Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for cheap way to spar, learn BJJ in NYC

Blog Entries

Looking for cheap way to spar, learn BJJ in NYC

Hey Guys, I'm looking for a cheap way to pick up some BJJ skills and a place to spar in NYC. Any ideas?

I'm currently in grad school so I don't have a lot of funds. Would anybody be interested in starting an informal sparring group?

Let me know here or email me at fu_pow@hotmail.com.

Thanks

Just fork out and train with Renzo or Garcia - even if its only once or twice per month

It will be money well spent
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah

bwaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaahhhhahhhaaaaaaahhh hhhhhhhh

Fu Pow, what a joke
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah

bwaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaahhhhahhhaaaaaaahhh hhhhhhhh

Fu Pow, what a joke

well honestly The BIG gracie schools cool but, no stand-up well it turns out they started doing MT
    http://www.renzogracie.com/image/dyn...april%2007.pdf

I didn't like the school when I visited, but thats my opinion.
    SBG
    http://www.roninathletics.com/schedule/
    The guy that runs the place is cool.

and NYC sanda is a nice place also.
    but your gonna have to swallow some pride

Pretty much don't expect to get any respect from any place if you say anything about Kung Fu.

another place thats cool is dwat or whatever its called. The guy that runs that place is a nice guy also.

Don't expect any sympathy from me about money and grad school. I live on a very small amount of money and I find enough money to train. It just means you got to eat less meat and more rice, potatoes, veggies ect... (MS Telcom)
    Last edited by monji112000; 09-03-2007 at 07:49 PM.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    Hey Guys, I'm looking for a cheap way to pick up some BJJ skills and a place to spar in NYC. Any ideas?
    oh that's EASY! what you want to do, is go to some of the really nice uptown neighborhoods in Manhattan, say above 125th St. (see, the higher the numbers go, the more expensive it is to live there - isn't that a neat way we've got it worked out here?)

so, what you do, walk down the street and announce the following in a very loud voice:

"Why, look at all this money I have!!! Where ever am I going to fit all of these 100 dollar bills? The nice man in the bank said that, since I am from out of town, I should keep them in my back pockets, but I have too many of them to fit! I sure hope no one tries to take them away from me, because then I will have to use my kung-fu to thrash them soundly!"

just repeat that over and over - I promise you that you will get plenty of nice local youths volunteering to help you out...

Or you can be the only white boy on the D train after the Dominican Pride parade. That almost got me some free fight lessons.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Or you can be the only white boy on the D train after the Dominican Pride parade. That almost got me some free fight lessons.
    yeah - just make sure that you say real loudly something to the effeect that, as far as you can tell, there's no real difference between Dominicans and Puerto Ricans anyway, they are both pretty much the same thing...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    http://www.roninathletics.com/schedule/
    The guy that runs the place is cool.
    Yeah I liked the look of that place. I emailed them about rates.

and NYC sanda is a nice place also.
    but your gonna have to swallow some pride
    You couldn't PAY ME to train with that a$$ hat.

Pretty much don't expect to get any respect from any place if you say anything about Kung Fu.
    That's cool, I'm looking to extend my knowledge so I'm willing to humble myself. I'm really interested in learning just the BJJ groundgrappling stuff to work into what I already know and then a chance to spar with it. I've probably learned enough stand up stuff for a lifetime (ie Hung Ga, CLF, Boxing, Taiji, etc.)...not to say that there isn't always room for improvement.

another place thats cool is dwat or whatever its called. The guy that runs that place is a nice guy also.
    Dwat? What is that?

Don't expect any sympathy from me about money and grad school. I live on a very small amount of money and I find enough money to train. It just means you got to eat less meat and more rice, potatoes, veggies ect... (MS Telcom)
    Well one of the places I looked at wanted $130/month. Maybe that's not bad for Manhattan but on my coast $85/month is getting pricey.

Blog Entries
    BTW, if there is someone that wants to trade some knowledge that would be cool to. If you have a pretty solid knowledge of BJJ and want to learn some CLF or Chen Taiji I'd be willing to "exchange." Not sure if BJJers are too into kung fu though.

FP

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    oh that's EASY! what you want to do, is go to some of the really nice uptown neighborhoods in Manhattan, say above 125th St. (see, the higher the numbers go, the more expensive it is to live there - isn't that a neat way we've got it worked out here?)

so, what you do, walk down the street and announce the following in a very loud voice:

"Why, look at all this money I have!!! Where ever am I going to fit all of these 100 dollar bills? The nice man in the bank said that, since I am from out of town, I should keep them in my back pockets, but I have too many of them to fit! I sure hope no one tries to take them away from me, because then I will have to use my kung-fu to thrash them soundly!"

just repeat that over and over - I promise you that you will get plenty of nice local youths volunteering to help you out...
    Haha...LOL

Well I've already been body checked on the subway by some crazy dude so I'm already on my way to some of that "real life" training.

FP

Yeah I liked the look of that place. I emailed them about rates.

That's cool, I'm looking to extend my knowledge so I'm willing to humble myself. I'm really interested in learning just the BJJ groundgrappling stuff to work into what I already know and then a chance to spar with it. I've probably learned enough stand up stuff for a lifetime (ie Hung Ga, CLF, Boxing, Taiji, etc.)...not to say that there isn't always room for improvement.

Dwat? What is that?

Well one of the places I looked at wanted $130/month. Maybe that's not bad for Manhattan but on my coast $85/month is getting pricey.
    http://www.muaythai-nyc.com/enter.html

honestly humble pie is the best choice. 85$ wtf this is NYC ... $100 is the cheapest you will ever find. JMO NYC sanda is the best in town hands down. anyway you get used to coach ross,
    he isn't half as bad as he may seem. For someone who talks allot, he can back it up in many areas of fighting. Thats not me reading it or me trying to get points or some crap its someone thats has honest first hand experience. (also one of the only mma gyms that didn't give me crap for being a Wing Chun person.. major points for that).
    Last edited by monji112000; 09-03-2007 at 08:54 PM.

cjurakpt Guest
    I've already been body checked on the subway by some crazy dude so I'm already on my way to some of that "real life" training.
    that was just Bloomberg looking to bum some spare change - but don't give him any, 'cause once he knows he can get some from you, he'll never leave you alone and the next thing you know, he's gonna ask you to help him "balance my budget", and that's not going to be good for anyone...

Translation = after all the smack I've talked for years, I'd really look like an a$$ getting smacked around every single day by every single student, and Coach Ross would be able to report to the forum daily what a fool I am

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post

NYC sanda is the best in town hands down
    just had to repost that LOL

You can try fight house I think the name is in Manhattan. There are a lot of ppl training there and you can train with them. The Shaio Jiao guys there work with some BJJ guys that train Shaio Jiao with them.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)