinkng you can drive a real car on the roads!!!

End of!!

GH

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    i would just like to point out that no one from the MMA crowd took the bait...although that still didnt stop people argueing about MMA on this thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MMA has it's own forum..except for Lone Tiger's comment there has been little discussion of mma on this thread - if memory serves.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    In my lineage everything is a precursor to sparring. Sparring with the hands, with the long pole and with the knives. This is very important!!! Without it you have a system that cannot function under pressure. Prove me otherwise!!!
    Yes, I practised like that too although we always refer to sparring as an 'interaction'. Set by set in the early days and more freestyle as you gain confidence. We 'sparred' one against two with the pole until someone had their eyelid torn out and we realized there must be a 'safer' alternative.

You should put up some of this weaponry sparring for us to see what you mean. I think you're a bit keen to come across as a competent fighter when actually you're just playing around with sticks. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And your lineage is Sifu Bayer is it not?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Just a difference of opinion between me and Yung Chun, who seems to approach his training with mainly sparring in mind.
    Like anything else it should be about function and functionality...

This like saying so and so approaches his ping pong training with playing in mind. Yes that's what you do if you want to be good at ping pong, you focus on playing ping pong.

Instead of the theory of ping pong, the form of ping pong how great so and so's ping pong teacher was; how rarefied one's training of ping pong is; how powerful one's ping pong terms are; the best ping pong drills; how many years you should drill ping pong before actually playing it; what you would do if you actually had to play ping pong, etc..
    Last edited by YungChun; 02-11-2011 at 03:42 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

That's why I say, "Let function rule over form" and "Let application be your guide".

I think its assbackwards when you learn a form and try to "interpret" it. Forms come from application, not vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    That's why I say, "Let function rule over form" and "Let application be your guide".

I think its assbackwards when you learn a form and try to "interpret" it. Forms come from application, not vice versa.
    I would need to disagree with this in part: The form should provide the guide or reference for the application. While the application needs to be present, you need a starting point or frame of reference for that application. This reference is found in the form. Much like each writen language has to have a common reference of letters with which to form words. While one needs the words, the alphabet and rules of grammer are necessary in order for the individual letters to be combined in an understandable format to form words, sentences and paragraphs. Our techniques are like the alphabet and our forms are like the sentences and paragraphs which allow them to make sense and be useful and understanable to others, imho.

I think that as one explores the forms and begins to understand them on a deeper level than one will be able to dsicover new and different applications. Also once one truly understands the form then one can go outside of the box, much like some writers can ignore the rules of grammer and yet compose a bestseller. They are still using the same letters, but have made the expression their own.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Uppercut round punch (not hook)

Some may not like this but I've used it in full contact matches and I'd do it again if the situation was right to use it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YsawCZ-MaA
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    I would need to disagree with this in part: The form should provide the guide or reference for the application. While the application needs to be present, you need a starting point or frame of reference for that application. This reference is found in the form. Much like each writen language has to have a common reference of letters with which to form words. While one needs the words, the alphabet and rules of grammer are necessary in order for the individual letters to be combined in an understandable format to form words, sentences and paragraphs. Our techniques are like the alphabet and our forms are like the sentences and paragraphs which allow them to make sense and be useful and understanable to others, imho.

I think that as one explores the forms and begins to understand them on a deeper level than one will be able to dsicover new and different applications. Also once one truly understands the form then one can go outside of the box, much like some writers can ignore the rules of grammer and yet compose a bestseller. They are still using the same letters, but have made the expression their own.
    Not bad for an ex-cop from Philly.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr