Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Judo

Also, pay no attention to the politics. There seems to be a lot between the associations in Judo. USJA, USJF, etc.

The bottom line is that it is all the same.

I will say that I asked to train at a different associations club while out of town once and they were happy to oblige regardless.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I plan to be taking up judo pretty soon here,
    Assuming you are going to integrate your Judo skill into your striking skill in the future. I don't know Judo, but I do wish that I had learned my throwing skill without jacket dependency on day one. Here is one suggestion since you are flesh in this art. For every Judo throw that you will learn, try to map that throw into no-Gi throw ASAP (not in school but by yourself). This way, later on down the road, you don't have to spend another 5 years try to remove your Gi dependency. All the pushing contact points, you should have no problem in both Gi or no-Gi. It's the pulling contact points that without Gi, a hard pulling may be difficult (unless you have strong grip).

I just hate to see that you spend 3 years to develop a throw and later on find out it only works in the Gi environment. If a throw that doesn't have much dependency on the Gi, it may be worthwhile to spend your training time to develop that particular throw instead.

For example, when you do your "Osoto Guruma", instead of using your right hand to hold and push on your opponent's upper collar, you use your right hand to push your opponent's neck instead. This way you will have less Gi dependency but still achieve the same result.

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...sotoguruma.htm
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-07-2011 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Assuming you are going to integrate your Judo skill into your striking skill in the future. I don't know Judo, but I do wish that I had learned my throwing skill without jacket dependency on day one. Here is one suggestion since you are flesh in this art. For every Judo throw that you will learn, try to map that throw into no-Gi throw ASAP (not in school but by yourself). This way, later on down the road, you don't have to spend another 5 years try to remove your Gi dependency. All the pushing contact points, you should have no problem in both Gi or no-Gi. It's the pulling contact points that without Gi, a hard pulling may be difficult (unless you have strong grip).

I just hate to see that you spend 3 years to develop a throw and later on find out it only works in the Gi environment. If a throw that doesn't have much dependency on the Gi, it may be worthwhile to spend your training time to develop that throw instead.

For example, when you do your "Osoto Guruma", instead of using your right hand to hold and push on your opponent's upper collar, you use your right hand to push your opponent's neck instead. This way you will have less Gi dependency but still achieve the same result.

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...sotoguruma.htm
    overhook/underhook/neck control

Lucas, prepare to be whole body sore from all the throwing. Make sure you have a bottle of Bawang Ghey (BENGHEY) or a tub of jow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    overhook/underhook/neck control...
    May be also add bear hug, waist control, ankle hold, knee hold ...

When someone throw you, try not to let "the back of your head" to hit the ground.

To learn a throw is important but to learn "how to create a chance for your throw" is even more important.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-07-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks for the advice guys! That will definately help.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

is there much striking in judo at all?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I think there is some basic atemi waza, but, i've never seen any of it.

I would expect it to be very Shotokan Karate-ish since Jigoro Kano recieved some Karate instruction from Gichin Funakoshi.

Trust me, you'll have your hands full just learning how to step and move in Judo to even think about striking for a good long while, lol. It is WAY harder than it looks. I felt like it was something that would take me a LOT longer to get good at compared to striking.

Of course I came from a striking background...
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

well thats cool though. im interested in going in as a clean slate. less striking will be better under that context i think. i love being a new student, so much fun.

I envy you.

Sucker!!!!!

Judo's a gateway drug. After a year or two - you'll be able to pick up Sambo variations just by watching them on youtube.

I cross train both Judo and BJJ. Truth be told - I kind'a prefer Judo but BJJers with rank will almost always beat Judo guys two or three times their rank on the ground if the Judo guy's foolish enough to engage them... but BJJ got's no standup skillz. Their takedowns are terrible, and for me - the takedowns are the fun part.

i have considered which i wanted to take up, and for the standing to the ground element i wanted to go for judo since it seems superior to bjj. my time has been invested in stand up so thats where i want to stay and i feel judo will cater to that better.

does judo spend much time on going from ground to return to your feet, or does it mostly focus on finishing on the ground once there?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Judo's a gateway drug. After a year or two - you'll be able to pick up Sambo variations just by watching them on youtube.

I cross train both Judo and BJJ. Truth be told - I kind'a prefer Judo but BJJers with rank will almost always beat Judo guys two or three times their rank on the ground if the Judo guy's foolish enough to engage them... but BJJ got's no standup skillz. Their takedowns are terrible, and for me - the takedowns are the fun part.
    Judo is not just Kodokan Judo, that is based more on throws and pins then submissions.
    There is Kosen that is 90% submission work, but the truth is they don't compete that much in submission grappling.
    Judo has time limits on the ground so the pin is "easier" than the sub for many.
    All the BJJ has, judo has.
    BUT BJJ is far more specialized on the ground and far more advanced ( typically) in the submission part since they devote far more time to it.
    A 1 year BJJ player will demolish most 4 year judo guys on the ground.
    When I did BJJ I had a BB in Judo already and the blue belts were far ahead on the ground, but I made that gap up very quickly.
    I would throw pretty much everyone there, black belts included, but that was alright by them, LOL !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Yeah I made the mistake of going to the ground with 2 guys from a BJJ club during a Judo tournament.

Never do that again if I can help it.

As a side note, there is something very satisfying about landing an ippon on an opponent.

I'm leaving this thread before I quit my job and return to Judo.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Yeah I made the mistake of going to the ground with 2 guys from a BJJ club during a Judo tournament.

Never do that again if I can help it.

As a side note, there is something very satisfying about landing an ippon on an opponent.

I'm leaving this thread before I quit my job and return to Judo.
    I recall my first uchi-mata ippon, it was a beautiful thing !
    I also recall when I was rolling with a BJJ purple and he was so used to me going for a throw that I pulled off "jumping" arm bar !
    Surprise is an awesome thing.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !