Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Drawing the Wing Chun Blades

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Re #1. First you have to hold them right. Then you have to understand the role of the joints in connection with that hold. You have to understand your balance and your footwork and line control.
    Among other things- what is the big deal. Of course, you are going to tell me that Lee Shing learned the bjd from Ip man himself... because Ip man gave him a pair of knives etc/

#2 Draw your knives? In the wild wild west/east? The knives should be in your hands already. You are making a point of some sort about drawing the knives,,what is your point? Most scabbards sold these days are pretty bad. If you want to work on "drawing" (?) have them custom made.

joy chaudhuri
    Why work on the draw...?you should have your knives out already???Why do you think there IS the 'quick draw'...Iaido... That's a big area of death to the looser. Then and now. Even the argument for and against gun ownership and relevance often revolve around this issue..Me...I just walk around with my weapon drawn all the time...saves a lot of problems and hurt feelings!
    Last edited by Happy Tiger; 04-23-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    Quick question, my friend. Does HFY VT have luk dim bow kwun? Do U guys have any weapons not typical of th HK scene?
    Yes, we have the long pole and the short pole (Lung Fu Gwan). Dummy forms with weapons as well.

Don't know of any other weapons, but never thought to ask.

Re #1. First you have to hold them right. Then you have to understand the role of the joints in connection with that hold. You have to understand your balance and your footwork and line control.
    Okay now that's more what I was looking for, at least you have answered my questions Joy to the best of your knowledge. Thanks.

Among other things- what is the big deal. Of course, you are going to tell me that Lee Shing learned the bjd from Ip man himself... because Ip man gave him a pair of knives etc/
    But then you do this? Have I mentioned that? No.

My knife practise is my own, as is I suppose everybody elses here by the sound of it. BUT, I was taught these methods by my Sifu. And yes, My Sigung did receive a pair of knives from Ip Man, as did a few others.

That's not my point. My Sigungs knife practise, and pole for that matter, was pretty okay before he met Ip Man. Learning from Ng Jung So and the Fungs would have that effect, but he still wanted to follow Ip Man as he knew how special he was. Have you heard the story of him pole dueling with Lok Yiu? Being introduced to Ip Man by Jiu Wan? All this is true as far as I know. I also know other facts about his knife methods that are not so public and I want to help by sharing a little more. That's all.

It seems that some guys have a problem with this. But that's their issue.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Exactly. Another storm in a teacup. Someone from Britain has a chip on his shoulder.
    See what I mean? If he aint calling me a dweeb, he claims I have a chip on my shoulder. Well, if I have a chip, he has an entire chip shop resting on his hunky shoulders lol!! He actually made me laugh out loud this morning on the train with this little gem.

#2 Draw your knives? In the wild wild west/east? The knives should be in your hands already. You are making a point of some sort about drawing the knives,,what is your point? Most scabbards sold these days are pretty bad. If you want to work on "drawing" (?) have them custom made.
    My point is this Joy.

Anybody who is serious about weaponry training, regardles of what system them learn, will learn about blade maintenance basics and at least know how to care for their blades. And what you are telling me is we shouldn't have a scabbard because your 'knives should be out all the time'??

All I am suggesting here is, if you have learnt without a scabbard that's fine, but I didn't. I learnt a whole array of things to do with the blades before they are even drawn. And no, I'm not saying my Sigung learnt secret sh1t from Ip Man, but I am saying he knew his weaponry better than most imho because I have seen the evidence first hand with some of his eldest students.

And I for some reason can not start a thread on a subject that interests me without being teased and riduculed by people that should know better??

Why not everybody just share what you know or do not know about the subject of defending and drawing your blades?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    Fer Gawd sakes, somebody draw! The heat's killin us an Ah only gots a half hour fer lunch
    Ah! I have my clip ready

And I'm still willing to share!! I have to say thanks too, to Phil for at least putting up some examples of his blade work, even if it is totally different to my own.
    http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...7&postcount=24
    He shares, and that's why I am here too.

Believe it or not
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Ah! I have my clip ready
    We're all huddled around the PC in anticipation!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    We're all huddled around the PC in anticipation!
    I have no idea why?

The clip I have only lasts a second or two!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

This may be slightly off topic here but...

Just a response to something in your first video, which I've seen you say on other clips as well concerning the placement of taansau and the WSL method.

First of all, taan is a verb, not a noun. So it is describing an action and not just a structure or static position. The concept is to get on top of your opponent whilst moving in so it moves in a forward arch. WSL described the action as two conflicting villages at the top of neighboring mountains with a valley between. One village shot a cannon straight toward the other and the ball dropped into the valley. The other village aimed their cannon slightly upward and fired in an arch from low to high and the ball came down on the other village and destroyed it.

That is the taansau action. It is not just the position of your hand being up in front of your face or at a lower level. The action will pass through both. It's a verb not a noun. You see WSL's taansau stop up high on the mukyanjong because the arms of the dummy are in a fixed position and cannot move.

Finally, the side gamsau action from Siunimtau is not a block but defense against wrist grabs and arm drags and locks from the side. The video of WSL showing the block is for the one to the front. It's just like the movement at the end of Chamkiu. He shows the application for all three gamsau actions in the same video.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    First of all, taan is a verb, not a noun. So it is describing an action and not just a structure or static position. The concept is to get on top of your opponent whilst moving in so it moves in a forward arch. WSL described the action as two conflicting villages at the top of neighboring mountains with a valley between. One village shot a cannon straight toward the other and the ball dropped into the valley. The other village aimed their cannon slightly upward and fired in an arch from low to high and the ball came down on the other village and destroyed it.
    First of all, LOL at this thread and people arguing over drawing wing chun blades. That's about as useful in self-defense as perfecting the quick draw on a sharp lollipop stick, which I would not entrust to people showing the kind of logic present on this thread.

I think if we're telling village stories here a more appropriate one with respect to drawing wing chun blades would be - One village aligns all their warriors out in the entrance gate in a perfect phalanx formation with spears. The other village loads their warriors into an AH-64D Apache Longbow helicopter, then mows down the first village with 30mm M230 chain gun fire.

If you want to study the WCK blades to complete your training, preserve the culture, translate the economy of movement to your open hand fighting, great. But pulease do not carry your blades out in public under your ninja cape lest someone run you over with their car while you are quick-drawing.

And LFJ, just to contribute to your English grammar lesson here, d1ckh3@d is a noun. Now go look in the mirror and say it to yourself 10x fast.

Way to misread an entire post, Wayfaring. :D

I titled the post being off topic here because I was not at all talking about drawing WC blades. And the feuding villages story was not mine, but one told by WSL to describe the action of taansau. Finally, taan is not an English word, so its part of speech actually has to do with Chinese grammar.

Just a response to something in your first video, which I've seen you say on other clips as well concerning the placement of taansau and the WSL method.

That is the taansau action. It is not just the position of your hand being up in front of your face or at a lower level. The action will pass through both. It's a verb not a noun. You see WSL's taansau stop up high on the mukyanjong because the arms of the dummy are in a fixed position and cannot move.

Finally, the side gamsau action from Siunimtau is not a block but defense against wrist grabs and arm drags and locks from the side. The video of WSL showing the block is for the one to the front. It's just like the movement at the end of Chamkiu. He shows the application for all three gamsau actions in the same video.
    Tan means disperse or spread. Where you disperse the energy can vary. It can be in the middle gate or like I did in the upper gate.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I titled the post being off topic here because I was not at all talking about drawing WC blades. And the feuding villages story was not mine, but one told by WSL to describe the action of taansau. Finally, taan is not an English word, so its part of speech actually has to do with Chinese grammar.
    Though it's not an English word it can be translated into English like I did in my last post.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Tan means disperse or spread. Where you disperse the energy can vary. It can be in the middle gate or like I did in the upper gate.
    Yet you say in your videos that it should be done up high and not lower? It may be the way you do it in your TWC but you were talking about WSL as some sort of authority to explain your method, but he didn't do it like you. You've inaccurately used him to explain TWC concepts several times, but I could take any part of TWC Siunimtau and explain why WSL didn't do it like that, like wusau in front of the face.

Also your arm is at about a 90° angle with the fingers almost straight up. WSL never did taansau like that. It's always driving forward into the opponent with the fingers directing the movement from start to finish. It would appear that if you go straight up against a much stronger force from a swinging hook punch that sort of taansau would collapse.

Of course this is just a different perspective. Your way may well work for you, but I'm just commenting on how WSL's method is not quite as you describe or demonstrate. It may be that I don't understand the TWC method, but equally I would say you have not understood WSL's and can't use him to validate your way.

Though it's not an English word it can be translated into English like I did in my last post.
    Doesn't matter. I didn't. Wayfaring was just trying to be a d!ck about me giving an English grammar lesson, when I was only clarifying the part of speech of a Chinese word to define the action it describes. He just seems annoyed by this entire thread concept, since he didn't accurately address anything I said.

Yet you say in your videos that it should be done up high and not lower? It may be the way you do it in your TWC but you were talking about WSL as some sort of authority to explain your method, but he didn't do it like you. You've inaccurately used him to explain TWC concepts several times, but I could take any part of TWC Siunimtau and explain why WSL didn't do it like that, like wusau in front of the face.

Also your arm is at about a 90° angle with the fingers almost straight up. WSL never did taansau like that. It's always driving forward into the opponent with the fingers directing the movement from start to finish. It would appear that if you go straight up against a much stronger force from a swinging hook punch that sort of taansau would collapse.

Of course this is just a different perspective. Your way may well work for you, but I'm just commenting on how WSL's method is not quite as you describe or demonstrate. It may be that I don't understand the TWC method, but equally I would say you have not understood WSL's and can't use him to validate your way.

Doesn't matter. I didn't. Wayfaring was just trying to be a d!ck about me giving an English grammar lesson, when I was only clarifying the part of speech of a Chinese word to define the action it describes. He just seems annoyed by this entire thread concept, since he didn't accurately address anything I said.
    One word for wayfaring - Chode

Typical...

I start a thread to talk about the 'option' of Drawing the Wing Chun Blades and look where we are at??

Arguing about Tansau!

Thanks LFJ for the detour as it has helped me make a decision on sharing my clip... I just can't be bothered lol!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I start a thread to talk about the 'option' of Drawing the Wing Chun Blades and look where we are at??

Arguing about Tansau!

Thanks LFJ for the detour as it has helped me make a decision on sharing my clip... I just can't be bothered lol!
    burn
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.