Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What does "Siu Lim Tau" mean?

Sil Lim is simple. So simple that what you see is what you get. There is nothing hidden within it. No secrets. We can alter it or leave it be, depending upon our needs. I have altered and added techniques, repeated techniques over and over, all sorts of things that I might have had trouble with. It is a very simple training aid that habituates your actions to be the same every time you apply them. Trying to read too much into it is going to make it far too complicated. It should not be complicated at all, but remain as simple as you can possibly make it.
    I think people try to see hidden information in the moves, but what they are looking at are concepts that can be applied to various situations, but these are not secret or hidden. You just have to use a little imagination.

LCP

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    It means "A little presence in the moment as a foundation".

It also means to get out of your own way.

Make the "Little" me come into the grand nature, and put that first.

It is a failure to not live up to Siu Nim Tao.
    I like that definition.

Would you be so kind as to elaborate on how you came to that interpretation?

Thanks!

Siu means Minute, detail, subtle

Lien means training

Tau means essential

So,

Siu Lien Tau = Essential of Minute/Detail/subtle training.

In today's word, it means the devil is in the details training.

According to evidence, we now know:

Siu of Siu Lien Tau was inherit from the Siu Training of Emei 12 Zhuang.

In Emei 12 Zhuang, Siu training is to train using the intention to subdue both one's own mind and the enemy. In this training, it uses fast Qi and Jing operation with the emphasis on all things source from the minute details.

Also, this training is to train to know the details and subtle so that one could liberate or remove one's limitation.

This is a set give birth to unlimited applications via one liberates or remove one's limitation.

So, why is it not training applications? because every application is a limit. and to have no limit means one needs to be unbound. and Thus, again, the training is suppose to remove one's limitation in mind and body.

It is via this remove of one's limitation one be able to make use of everyting without be tie up by a certain concept or certain move.

However, for past 100 years or so, this set has become a training of tie oneself up instead of librate oneself to unleast the power of unbound and using a minute move or effortless to dissolve the incoming attack.

SLT is not a basic set but an advance set. an advance set to help one remove one's limitation into formless. Thus, it said come accept goes let it, using silence to lead action.

The training of SLT is a journey of liberation toward boundless. the lesser one's limitation the closer one could do the come accept.... and thus the closer one to the silence.

It is an un ended journey but keep refining in every practice. It is not doing something to meet certain criterial or form or shape.

The core of training it is as simple as at every move can one be mindfully aware with the mind quiet and totally effortless to move the physical with ease.

This quiet mind and effortless physical with ease are the weapon one cultivate and carry with one when facing challenge. Not some robotic programing applications or structure. It is about let go and let GOD be.

The reason of it is fast in response because there is lesser and lesser limit or obstrucle in mind and body after one keep training with it.

The reason it can resolve incoming force with ease and effortless because it doesnt create limitation for oneself in term of mind and body and it doesnt bewitch by others' move or momentum, nothing fix thus everything flow.

Why Qi is also train in this set? because when the body is loosing up, the mind quiet down, the breathing deepen, Qi realm got to surface to aid one to have better handling of one's body inward.

That simple, let go and let God be, but most cant do it.

Happiness/Freedom = Simple
    Struggle = complex

If your training doesnt lead you to the Happiness and Freedom, try my simple path and see for yourself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2nxr...eature=related

誰在懸崖沏一壺茶
    溫熱前世的牽掛 
    Last edited by Hendrik; 01-26-2010 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrat View Post
    I like that definition.

Would you be so kind as to elaborate on how you came to that interpretation?

Thanks!
    Siu = small, but one is represented by one's self is small; what counts is the great or Buddha Nature...

Nim = composed of 2 characters: Present mind

Tao = the head, the start, the foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post

Lien means training

Tau means essential

So,

In Emei 12 Zhuang, Siu training is to train using the intention to subdue both one's own mind and the enemy. In this training, it uses fast Qi and Jing operation with the emphasis on all things source from the minute details.

Also, this training is to train to know the details and subtle so that one could liberate or remove one's limitation.

This is a set give birth to unlimited applications via one liberates or remove one's limitation.

So, why is it not training applications? because every application is a limit. and to have no limit means one needs to be unbound. and Thus, again, the training is suppose to remove one's limitation in mind and body.

It is via this remove of one's limitation one be able to make use of everyting without be tie up by a certain concept or certain move.

However, for past 100 years or so, this set has become a training of tie oneself up instead of librate oneself to unleast the power of unbound and using a minute move or effortless to dissolve the incoming attack.

SLT is not a basic set but an advance set. an advance set to help one remove one's limitation into formless. Thus, it said come accept goes let it, using silence to lead action.

The training of SLT is a journey of liberation toward boundless. the lesser one's limitation the closer one could do the come accept.... and thus the closer one to the silence.

It is an un ended journey but keep refining in every practice. It is not doing something to meet certain criterial or form or shape.

The core of training it is as simple as at every move can one be mindfully aware with the mind quiet and totally effortless to move the physical with ease.

This quiet mind and effortless physical with ease are the weapon one cultivate and carry with one when facing challenge. Not some robotic programing applications or structure. It is about let go and let GOD be.

The reason of it is fast in response because there is lesser and lesser limit or obstrucle in mind and body after one keep training with it.

The reason it can resolve incoming force with ease and effortless because it doesnt create limitation for oneself in term of mind and body and it doesnt bewitch by others' move or momentum, nothing fix thus everything flow.

Why Qi is also train in this set? because when the body is loosing up, the mind quiet down, the breathing deepen, Qi realm got to surface to aid one to have better handling of one's body inward.

Struggle = complex

If your training doesnt lead you to the Happiness and Freedom, try my simple path and see for yourself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

誰在懸崖沏一壺茶
    溫熱前世的牽掛 

This is what I mean by complicated. This is enough to confuse anyone. I have read this over and over in order to be fair in my assessment, but I have to say that I am still just as confused. Sil Lim is not ment to be complicated. It is ment to be simple. Simple is best understood, where complicated is seldom understood.
    Everything has a beginning. Everything. Even Wing Chun training. Sil Lim is the beginning. It is a simple hand form where one links all his hand techniques in a chain and trains them going from one to the next, left and then right, so that both hands get the same training. It teaches the new trainee how to apply his techniques by doing them over and over. The day comes when it is no longer as necessary as it is in the beginning. You then move to the next forms.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelee View Post
    Here's a crazy different take:

- siulim (shaolin in fujian dialect)

- tao (thought or way)

The Way of Shaolin?
    You're refering to siu-lum/shao-lin.
    We are speaking about completely different characters.
    The Tao you used for 'way/path' is not the same character as tauh 'head'
    In Cantonese the same word can be said in different tones and have different meanings and characters.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    This is what I mean by complicated. This is enough to confuse anyone. I have read this over and over in order to be fair in my assessment, but I have to say that I am still just as confused. Sil Lim is not ment to be complicated. It is ment to be simple. Simple is best understood, where complicated is seldom understood.
    Everything has a beginning. Everything. Even Wing Chun training. Sil Lim is the beginning. It is a simple hand form where one links all his hand techniques in a chain and trains them going from one to the next, left and then right, so that both hands get the same training. It teaches the new trainee how to apply his techniques by doing them over and over. The day comes when it is no longer as necessary as it is in the beginning. You then move to the next forms.

Seriously, do you know why it is so complicated for you?

Simply because you keep using your mind to figure out what I post. and your mind doesnt have the answer because your mind dont know.

quiet your mind and what I post above will reveal in front of you effortlessly. dont figure out, let go and let things surface by itself. Similar to doing Chi Sau, cant go the path of trying to figure things out.

If you cant stop trying to figure out you cant get to where it is.

Keeping using your mind the way you do will block you off from knowing Qi and awareness. you become the slave of your own mind programing.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 01-26-2010 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    In my experience I'm finding that the development and learning of the tools that WC provides is anything but simple. It's complex and precise. The ability to bring it about, once learned is the easy part. When one is learning how to punch thru the WC system, lots of things are happening at the same time. There's lower body alignment and balance (what is your hips and torso doing at this time), this has too be coordinated with your elbow initiation and movement as well, since this is what leads our upper body strikes, not a simple process. Eventually one learns this so that it is natural (kinda like first learning how to crawl, walk and then run). Once it is natural you wonder what the big deal was learning it.

The way I've been taught to think about Siu Nim Tau, is too look at it as a "Young Idea" being brought about into one's awareness and movement. One learns to feel what the body is doing by putting it into unnatural places and stances. All of it is uncomfortable in the beginning, but soon you learn to relax into it. Then you learn the young idea of intention and what the purpose is of things. People think that YJKYMA is a fighting stance. It is not, rather it is teaching one to become aware of there lower body, angles and structures, while training alone, reminders persay. In the upper body, one learns that the elbow has to initiate all the arm movements, this is done in a still environment, so that total focus can be placed on the elbow bringing the arm out in tan, back in wu and out again X3 for fok sau. The ability to focus, learned in the 1st section of the form, is used again and again in other training drills thru out the system.

James

Lien means training

Tau means essential

So,

Struggle = complex

誰在懸崖沏一壺茶
    溫熱前世的牽掛 
    Christ, I actually understood that!!! LOL!

Lien means training

Tau means essential

So,

Well Hendrik, now you have translated the Su Lien Tao, how about the Siu Lim Tao this thread was about??

I can understand what you're saying in relation to the way we can practice the SLT (by letting go etc) but when you say this it seems confusing (and I like Lee CP believe this form should be kept simple)

SLT is not a basic set but an advance set. an advance set to help one remove one's limitation into formless. Thus, it said come accept goes let it, using silence to lead action...

... It is an un ended journey but keep refining in every practice. It is not doing something to meet certain criterial or form or shape.
    Firstly, the kuit you use 'come accept etc' is specifically related to interactive practice (chi sau) and not intended for SLT FME although I can see how it could be I think that would cause confusion.

Just as your final comment about having 'no shape or form' seems a bit strange as we all have similar 'looking' versions of SLT.

Now, if you're just talking of the practice of 'Siu' (as you explain originates from Emei) then I see what you're saying. But I personally feel this could also be misread/interpreted wrongly as it sounds to me like you're saying the SLT form itself (as practised by millions) need not exist at all
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 01-27-2010 at 12:16 PM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Hendrik's reply to Lee Chiang Po

Simply because you keep using your mind to figure out what I post. and your mind doesnt have the answer because your mind dont know.

quiet your mind and what I post above will reveal in front of you effortlessly. dont figure out, let go and let things surface by itself. Similar to doing Chi Sau, cant go the path of trying to figure things out.

Keeping using your mind the way you do will block you off from knowing Qi and awareness. you become the slave of your own mind programing.

The famous Foghorn Leghorn sayings: Lookit here son, I said son ... I'm trying to learn you some thing here.

Well Hendrik, now you have translated the Su Lien Tao, how about the Siu Lim Tao this thread was about?? ------

My WCK lineage doing Siu LIen Tao. so that is how I answer.

I dont know Siu Lim Tao.

I can understand what you're saying in relation to the way we can practice the SLT (by letting go etc) but when you say this it seems confusing (and I like Lee CP believe this form should be kept simple) ------

Moving a finger is simple? How simple is the Nature of moving a finger? the Intention made, the blood flow, the muscle ...., ..etc?

Nature careless if a human think it is simple or not.

Firstly, the kuit you use 'come accept etc' is specifically related to interactive practice (chi sau) and not intended for SLT FME although I can see how it could be I think that would cause confusion.

There is no confusion.

This Kuit if it is used specifically related to practice Chi sau and not intended for SLT doesnt making any sense at all.

This Kuit is for real life applications from mind to body at all time. 24/7/365.

It is clear

Comes accept means non resistance in MIND and body. If one Resist one stuck.
    Dont believe me?

Think of something you dont like and feel how your mind resist it and create all kind of tension and sensation in your chest or abdoment or head.....etc

Next time when you go to the restorant, and the waiter bring you food which you are not order. practice come accept...... Just says thanks and let is passed.
    not create all kind of resistance and angle..... and waste of energy.

How the heck is one with this type of resistance state be lively and flow?
    It is self damaging.

So, it is a key to train in SLT to not get into this type of state. That is what the Kuit is for.

Again, it is simple when one knows it. otherwise it is complicate because the mind doesnt have the answer.

Just as your final comment about having 'no shape or form' seems a bit strange as we all have similar 'looking' versions of SLT.

No shape or form doesnt mean not shape or form, I am a human I have shape and form. even water has shape or form.

No Shape or form means not attached to any shape or form. and not resistance to any shape or form.

Now, if you're just talking of the practice of 'Siu' (as you explain originates from Emei) then I see what you're saying.

But I personally feel this could also be misread/interpreted wrongly as it sounds to me like you're saying the SLT form itself (as practised by millions) need not exist at all

From the angle of spinning mind speculation, you are certainly right.

Life is interesting isnt it?
    Last edited by Hendrik; 01-28-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wtxs View Post
    The famous Foghorn Leghorn sayings: Lookit here son, I said son ... I'm trying to learn you some thing here.

Dont mimic anything.

As the famous internal art ancient sifu said, your art is dead if you mimic me.

What you keep posting thinking I am open a subject and watch others to debate or fight is actually your own thinking not what it is.

If fact I am starting a evolution that everyone will be benifit from the exchange and chaos as how the nature suppose to be, contradict to what your thinking think.

So, a smart man must not trap himself by his own mind.

Hendrik, I have no problem understanding Sil Lim. My problem is trying to understand your words. You make it complicated with all the stuff you refer to. Sil Lim is not complicated at all. It is easy to understand what it is and what it can do for you. It is when one tries to make it complicated that it becomes so.
    I know about Chi, or Qi if you will. I know a great deal about my Wing Chun. I do have a problem understanding what others sometimes say, and especially when they speak in terms that are not direct and to the point. When talking with you, one has to work his way through the riddles first, and then attempt to determine exactly what it is you were saying. That is where my confusion is, not in understanding Sil Lim. I have been a practitioner for over 50 years now, and I think I would have learned something about my Wing Chun by now, wouldn't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by wtxs View Post
    I sometimes think I am in a cartoon. I must be stupid as dirt because I don't understand anything he just told me. I am not sure it even refers to what I was saying anyway.