Thread: my second powerlifting Comp

Hybrid View

dood don't u listen to the kung fu dudes on this forum???

WEIGHT LIFTING IS BAD FOR YOU!!!1!1!!!

IT will make U Slow and INFLEXIBLE.

U NEED TO LIFT WITH UR TENDONS!!!!!11!111!!eleven!11!1!!

Skinny small people EASILY beat up BIG WEIGHT LIFTING DUDES WITH STUPID USELESS "show" MUSCLES!11!1!!!!

Seriously though, I don't speak kg, so I appreciate you listing the weights in pounds

Your body weight was 222.67 pounds.

Hey what would have happened if you came in over your 105kg weight class limit? Would you be disqualified or just bumped up to the next weight class?

You mentioned sumo deadlift. I've been doing that for the last few months because I noticed I have developed a hip rotation when I deadlift (bad) but only when I do conventional and not sumo, so I'm doing sumo for a while to change things up.

At first it felt super weird and I didn't like it.

I still don't like it that much, but it feels less weird now at least. The groove is different. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on how you feel about it compared to conventional when you start doing it.

Again, nice work
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    dood don't u listen to the kung fu dudes on this forum???

WEIGHT LIFTING IS BAD FOR YOU!!!1!1!!!

IT will make U Slow and INFLEXIBLE.

U NEED TO LIFT WITH UR TENDONS!!!!!11!111!!eleven!11!1!!

Skinny small people EASILY beat up BIG WEIGHT LIFTING DUDES WITH STUPID USELESS "show" MUSCLES!11!1!!!!

Seriously though, I don't speak kg, so I appreciate you listing the weights in pounds

Your body weight was 222.67 pounds.

Hey what would have happened if you came in over your 105kg weight class limit? Would you be disqualified or just bumped up to the next weight class?

You mentioned sumo deadlift. I've been doing that for the last few months because I noticed I have developed a hip rotation when I deadlift (bad) but only when I do conventional and not sumo, so I'm doing sumo for a while to change things up.

At first it felt super weird and I didn't like it.

I still don't like it that much, but it feels less weird now at least. The groove is different. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on how you feel about it compared to conventional when you start doing it.

Again, nice work
    if i had been over i would have been in the 120kg group....which was won by a guy whose opening lifts were 260kg 575) squat, 170kg (375) bench and 280kg (616) deadlift....those were his OPENING lifts and all went up so easily it was annoying hence i wanted to make 105kg lol

Sumo is how nearly all our lifters deadlift, I've done it a few times but it feels unnatural but i have some great coaches

I love people who warm up with more than my max
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Sounds like your CNS was just shot from weeks of heavy lifting beforehand. I have a hard enough time making it home after squatting and deadlifting in the same workout, and I only do it once every 1.5 weeks. It kills me.

What does your recovery between sets look like during training as compared to the comp? What about your food? Seems like gorging yourself on oatmeal is a safe bet for a heavy day like that.

Also, i'd say the 10kg barrier is a mental thing for sure. I'm assuming you've already tried a deload? If not, have you tried deloading 10% and building back up?

Also, also, you're a beast-man. You give me inspiration. Seriously. No homo.
    Last edited by JamesC; 10-12-2011 at 02:36 PM.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Sounds like your CNS was just shot from weeks of heavy lifting beforehand. I have a hard enough time making it home after squatting and deadlifting in the same workout, and I only do it once every 1.5 weeks. It kills me.

What does your recovery between sets look like during training as compared to the comp? What about your food? Seems like gorging yourself on oatmeal is a safe bet for a heavy day like that.

Also, i'd say the 10kg barrier is a mental thing for sure. I'm assuming you've already tried a deload? If not, have you tried deloading 10% and building back up?

Also, also, you're a beast-man. You give me inspiration. Seriously. No homo.
    warm up were all too long, because of the size of the lifting groups and a mix up in when we were meant to start my squat warm up started 45 mins before my first lift, im usually done lifting in an hour and a half, took two hours before we even started the bench if i remember rightly, simply too long a day with not enough food

you are right my CNS was shot, i was planning on a few weeks of easy lifting before the comp, but because i couldnt get to the gym as much as i liked in the last month and because i got my peaking wrong i worked my opening lifts two weeks in a row just too much work at 90% and above

oh well ill learn for next time

You put in the work, and you had the balls and consistency to compete. That's more than most(myself included) can say. I'm just too **** lazy, tbh. Kids tend to make stuff like this impossible. At least until they get older...

Anyways, you got the experience, and that counts for a lot. You've obviously learned from it too, so it wasn't a total bust.

Btw, how is your MA training going? Do you feel they are interfering with each other?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    You put in the work, and you had the balls and consistency to compete. That's more than most(myself included) can say. I'm just too **** lazy, tbh. Kids tend to make stuff like this impossible. At least until they get older...

Anyways, you got the experience, and that counts for a lot. You've obviously learned from it too, so it wasn't a total bust.

Btw, how is your MA training going? Do you feel they are interfering with each other?
    im managing to do 1 x 2hr grappling class a week as well as 1 x 2hr stand up class, i was also managing to get back with my old TCMA instructor but after a few classes my work scedule changed which means i can only train with him now and then, which is no good to him or me lol which is annoying.,
    Grappling twice a week and powerlifting twice a week does take its out of me i think at my age to be really good at one i would have to drop the other.

As it is i get 2 complete rest days a week, to be a great powerlifter i need more than that, and to be at the level i was once in grappling i need to train that three times a week and rest the same amount, thats not going to happen as i love both so am happy being ok at both