Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: Who is the Bad Boy of KFM?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Did i mention he was also a psych patient? Who else would do a minimum of 1,000 burpees a day, LOL!!
    i easily do 1,000 tosses of the iron balls when juggling every day so that if some big guy comes at me i can crack his trachea or claw his face off, which would negate any size factor or benefits he otherwise would have had.

I should have quantified my statement.

When you have trained people who have the equivalent amount of training, the bigger stronger person is ALWAYS going to win.

If the smaller person is better trained, has had many more years of exposure to REAL training, then yes, it can be used effectively against bigger stronger people who have no clue as to what is going on.

If you have someone how knows exactly what you know, and is 100 pounds heavier than you, there is no way you would be able to deal with that. Time to take out that sharp edged weapon and shave em a little.

though that is the simple way of looking at it.

There are many people out there who smoke, drink, and do not really train their material.

Most of them just talk about it.

It shows with many of them either being these skinny, little sticks with bad muscle tonus, bad posture or big lumbering uncoordinated oafs who together have totally missed the boat and are therefore unable to fully utilize what they have.

You need to train your material, and you need to strength train. and you need to explore the entire gamut of your material and research how to utilize it via practical apps and not the fantasies you hear talked about and touted as being realistic self defense.

I did not say lift weights, but you need to use resistance training of some kind and create stronger muscles, tendons, and ligaments as well as endurance.

Heavy weapons work will do this. Bodyweight exercises will do this. Kettlebells and weights. Training with the Muk Yee Pai is another method that is actually quite interesting.

There is no such thing as a bad method of strength training unless you are doing some whacked out silliness that harms you or others.

You are only limited by your imagination.

Anyone who thinks that a little training here or there or sitting on their backsides meditating will really get it done, is just not realistic.

I quiet sit daily, but not for more than 15-30 minutes. I stand daily, but for no more than 30 minutes. I practice walking and turning as I am a baguazhang student as well as teacher. I strength train 2-4 times per week with a variety of methods to keep it fresh and to get me strong.

Yin Fu did serious amounts of stance training in Luohan Shaolin, that is strength training. walking the circle and training with all the BIG HEAVY weapons of Baguazhang is another form of strength training.

Ma Gui owned a lumber mill and probably worked hard manually doing all manner of hard work to keep his business running well. One can assume that he also trained with Baguazhang weapons that were as big as himself and heavy.

Cheng Ting Hua trained with an iron weight vest as well as heavy bags that he hit and walked the circle carrying a bucket of water suspended from a rope.

You need to train totally and holistically, and if you don't, good luck to you.

Hoping all are well this weekend.

Happy Moms Day to everyones Mom!
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 05-08-2010 at 05:13 AM.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    You are only limited by your imagination.
    ditto... mind is the path.

most of my strength training comes from utilizing my job as a mason/laborer... there are unlimited opportunities with my job to allow for creative strength training... for me i view all positions as being a posture, in this manner one is less likely to be placed in an awkward position when situational circumstances arise. training is also spread out according to the seasons - in the winter, i can practice walking the circle or doing forms on the pond that freezes... i can go into the bog and walk around to hone my balance and movement in soggy terrain... i can go to the boulder field and practice forms and circles while walking on the rocks - summer time is preferrable to stand in flowing stream or a shallow river to strengthen root... holding postions or doing forms in the crashing waves of a beach... forms on slippery fallen logs... there truly is no limit to what one can achieve with just a bit of creative imagination applied to developing ones self defense capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    , and for every video of a smaller guy knocking down a larger one there are dozens showing the opposite

but the fact remains there are still plenty of videos showing a smaller man defeating a bigger man in grappling and standup fighting

no matter how big you are your jaw is just as susceptible to being knocked out as the next fella and you can still be choked

the notion that a bigger man will always win is as silly as the notion bigger muscles slow you down

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Let's not forget strategy and tactics.

If you are outclassed in skill and power/size, strategy and tactics can make a difference as well!

And LUCK!

I recall the fight between Couture and Lesnar.

When Couture ducked down, as he was coming up he met a lucky punch from Lesnar on his forehead/foreward crown that stunned him and that was the end of it!

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    but the fact remains there are still plenty of videos showing a smaller man defeating a bigger man in grappling and standup fighting

no matter how big you are your jaw is just as susceptible to being knocked out as the next fella and you can still be choked

the notion that a bigger man will always win is as silly as the notion bigger muscles slow you down
    if you were the right the following would not be true

1) as the skill level of the fighters in the ufc (and other organisations) became on a par they introduced weight catagories...they did this for fighter safety because they know all things being equal a bigger man will hurt a smaller man
    2) fighters in the west cut weight before fights, sometimes as much as 15-20kg, weigh in and put a lot of it back on. why do they do this? because they know that being the bigger stronger fighter gives them a hell of an advantage, thats why fighters from japan and korea (countries where weight cutting is not traditionally done) struggle when they come over to the US and UK to fight, they are not used to fighting bigger stronger guys.
    3) fighters when they lose often drop down a weight catagory, they don't do this because they think the next catagory is easier but because they feel the size advantage they might have over their opponents will help them (Randy, bisping etc have all done it)
    4) the bigger the fighter is the harder they generally hit, thats why the heavyweight division in MMA and boxing dominates the sport traditionally, people like watching knockouts (and why organisations like the UFC traditionally don;t want the very light weight catagories in their organisations, its not because they are not skilled, but beacuse the knockout rate is low)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    And LUCK!

I recall the fight between Couture and Lesnar.

When Couture ducked down, as he was coming up he met a lucky punch from Lesnar on his forehead/foreward crown that stunned him and that was the end of it!
    do you honestly think that if brock had not outweighed randy by about 40pounds he would have still been in there with him in the second round, or that that lucky punch would not have stunned him like that if it was not backed up by 270+pounds of muscle?

Randy is a better grappler, better striker and better MMA fighter than brock, but athletically and size wise he was not a match for him, thats why 2 fights later he was fighting at 205

1) as the skill level of the fighters in the ufc (and other organisations) became on a par they introduced weight catagories...they did this for fighter safety because they know all things being equal a bigger man will hurt a smaller man
    the ufc largely did this to get sanctioned

2) fighters in the west cut weight before fights, sometimes as much as 15-20kg, weigh in and put a lot of it back on. why do they do this? because they know that being the bigger stronger fighter gives them a hell of an advantage, thats why fighters from japan and korea (countries where weight cutting is not traditionally done) struggle when they come over to the US and UK to fight, they are not used to fighting bigger stronger guys.
    im aware of "carbing up" but again it wont replace skill

look at tito hes argueably the best at doing this

he comes into the weigh ins depleted and inflates afterwards to the point where he is likely walking in at well over 205 but hes still been in some cases easily defeated by smaller guys

machida for instance rag dolled him when ever they clinched and the size between the two was very apparent

3) fighters when they lose often drop down a weight catagory, they don't do this because they think the next catagory is easier but because they feel the size advantage they might have over their opponents will help them (Randy, bisping etc have all done it)
    this happens for a variety of reasons tbh

4) the bigger the fighter is the harder they generally hit, thats why the heavyweight division in MMA and boxing dominates the sport traditionally, people like watching knockouts (and why organisations like the UFC traditionally don;t want the very light weight catagories in their organisations, its not because they are not skilled, but beacuse the knockout rate is low)

on the flip side the heavy weight division has largely been criticised for not having a rich tallent pool of competitors not just from arm chair wariors either (recall randy's statements)

and smaller guys have made a habit out of beating larger folks

igor, sak, henderson and marcello garcia to name a few

im not saying being bigger isnt a great advantage ( though apparently some people conclude i am simply because i dont view size as being the end all to a match) im jsut noting that some people really overexaggerate it

do you honestly think that if brock had not outweighed randy by about 40pounds he would have still been in there with him in the second round, or that that lucky punch would not have stunned him like that if it was not backed up by 270+pounds of muscle?

Randy is a better grappler, better striker and better MMA fighter than brock, but athletically and size wise he was not a match for him, thats why 2 fights later he was fighting at 205
    i think the fact randy was (is) getting over the hill and didnt train that long for the fight(so ive heard i may be wrong about this) was the deciding factor more than anything

if he was in his prime for the fight and at equal weight it could have gone both ways in my opinion

and no him having extra weight wouldnt have helped against brocks giant ham sized gorilla fist

like dan hardy said you can put muscle around your jaw ( or head in randys case)

brock didnt get lucky he saw his head exposed and punched it and we know how the rest went

the ufc largely did this to get sanctioned
    and why couldn't they get sanctioned without weight catagories...because of concerns about fighters wellfair
    im aware of "carbing up" but again it wont replace skill
    look at tito hes argueably the best at doing this
    lol its not carbing up, its weight cutting there is a huge difference and no tito is not the best example of this anderson is he walks around at 220 and cuts 2 weight catagories, just as GSP cuts, sherk cuts etc the list goes on and on and they do it for a very good reason

on the flip side the heavy weight division has largely been criticised for not having a rich tallent pool of competitors not just from arm chair wariors either (recall randy's statements)
    yes and randy then went and fought at 205, i wonder why he left a talent pool that was smaller but where the fighters were bigger and beating him even though he was a more accomplished fighter to fight in one with better opponents that were more his size
    and smaller guys have made a habit out of beating larger folks

igor, sak, henderson and marcello garcia to name a few

lol one of the reasons sak is a shadow of himself was the japanese obsession with feeding him to larger stronger opponents, garcia has lost the absloute finals to roger, braulio, dean lister and arona all bigger fighters and ricco squashed him in one fight your point is?

and why couldn't they get sanctioned without weight catagories...because of concerns about fighters wellfair
    supposedly form what ive heard they COULDNT get sanctioned with the state athletic commisions unless they accepted weight categories

they had gotten a lot of backlash for their loose rules prior ro doing this

lol its not carbing up, its weight cutting there is a huge difference and no tito is not the best example of this anderson is he walks around at 220 and cuts 2 weight catagories, just as GSP cuts, sherk cuts etc the list goes on and on and they do it for a very good reason
    i may have missed this as im tired but you mentioined fighters dropping then putting it back on putting even more weight before a match

this is carbing up

if they arent doing it for that reason they are cuting because they are well over weight lol

yes and randy then went and fought at 205, i wonder why he left a talent pool that was smaller but where the fighters were bigger and beating him even though he was a more accomplished fighter to fight in one with better opponents that were more his size
    the reasons for him leaving could be argued back and forth for pages

lol one of the reasons sak is a shadow of himself was the japanese obsession with feeding him to larger stronger opponents,
    gee no mention of his age, the wear and tear hes taken from fighting AND pro wrestling at all?

yes it was the magic of heavyness that shot across the ring and made hima shell of what he is

garcia has lost the absloute finals to roger, braulio, dean lister and arona all bigger fighters and ricco squashed him in one fight your point is?

marcellso still has beaten larger guys and you completly ignored igor and henderson

supposedly form what ive heard they COULDNT get sanctioned with the state athletic commisions unless they accepted weight categories

they had gotten a lot of backlash for their loose rules prior ro doing this

i may have missed this as im tired but you mentioined fighters dropping then putting it back on putting even more weight before a match

this is carbing up

if they arent doing it for that reason they are cuting because they are well over weight lol

the reasons for him leaving could be argued back and forth for pages

gee no mention of his age, the wear and tear hes taken from fighting AND pro wrestling at all?

yes it was the magic of heavyness that shot across the ring and made hima shell of what he is

marcellso still has beaten larger guys and you completly ignored igor and henderson
    its not carbing up, weight cutting is done for a specific reason which is linked to everything i am talking about you need to understand what its for before you talk about it

its not carbing up, weight cutting is done for a specific reason which is linked to everything i am talking about you need to understand what its for before you talk about it
    you said

fighters in the west cut weight before fights, sometimes as much as 15-20kg, weigh in and PUT ALOT OF IT BACK ON. why do they do this? because they know that being the BIGGER stronger fighter gives them a hell of an advantage

if a fighter cuts before weigh ins then baloons up again after weigh ins he is intentionally carbing up to have a weight advantage come fight time

theres no confusion on my part bud cant say the same for you

you crudely decribed the process of carbing up (this aint my fault its what you did) if this isnt what you meant then feel free to explain yourself
    Last edited by goju; 05-09-2010 at 04:28 AM.

That is my point, Lesnar should have lost, he won because he got lucky and tagged Couture while he was rising from a bob which stunned him.

Lesnar only had any chance at all because of his size, and his size should not have mattered had it not been for dumb luck!

Something like that can happen to anyone at any time, it is fate or destiny or luck whatever you want to call it!