Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Books by Phillip Starr

Congratulations winners!

The twenty winners of autographed copies of Phillip Starr's MAKING OF A BUTTERFLY have been posted. With your support, we'll continue to bring you unique online sweepstakes here at KungFuMagazine.com.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

dang it i missed out
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I've been a student of Sifu Starr's since 1985. The book is awesome. It's got something to offer on multiple levels, and I've re-read it three times so far. My son recently started training in Yiliquan, and I've assigned him "homework" in the form of reading Sifu Starr's book. For an 11 year old to like it, you know it has to have something interesting in it...

Congratulations to all the winners.
    Matt Stone

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    no doubt.

I want to read anything by someone who got neil to talk sensibly for once
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    no doubt.

I want to read anything by someone who got neil to talk sensibly for once
    Maybe if you weren't so busy calling what I say moronic you might have a different opinion.

Anyways, where's the Yili clips? This great style but no clips or vids anywhere. Seems suspicious ... what are they hiding?

Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt View Post
    Anyways, where's the Yili clips? This great style but no clips or vids anywhere. Seems suspicious ... what are they hiding?
    Not hiding anything... Our website is under construction currently (www.yiliquan.org), and will likely contain some video clips in the future. Right now we're busy building the basic information aspects of the site. We had another website, but there were issues with the server and the creator of the site, so that's no longer functional.

As stated so very many times before, Neil, you've got Yili folks in your backyard. All you'd have to do is make the very simple, easy drive from Seattle to Tacoma (for you non-Washingtonians, that's a trip of roughly 41 miles via I-5) to see what we do in person. But, you've given no end of excuses precluding you from making the drive, so your comments don't carry much weight (especially the "what are they hiding" remark).

You're welcome to come down, join in class, hell I'd even bet we'd make a point to entertain your "I want to train my own techniques without learning anything new" expectation, just to make a point. If we had something to hide, as you snidely attempted to allege, I doubt we'd be so forthcoming with information as we have been, and always are.

Enjoy your isolation chamber.

Just a little additional info/insight -

Neil has said he doesn't want to come down because a) we're too far away, b) we're too rude, c) he doesn't want to catch some communicable disease, d) he doesn't want to learn anything new (even though he admits to not having learned all that much from his first teacher). However, as stated in this thread, he's decided to join what he termed a "McDojo" to satisfy his desire to train (though he said earlier in this thread that he didn't have time to practice even the small amount he'd learned of "animal style kung fu" from his first teacher).

Neil has contradicted himself repeatedly, in this thread and others. My offer stands - he can come down to our club and I'll gladly allow him to use me as a practice dummy. I will happily provide documentation that I'm free of any communicable disease (specifically, the herpes gladiatorum he's so afraid of catching), signed by Army medical personnel. I'll answer any and all questions he has about Yiliquan, and I'll post any such answers on the internet for all and sundry to view. If he's got a video camera, he can video my responses as well.

Here's the neat thing, though... He won't show. I'm looking forward to seeing what excuse he gives this time...
    Last edited by YiLiQuan1; 04-05-2007 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Qualification of previous statements regarding Neil's excuses for not visiting our club in Tacoma/Lakewood, WA.
    Matt Stone

If I wrote that for my first teacher, it would be something more like,

"So we were all doing kicks. After 50 snap kicks in cat stance on the right side, we shifted to the left side, and did 50 kicks there."

"I thought I was going to puke, but out of the corner of my eye I saw my teacher's daughter, Lan, and I didn't want to look like a fool in front of her, so I worked harder to make sure my kicks looked better than Brad, her current boyfriend."

"All of that effort made my legs really hurt, and I thought I was going to fall down, but when we went into the character 'Sun' punches, I didn't want to lose face, so I made an extra effort to do them even faster."

"Later in sparring, in an effort to impress the women, I worked extra hard not to get hit, and in doing so nailed Greg hard in the eye, so hard it turned red and watered. Hopefully he'll forgive me. He didn't forgive me the last time I nailed him in the 1st grade with a pail, though, but he forgot after a few years." (Truth is Greg never forgot the pail).

The next day I had to get a ride to school from Pete, because I was so sore that I couldn't ride my bike. At least I have a day off until next class.

and thats really the crux of it all

every guy does what he does for women

end of

(or occasionally men)
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by YiLiQuan1 View Post
    I will happily provide documentation that I'm free of any communicable disease (specifically, the herpes gladiatorum he's so afraid of catching), signed by Army medical personnel. I'll answer any and all questions he has about Yiliquan, and I'll post any such answers on the internet for all and sundry to view. If he's got a video camera, he can video my responses as well.

Here's the neat thing, though... He won't show. I'm looking forward to seeing what excuse he gives this time...
    Okay, now you're being scary. Why are you being so open and accomodating and not trying to hide anything?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    [QUOTE=neilhytholt;751457]Maybe if you weren't so busy calling what I say moronic you might have a different opinion.

QUOTE]

about you? unlikely. I almost did for a second here though. If you actually take these fellows up on their offer, it might be a start.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Okay, now you're being scary. Why are you being so open and accomodating and not trying to hide anything?
    About the medical stuff? Because you seem afraid of your own shadow when it comes to catching very minor diseases, fungi, or parasites from actually making physical contact with another human being for the sake of developing combative skill. I've been training for 22 years, and the worst I ever got was a case of athlete's foot from a gym I showered in...

About Yiliquan in general?

Because you're not the first person, especially from up here in the PacNW, who's claimed all sorts of knowledge but repeatedly refused to attend seminars, Throwdowns, or any other cooperative training event. I can't remember how many times the Bagua folks from Seattle bellyached about not being able to get together and train (they apparently all train individually and alone, though many are students of the same teacher), but then failed to show over and over again...

Because you're not the first person who, from the safety of their keyboard, tried to insinuate all manner of things about us Yili folks, all the while making excuse after excuse to cover their inability to actually show up and check us out in person.

So, in the spirit of full disclosure (hard to have secrets when you spill the info from the initial outset), I welcome anyone to check out our training group to answer whatever questions they may have instead of making half-informed, smart-assed comments from the obscurity of the internet.

And this attitude isn't new... Maybe for this area, but as long as I've been training in Yiliquan, we've always welcomed folks into the school - for information, education, or "other reasons."

So when are you coming down?
    Last edited by YiLiQuan1; 04-05-2007 at 08:16 PM.
    Matt Stone

Quote Originally Posted by YiLiQuan1 View Post
    Because you're not the first person who, from the safety of their keyboard, tried to insinuate all manner of things about us Yili folks, all the while making excuse after excuse to cover their inability to actually show up and check us out in person.

So when are you coming down?
    I wouldn't want to disappoint you. Of course I'll never come visit you.

What insinuation did I make? The 'what are they hiding' was just a pathetic attempt at a joke to see if you were going to release any clips. I should have used a like I did in the last post.

Bottom line is I think you need to get over yourself. If people don't want to come down, then arguing with them isn't going to make them like you any more.

If you actually posted a clip of something interesting then maybe somebody would actually come and see you. Not me, but maybe somebody else.

Okay, so I stand corrected. Looks like somebody did post a clip. It says YiLiQuan. Is this you guys? Their website is in Russian, though. Anybody read Russian?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGIJiA0rrEs

Okay, so I stand corrected. Looks like somebody did post a clip. It says YiLiQuan. Is this you guys? Their website is in Russian, though. Anybody read Russian?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGIJiA0rrEs
    Nope, not us. A couple reasons why they are different -

#1) We don't have any students, teachers, clubs or schools in Russia (or outside the US, for that matter, though we may have a club starting in the UK soon).

#2) That clip is of Iliqchuan, not Yiliquan, though "yiliquan" is an alternate, though lesser used, romanization of the characters for Iliqchuan. Different Chinese characters entirely, though, even though there's a similar romanization and pronunciation.
    Matt Stone

Speaking of Pete Starr

I just heard from Pete. He has a new book out, through N.A. press again.

Martial Arts Masters Raise Money for Teen with Cancer

Bellevue, NE - In Bellevue, a group of martial arts instructors are raising money for 14-year-old Greg Hachey who's battling Leukemia. The teen lives in Seattle with his father, who is Pete Starr's oldest student.

"He's like family," said Starr. "This represents the true spirit of martial arts."

The event's helping pay for hospital bills. The 14-year-old's about to undergo surgery. Greg desperately needed bone marrow and recently found a match. But it was a complicated process. He's half Caucasian, half Filipino, and not many Asians are registered donors.

"There was concern for a long time a match would not be found in time. By some miracle they found one," Starr said. "We're gonna keep up the prayers and keep encouraging his family. Let him know we're all behind him."

Instructors will give lessons all day Saturday as part of the fundraiser. It's held at Mark Goblowsky's Martial Arts School at 2412 Cornhusker Road in Bellevue. Registration begins at 8 Saturday morning.

So far, they've already raised nearly 3 thousand dollars for the family.

Reported by Chriss Knight
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Actually have a copy of it right in front of me. Full of useful information that is good to see in print.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.