Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: another quiting smoking thread

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    good stuff!!
    meh. we are drinking precisely the amount we should be.
    i am a fan of the victory hop devil myself...
    hop devil is an increible brew. storm king is probably my favorite bar none.
    where's my beer?

I get a good laugh from americans who have finally discovered real beer after being forced to swill parrot piss for generations.

Kung Fu is good for you.

hey now, americans brew some awesome beer, and its not exactly a new trend. its just never been as popular as the carbonated camel ****. that's changing little by little though.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    hey now, americans brew some awesome beer, and its not exactly a new trend. its just never been as popular as the carbonated camel ****. that's changing little by little though.
    Here's my pet conspiracy theory regarding American breweries: the Prohibition Act put most breweries out of business. The American public were stuck with bootleg liquor, cheap gin and homemade wine. When the act was repealed a few wealthy investors were able to buy out the old businesses and start megabreweries with huge distribution systems to outdo any lesser competition. This gave them the power to sell an inferior product made with rice and other cheaper grains with the fizz added artificially by carbonation. By then, the new generation of beer drinkers thought that the alcopop sold by the likes of Anheuser-Busch was really beer.

Pretty much the same strategy used by major lending institutions.

By the way, GDA, I'm glad you're still with us.

Be well.

jd
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

thanks man, im glad to be around. i'm also glad that i went through it. there's a lot of things i don't take for granted any longer. a lot of things i've changed that i wouldnt have otherwise.

and your beer theory doesnt seem all that far fetched. prohibition very well may have been a factor in the creation of the megabreweries. there's probably a lot of other factors as well. american consumerism in general tends to favor cheaply made mass produced disposable products across the board. the big beer companies simply being a reflection of that is another possible factor.
    where's my beer?

[QUOTE=GunnedDownAtrocity;969669]thanks man, im glad to be around. i'm also glad that i went through it. there's a lot of things i don't take for granted any longer. a lot of things i've changed that i wouldnt have otherwise. QUOTE]

I think I know what you mean. After a year of being very ill my daughter was recently found to have brain cancer. She can't talk, can barely move, but she was happy to finally have a diagnosis. That's one tough little girl. It keeps you real.

Be well.

John
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

5 years no smoking.
    congrats bro, i just hit my 7th year myself. i smoked for 12
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

[QUOTE=jdhowland;969850]
    thanks man, im glad to be around. i'm also glad that i went through it. there's a lot of things i don't take for granted any longer. a lot of things i've changed that i wouldnt have otherwise. QUOTE]

I think I know what you mean. After a year of being very ill my daughter was recently found to have brain cancer. She can't talk, can barely move, but she was happy to finally have a diagnosis. That's one tough little girl. It keeps you real.

Be well.

John
    how old is she, and what's the prognosis?
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    congrats bro, i just hit my 7th year myself. i smoked for 12
    nice man. i was at the checkout with my buddy the other day, and i watched him pay a little over five bucks for a pack of cigerettes. i already had plenty of reasons to be thankful i no longer smoked, but that certainly added to it.
    where's my beer?

[QUOTE=GunnedDownAtrocity;970002]
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post

how old is she, and what's the prognosis?
    Thanks. She is 14. She had to wait until she got a peripheral tumor before the surgeons could do a biopsy. At least three more tumors, too close to the brain stem to operate at this time. Started radiation two days ago, then got too sick to continue. Overall, if she makes it through the radiation course, prognosis is good. We expect about a year of treatment before she gets to come home. I'll fly down to Seattle tonight to spend a week with her. I know that you and Sal and several others on this forum have stared the final doom straight in the face and were changed by the experience. We just never want our children to go there.

I'll keep you posted. Got to get her back on her feet again. She's one of my best training partners.

John

dude id rather go through 100 bone marrow transplants than see my daughter, or yours for that matter, go through anything remotely close to that. and what's interesting is that the kids usually take it better than the parents. i've never been in your position, but i've seen sick kids, and they seem to go through the motions much better than their parents watch them go through the motions. i get all bent out of shape when my daughter has the flu, so i can't begin to imagine. i'm known for my somewhat colorful and animated demeanor on these boards, but its in all seriousness when i say that my heart goes out to you man.

you'll guys will get through this, just make sure to laugh as much as possible. it sounds cliche, but its absolutely true. watch lots of comedies. play jokes on the nurses. tell stories about the cartoon characters you encounter in everyday life. make fun of everyone, including eachother. this might sound odd or even callous, but in my opinion, if she can laugh at her own situation that's huge. i honestly believe that my sense of humor, as sick and twisted as it may be, was a big part of getting me through my own situation. you cant feel sorry for yourself when your laughing at others, or when making others laugh at you.
    where's my beer?

[QUOTE=jdhowland;970084]

Thanks. She is 14. She had to wait until she got a peripheral tumor before the surgeons could do a biopsy. At least three more tumors, too close to the brain stem to operate at this time. Started radiation two days ago, then got too sick to continue. Overall, if she makes it through the radiation course, prognosis is good. We expect about a year of treatment before she gets to come home. I'll fly down to Seattle tonight to spend a week with her. I know that you and Sal and several others on this forum have stared the final doom straight in the face and were changed by the experience. We just never want our children to go there.

I'll keep you posted. Got to get her back on her feet again. She's one of my best training partners.

John
    Best of wishes to your daughter. Thats an incredible fight shes going through...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

[QUOTE=jdhowland;970084]

John
    Not sure if this will mean much to you, but I will keep her in my prayers and ask My Lord and Saviour to watch over you and your whole family and give you the strength you need in his very difficult time.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

you quoted me by accident, and im a stout agnostic, but it means something to me anyway. the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too.
    where's my beer?

you quoted me by accident, and im a stout agnostic, but it means something to me anyway. the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too.
    For some reason your name came up in that quote rather than John's, nevertheless I appreciate what you said.
    Heathen !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !