Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: On Behalf of Grandmaster Doo Wai

cjurakpt Guest
    some of you are saying that the only way to truly "know" a teacher's skill is by touching hands with him;

on one level, I agree - there is a level of information that can only come from hands on contact;

however, there is a caveat to this, which is that having had some experience in MA, after a while one is able to correlate visual performance to hands-on skill to some degree: when you've touched hands with a lot of people, and then you see how they do their forms, you begin to establish a correlation between visual information and tactile information; eventually, you can start to extrapolate from the visual with a pretty good degree of accuracy; to wit, if someone is doing a form that displays poor mechanics, poor timing, etc., you can reasonably extrapolate as to the level of their hands on skill: no one is going to lack these things visually and then turn around and be awesome "hands on" - it just doesn't work that way...(BTW, this doesn't work the other way around though: someone can have excellent form, like a top level wushu guy, but it doesn't mean his fighting skill is any good necessarilly);

but here's my real problem with all you guys defending Doo Wai via his clips: you guys want to have your cake and eat it too: what I mean is that, if someone saw the clips and said "wow, from the looks of those clips, he must be an awesome fighter!" you wouldn't jump in and say "oh no, you can't say that - you have to touch hands with him first before you can say that"; somehow, I suspect that this would not be the case...

furthermore, if I am not mistaken, the whole point of Doo Wai posting those clips in the first place is to impress people visually: I mean, he's not posting them because he thinks they are bad clips; he's posting them because he thinks that people will see them, be impressed by them and then study his system as a result; so he is in fact asking people to make a judgement based on only the visual information; and again, as long as the opinion is a positive one, no one is jumping up and disabusing the viewer of their perspective; of course, as soon as someone makes some reasonable critique of the clips, that is, they don't just say "he loks" bad, but actually provide specifics as to why they think the form is lacking, you all jump in with your default "you have to touch hands to know for sure" argument...

you guys need to be a little more internally consistent with your arguments...

I was going to say I love the Jik Bo Kuen clip. If you guys think that's great, you should go the NZ martial arts website and see the clip of him doing Nine step push.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Well I can only speak for myself, and as I earlier stated I too am not impressed with the clips. But I'm only looking to keep the discussion what it should be a critique. I was not speaking to Sifu Ross or to Doo Wai's people, but to all and in general and including myself. I think this is a very important thread and i'd hate for it to lose focus of the main issues, like Sifu Ross's comments were not addressed and I'd like to see them answered.

I also do believe that in Martial Arts there are no absolutes, so one can have terrible forms and still have great understanding of the principles, nature and character of their respective style. It was said that the Buck Sing Sijo didn't particularly care for fomrs but was an outstanding fighter.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by stainlesschi View Post
    as the guy posted above me said the Bak Fu Pai clips , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGhG4...elated&search= do look rushed and pretty **** pish compared to
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccUjuaGTllQ
    ,,,now that guy looks **** good you can see the power and it is as quick as the bak fu pai clip if not quicker and doesnt look rushed...big big difference...the bak fu pai guy looks nothing like the second dude in terms of power and quality...
    This thread is hilarious.... GM Doo Wai is doing a high level complex form and the other master is doing a low level basic form....geez.... If you can study the clips closely, you will see the similarities in both masters movements. There is no wasted movements in GM Doo Wai forms.....But I guess you guys aren't use to seeing high level southern gung fu.... Plus GM Doo Wai shoulders and neck are not tense.... Again you guys are funny.... Now if you guys want to talk about the issues raised by MAC I am all for it....I do believe in sharing with my fellow martial artists and practitioners. GM Doo Wai has taught us to respect all forms and styles of martial arts....

Smile

Hey cjurakpt, what the heck are you talking about, dude? I know GM Doo Wai personally and have studied under him for 14 years. His martial arts and dit da healing information was handed down from father to son in his family for over six generations. He is a great fighter and chi kung healer. Unfortunately, it appears from reading these comments here, some of you have not had a similar opportunity. I originally studied Karate at age 13 and achieved the rank of first degree black belt at age 18. I was strong and fast. Now I am relaxed and fast. At the age of 24, I thought I needed knee replacement surgery. I met GM Doo Wai and he sold me some dit da jow and other other internal herbal stuff and within four months my knees recovered from years of improper training. I was the biggest skeptic in the world regarding internal gung fu and jing etc. Now if you guys want to talk about gung fu skills and internal stuff lets talk but if you want take cheap shots we will respond....I would expect you guys would likewise respond if your shifus were being attacked whether they were alive or deceased....[/

Exclamation

We are Bak Fu Pai (white tiger kung fu). We are not Bak Mie (white eyebrow kung fu) and it is a BIG INSULT to us to call us Bak Mie. We respect all Bak Mie practitioners and we think Bak Mie is a good kung fu system.
    Last edited by Ironman; 11-09-2006 at 07:54 PM.

Qoute "No one outside of Doo Wai or his students has even heard of this style. I believe this guy is a flat out scammer and I believe all scammers should be exposed"

In the category of the higher low systems are found four different tiger subsystems: hong tiger, s'hu tiger, imperial tiger and white tiger. They are placed above the previous systems because ch'i and some concepts of spiritual motion have been incorporated into them. Hong tiger was a system which evolved from a mixture of tiger and white dragon. It was used by palace guards especially against weapons. S'hu tiger was the weapons training that went with the unarmed system of hong tiger. Imperial tiger is a modern adaptation of hong tiger. The techniques are sophisticated at this level. Also contained in the band of high low systems is monkey, placed there because of its liberal use of parries and advanced striking techniques, taking it out of the realm of brute strength. White tiger is a highly sophisticated, forbidden style similar to snow tiger.

Found here :http://www.shaolin.com/styles_shaolin.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    This thread is hilarious.... GM Doo Wai is doing a high level complex form and the other master is doing a low level basic form....geez.... If you can study the clips closely, you will see the similarities in both masters movements. There is no wasted movements in GM Doo Wai forms.....But I guess you guys aren't use to seeing high level southern gung fu.... Plus GM Doo Wai shoulders and neck are not tense.... Again you guys are funny.... Now if you guys want to talk about the issues raised by MAC I am all for it....I do believe in sharing with my fellow martial artists and practitioners. GM Doo Wai has taught us to respect all forms and styles of martial arts....
    Pssssst. I got this bridge I'm selling, real cheap.....only $30,000 for the complete, documented ownership. Only I can sell it though, its been in my family for 7 generations, simply forward your check and I'll get you the title.

Oh, and would you like some Jau with that?? Upsize it?

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Pssssst. I got this bridge I'm selling, real cheap.....only $30,000 for the complete, documented ownership. Only I can sell it though, its been in my family for 7 generations, simply forward your check and I'll get you the title.

Oh, and would you like some Jau with that?? Upsize it?
    thanks but no thanks.... Nah

Quote Originally Posted by DoPi View Post
    Qoute "No one outside of Doo Wai or his students has even heard of this style. I believe this guy is a flat out scammer and I believe all scammers should be exposed"

In the category of the higher low systems are found four different tiger subsystems: hong tiger, s'hu tiger, imperial tiger and white tiger. They are placed above the previous systems because ch'i and some concepts of spiritual motion have been incorporated into them. Hong tiger was a system which evolved from a mixture of tiger and white dragon. It was used by palace guards especially against weapons. S'hu tiger was the weapons training that went with the unarmed system of hong tiger. Imperial tiger is a modern adaptation of hong tiger. The techniques are sophisticated at this level. Also contained in the band of high low systems is monkey, placed there because of its liberal use of parries and advanced striking techniques, taking it out of the realm of brute strength. White tiger is a highly sophisticated, forbidden style similar to snow tiger.

the proof is in the results....this is the U.S. and we make choices for ourselves. Just because you have not heard of the system does not mean it is not real.... But then again you may holy and all knowing....
    Last edited by Ironman; 11-10-2006 at 10:54 AM.

Um, that information comes from an organization whose history is suspect. Not saying this as a discredit for BFP, but that place you are using as a support for any claim isn't too credible.

cjurakpt Guest
    Hey cjurakpt, what the heck are you talking about, dude?

I'm talking about lack of argumentative consistency: if everyone said they loved the clips, no one from the Doo Wai camp would be admonishing them that the only way they could know anything about him for certain was to touch hands with him - but when people offer cirticism of the clips, the default argument is to say the clips are not really an appropriate way to judge him;

I know GM Doo Wai personally and have studied under him for 14 years. His martial arts and dit da healing information was handed down from father to son in his family for over six generations. He is a great fighter and chi kung healer.
    that's fine - so you have direct experience; in regards to the lineage, ok, fine, no one is disputing that - that is a fairly reasonable / not atypical thing to have TCMA and TCM knowledge handed down from father to son (like most tradesmen throughout history, this is how it's done); however, why that should necesarilly make him a great fighter is something I don't understand: since you state that he is a great fighter and healer, could you give specific examples to back up that statement? who did he fight? what did he heal? or are you just saying that in your time with him, you have come to believe that he is a great fighter / healer based only on your personal experience training with him, not having actually having seen him fight or heal a complicated disease?

Unfortunately, it appears from reading these comments here, some of you have not had a similar opportunity. I originally studied Karate at age 13 and achieved the rank of first degree black belt at age 18. I was strong and fast. Now I am relaxed and fast. At the age of 24, I thought I needed knee replacement surgery. I met GM Doo Wai and he sold me some dit da jow and other other internal herbal stuff and within four months my knees recovered from years of improper training.
    why did you think that you needed "knee replacement sugery"? did an orthopedist tell you that? I find that hard to believe, since the only reason for a total knee replacement (TKR) is due to major arthritic changes in the knee joint that are typically the result of long term degeneration: a 24 year old getting a TKR is practically unheard of, unless you had major trauma or have some sort of congenital bone disease; and if you really did have degeneration to that degree, you would not have had any effect from external linements or internal herbal remedies, especially nt in 4 months; now, maybe you had some chronic inflammation in the knee joints for whatever reason: I would guess that the combination of the anti-inflammatory properties of the jow and the internal herbs along with you not doing whatever had caused the inflammation in the first place were sufficient to clear that up...

I was the biggest skeptic in the world regarding internal gung fu and jing etc.
    do you know the actual definition of the word skeptic? could you please give us your definition? based on your useage I think you may not (and don't go looking it up first, that's cheating...)

Now if you guys want to talk about gung fu skills and internal stuff lets talk but if you want take cheap shots we will respond....I would expect you guys would likewise respond if your shifus were being attacked whether they were alive or deceased....[/
    [/
    you can say whatever you want about my sifu (www.dantao.com, I really wouldn't care if you thought he was the best in the world or the biggest hack around; I think you miss the point about the comments and questions posted by others earlier on though...
    Last edited by cjurakpt; 11-10-2006 at 05:21 AM.

Wow. This says it all. Where did you guys come up with this info? High Low Systems? 4 Tigers? + Snow Tiger?

This is the kind of crap that ruins Kung-Fu. Why don't you tell us more about these tigers or the monkey style, since it was 'taken out of the realm of brute strength.'

Who exactly taught you this info, and/or how can you support it? I for one, have NEVER heard of any of this stuff, EVER. I've been in the CMA game for 25 years and this is the newest info I've ever heard. Please enlighten me/us.
    Last edited by Lama Pai Sifu; 11-10-2006 at 05:23 AM.

Umm, why is no-one dogging the clip where he is somewhat younger and has open space? Is anyone discussing that clip, or? Seriously, I can't tell.

No-one is saying much of anything about any of the clips other than the norm/ common responses. So I'll throw out a common response. Does anyone notice that in his younger clip he is flowing pretty good? He seems to be flowing more and worrying less about mechanics and structure. I think this is good to do with forms sometimes, because it makes the form more alive, and it shows the mechanical mistakes and flaws of a system. I don't know, but to me it looks a little more like he is moving like fighting and shadow-boxing, than worrying about slowing it down and checking the basics. Hmmm. What do you guys think? Should forms, over time be expressed in the same way as the practitioner fights? Or is it more important to always worry on the structure, the mechanics, the basics, and so on? Either way, I know many, many "Masters," who if they did their forms "full out with full speed," would make their forms look hideous.