Thread: Iron palm

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    I wonder which real sifu you mean ?
    Any sifu who appreciates the wisdom of "downward" sandbag and sand bowl training, together with straight punching sandbag training.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Any sifu who appreciates the wisdom of "downward" sandbag and sand bowl training, together with straight punching sandbag training.
    Ah, those real sifu.

Ah, those real sifu.
    Yep, there are still a few of them left.

Yep, there are still a few of them left.
    Can you name a few ?

Can you name a few ?
    Yes, I can!

Yes, I can!
    So can I. Joy's si-fu, Augustine Fong, has taught iron palm in his WC. I learned a bit of that under one of his instructors back in '79. Then I spent a dozen years with LT who felt that iron palm was a waste of time in his WT system. Experts will disagree. I can see some logic in both points of view. Most of our hitting is frontal, centerline striking, and the wall bag is good training for that. On the other hand, there is some use of downward dropping energy, as in jut-sau, gum-sau, gaun-sau and so on. Perhaps iron palm training could be used to enhance that? Or maybe you could just spend more time on the dummy.

Personally I'd be more interested in hearing people report on what works for them and why, rather than hearing all the nitpicking and arguing between know-it-alls who are convinced that their si-fu's word is the one and only truth! I prefer to view technique and training from a benefit vs. cost perspective rather than as "right vs. wrong". Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Grumblegeezer; 10-20-2011 at 02:18 PM.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    So can I. Joy's si-fu, Augustine Fong, has taught iron palm in his WC. I learned a bit of that under one of his instructors back in '79. Then I spent a dozen years with LT who felt that iron palm was a waste of time in his WT system. Experts will disagree.
    Yes, experts can disagree and do. That is because they have other valid methodologies that give them the necessary impact and penetrative power, such as some Internal styles that can deliver huge damage with almost baby soft hands.

The problem is that many other "experts" will just badmouth and demean a methodology because they do not know ziltch about it, and I am afraid that this is the case on many MA internet forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    I can see some logic in both points of view. Most of our hitting is frontal, centerline striking, and the wall bag is good training for that. On the other hand, there is some use of downward dropping energy, as in jut-sau, gum-sau, gaun-sau and so on. Perhaps iron palm training could be used to enhance that? Or maybe you could just spend more time on the dummy.
    The downward IP training helps to, among other things, develop the "heavy hand", which then becomes useful in whichever direction one strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer
    Personally I'd be more interested in hearing people report on what works for them and why, rather than hearing all the nitpicking and arguing between know-it-alls who are convinced that their si-fu's word is the one and only truth! I prefer to view technique and training from a benefit vs. cost perspective rather than as "right vs. wrong". Just my 2 cents.
    Personally speaking both methodologies work for me, so I am not discounting,nor demeaning any of them.

Yes, I can!
    okay, lets hear it who are they ?

Question

okay, lets hear it who are they ?
    Kevin, are you really that obtuse, or just one of this forum's resident trolls? I gave you one example, Fong Chi Wing. Presumably, his sifu, Ho Kam Ming agreed as well. Joy could weigh in on this, as I don't really know. My old Sifu, LT did not agree. People differ on this, even within the Yip Man lineage. What makes you think that your opinion is the only correct one?
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/