Thread: Bruce Lee vs. Gary Elms

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    He was more serious about competition dancing actually and was a top notch cha-cha dancer in the USA and Hong Kong. He did take up Wing Chun under Ip Mans senior student and did get some lessons with Ip man himself but never did complete or become senior in that style. He got really serious about martial arts when he deduced the vacuum of martial arts films and got into it in the US.
    He did win a Cha-Cha dance competition in Hong Kong but also the Boxing tournament. It's not clear whether he liked dancing or Martial Arts more. I think he liked both and used some of his dancing skills to enhance fight choreography when he got in to movies. But remember that when Bruce Lee arrived in America he didn't come here to be a movie star. He studied philosophy in college and made money teaching his own brand of Kung Fu. He got discovered as an actor after doing demonstrations at Martial Arts seminars. By the time he auditioned for the Green Hornet Bruce Lee was a very serious Martial Artist. That was the focus of his life up to that point then came the movies in China and breaking in to Hollywood before his untimely death.

the boxing tournament is absolutely debatable. He was decidedly not a trained boxer.
    I don't know what there is to debate. He trained for the tournament and won. He wasn't a professional Boxer but he did compete in competition.

Why not just be happy with what he left us instead of trying to elevate and elevate to the point of absurdity? He did some great stuff. Enjoy that! It was more than enough from one guy.
    I'm not trying to elevate him to anything. I'm trying to discover more about the real Bruce Lee and this Gary Elms situation is part of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticNinjaJay View Post
    I'm trying to discover more about the real Bruce Lee and this Gary Elms situation is part of the story.
    Hate to go here, but: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=67615&page=3
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I remember sometime in the early '80s seeing a photo in a magazine that (purportedly) showed BL fighting in a HK boxing tournament in the late '50s. I don't know who the opponent was, or even if the opponent was Chinese or white. As I recall, in the photo, "BL" was slightly hunched, back against the ropes, and looked to be "wailing away" at his surging opponent. "BL's" face was down and slightly turned towards the camera, one eye squeezed shut, face grimacing. At the time, I couldn't honestly say whether it was BL in the photo or not, though it could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I've read that thread before. I'm trying to do some what of the same thing here with the search for Gary Elms.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I remember sometime in the early '80s seeing a photo in a magazine that (purportedly) showed BL fighting in a HK boxing tournament in the late '50s. I don't know who the opponent was, or even if the opponent was Chinese or white. As I recall, in the photo, "BL" was slightly hunched, back against the ropes, and looked to be "wailing away" at his surging opponent. "BL's" face was down and slightly turned towards the camera, one eye squeezed shut, face grimacing. At the time, I couldn't honestly say whether it was BL in the photo or not, though it could have been.
    This may be the photo you are talking about:

That doesn't look like Bruce Lee to me but it's supposed to be from that tournament.
    Last edited by MysticNinjaJay; 02-25-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticNinjaJay View Post
    I've read that thread before. I'm trying to do some what of the same thing here with the search for Gary Elms.

This may be the photo you are talking about:

That doesn't look like Bruce Lee to me but it's supposed to be from that tournament.
    Yeah, that looks like the photo. A tiny bit different from how I remembered, but that's it. And no, it doesn't look like BL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Yeah, that looks like the photo. A tiny bit different from how I remembered, but that's it. And no, it doesn't look like BL.
    Maybe it's that Bruce Li guy.
    Or Bruce Lei?
    Kung Fu is good for you.