Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing chun vids share please take 2

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Hi Jim, who did you learn from in the Ip Chun lineage? as you say about WSL lineage not everyone is the same / has the same approach even within a lineage so it would be interesting to hear.

many and various (in the yip chun lineage) what im saying in the overall picture is that in my experience taking into account that different people have different and varying skill sets the wsl system is the most practical for me.Put it another way name a Yip chun top student that would stand up to chi sau with PB for example and i may see a pig that flys, and yes i know chi sau is an exercise but you know when you can better someone at it!

cheers Jim
    Last edited by jimhalliwell; 12-14-2012 at 08:00 AM.

See, what it all boils down to is good form, and that’s with any wing chun family, for example. I’m a hardcore outdoors man fishing, deer, rabbit, and whatever I can track and hunt.

I went deer hunting during bow season for my first time years ago and a buck ran right pass me, so close that I could actually feel the wind from his stride, if he would have hit me it was a very good chance it could have killed me. I guess I was standing in a deer trail or something. If I would have hit him, I knew I wouldn’t of kill him because I didn’t have that kind of shot, Just wanted to spill blood, so I could track him down and finish the kill.

As it was running away from me, I tried to take a shot and had him in my sight, but; when I released the 80lb compound bow it slapped against my forearm so hard that I had to go back to the camp for the rest of the trip, because I couldn’t open my hand for almost a week.

What I’m saying is, if my form wasn’t so bad while being in such a hurry, none of that would’ve happen. The more one can hold structure from a stance point of view and keep form while under pressure, the sweeter the outcome would be. The key is; try not to deviate. But now I shoot a 150lb crossbow.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 12-14-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    I never did understand this double hop runaway while being pressed drill. To me, this trains some very bad habits and will could lead to they guy hopping around getting overrun and surely losing any fwd intent/energy he might have had toward his opponent.

I can understand that if your space/structure is being collapsed, you may have to take a SINGLE step to regain your structure - but allowing someone to shove you around while double hopping backwards doesn't make much sense.
    If someone is pressing you and you haven't your lost your structure (as seen in the clip), most decent WC players should be able absorb or redirect the energy without too much issue (at least that's what we train for) - seems to be a lot more efficient to me than allowing yourself to get pushed around..

The hop is not intentional, should be like an "air hockey" puck floating around for better balance. The "DRILL" is to work the 5 patterns of footwork. Done in chi sao it creates intuitive foot movement relative to stimulus from any attack, conditioning drills. There are errors made in foot movement alone that can be taken advantage of easily in fighting.
    I have used this in fighting a lot. An attack charge is delivered, but how good is it ? A lot of times a guy would grab my leading arm and start pushing me, as the drill. Due to the inherent balance control in the drill, I never lost balance but easily countered over zealous entry by angling to their positions and energy pulses. Many fights I had simply required a juen ma and punch or simple seung ma ~ toi ma distance management. But if a guy did bull rush me, it worked really well.

Glenn (hugger whatever your name is)

Its Glenn Richards, to be exact Jim.

Im not putting myself up as a wing chun police man, I'm just really frustrated by the downward spiral in the practical standard of wing chun / ving tsun generally. Wing Chun is a fighting system ie of a practical nature and due to the drop in standard of its quality has become a joke to the likes of the mma brigade.
    Id agree with you there Jim , but id also mention the spiral upwards in the standard of mma in the last 30 years as well.
    Why's one going up and one going back?

After 30 years of training I think i am able at least as much as you to make an educated guess after looking at a demo video on youtube as to the practical quality of the wing chun im seeing. Now I have studied 5 lineages 3 to completion Yip chuns Leung tings and wong shun leungs for me the wsl system works best (for me) yet still in this system i only really rate a few people the others to me are no good either too much theory not enough practicality!
    Sure, id agree with your ability to judge it via youtube as well, i just dpnt get dragging a clip onto the forum just to slag it of.

Now i have touched hands with PB and yes hes excellent example of Ving tsun and really is light years ahead of most on youtube and everywhere else come to that, but for me without doubt the best example of wsl ving tsun is from barry lee (imo) and imo the wsl system is way ahead on the practicality scale of any other Wing Chun linage around.
    Well its Barry's guys here in australia ive been exposed to. I was good mates with Bill Dowding in particular (he is in china) and did a lot of training with them so i have a pretty good take on what they do. Incidentally, i think he's back now??
    Are they good? Sure.
    Are they miles ahead of anyone else? No, i dont think so.

But maybe the general standard of WC in Australia is higher, who knows.

We are a practical bunch down here after all

Regards
    GlennR

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    The last clip just made me laugh out loud, thank you.

Defending the actions of this clip kevin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSYOqFiNc2g ...the guy writes ...

"Bad? lol, u are comparing this with the Wing Chun that you commonly see? What if I told you this Tan Sau & Punch could destroy a few lineages of Wing Chun in the market? What I mean is, by using this Tan Da, during Chi Sao, we could jam a few lineages of WC, MT, Boxing, Streetfight, etc. Would that still consider as 'bad'? I will be replying another comment on another video, you might wanna look that up."

I thought drugs were illegal in Singapore...seems like someone has been hitting the crack pipe abit hard..seriously entertaining stuff

Quote Originally Posted by jimhalliwell View Post
    many and various (in the yip chun lineage) what im saying in the overall picture is that in my experience taking into account that different people have different and varying skill sets the wsl system is the most practical for me.Put it another way name a Yip chun top student that would stand up to chi sau with PB for example and i may see a pig that flys, and yes i know chi sau is an exercise but you know when you can better someone at it!

cheers Jim
    There are at least four or five of Ip Chun's students that I have personally met either in the UK or HK that in my opinion would more than "stand up" to chi sau with PB (this is obviously my opinion and I will decline to name them to avoid any silly politics). In terms of the "many and various" sifus that you've trained with in the Ip Chun lineage there aren't that many in the UK so i'd be genuinely interested to hear who (if you'd rather not say publicly I'd love to hear via PM).
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    There are at least four or five of Ip Chun's students that I have personally met either in the UK or HK that in my opinion would more than "stand up" to chi sau with PB (this is obviously my opinion and I will decline to name them to avoid any silly politics). In terms of the "many and various" sifus that you've trained with in the Ip Chun lineage there aren't that many in the UK so i'd be genuinely interested to hear who (if you'd rather not say publicly I'd love to hear via PM).

Hi

We could go on like this all day your opinion my opinion etc. I'll say again imo there is not a Yip Chun student alive that would stand up to bayer in chi sau and your kidding yourself if you think Sam Kwok would!

Hi

We could go on like this all day your opinion my opinion etc. I'll say again imo there is not a Yip Chun student alive that would stand up to bayer in chi sau and your kidding yourself if you think Sam Kwok would!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good grief!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbeUCMU_Bv8

Footwork interesting. at 26 seconds response to a hook punch jump to outside gate now im totally confused.Response from his opponent would be in reality knock out Sam with left hook! To actually perform this crazy technique you have to know what hand the opponent is throwing! so its of no use at all! maybe its just me that thinks like this! and really its a demo of what not to do ever! I picked a vid from Sam as I think he maybe the senior Yip chun/Yip Ching guy in the Uk so he must be doing the system correctly then.

JIm
    Last edited by jimhalliwell; 12-15-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Hi

I chi saoed with Sam years back , we exchanged ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    I chi saoed with Sam years back , we exchanged ideas.

I bet you did!

Smile

Hi

I'll say again imo there is not a Yip Chun student alive that would stand up to bayer in chi sau and your kidding yourself if you think Sam Kwok would!
    Sounds like a very proud student to me.

Glenn (hugger whatever your name is)
    and imo the wsl system is way ahead on the practicality scale of any other Wing Chun linage around.

cheers Jim
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone has opinions and you have yours!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbeUCMU_Bv8
    I picked a vid from Sam as I think he maybe the senior Yip chun/Yip Ching guy in the Uk so he must be doing the system correctly then.

JIm
    lol you might want to do some more research Jim
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Hi

I never mentioned Sam and without any inference good or bad, as to his Wing Chun ability, he was not one of the people I had in mind.
    I have no interest in whose opinion is right or wrong and it would be pointless debate, I was merely interested in who you had trained with from the Ip Chun lineage.