I think competition of this sort should be for 18 and older ONLY
    I strongly agree.

Slightly OT

This sounds terribly tragic.

DeKalb County News 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 15, 2012
    Man slain at drive-in; another killed as officer responds
    By Alexis Stevens
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Two men, just one year apart in age, probably didn't know each other. But both likely died within minutes of one another following a quick string of events in DeKalb County.

Mitt Lenix, a martial arts expert and entertainer, jumps through a ring of fire at the Georgia Renaissance Festival. He was shot and killed at the historic Starlight Six Drive-In after apparently having car trouble and asking for help.
    Special, Chip Talbert Photography Mitt Lenix, a martial arts expert and entertainer, jumps through a ring of fire at the Georgia Renaissance Festival. He was shot and killed at the historic Starlight Six Drive-In after apparently having car trouble and asking for help.

After a martial arts expert and entertainer was shot and killed at the historic Starlight Six Drive-In, a man headed to babysit for a family member was hit and killed by a DeKalb County police officer headed to the homicide scene early Tuesday, police said.

Tuesday afternoon, officers were still searching for the man accused of killing a man that police believe was only asking for help. But it wasn't clear what prompted the alleged gunman to shoot at the area's last remaining drive-in.

Mitt Lenix, 28, was at the Starlight, a metro Atlanta landmark on Moreland Avenue, when he apparently was having car trouble and approached 32-year-old Quentric S. Williams for help, Mekka Parish, spokeswoman for DeKalb County police, told the AJC.

Williams shot Lenix and then drove off, Parish said.

An off-duty DeKalb officer working at the drive-in heard the shots and rendered aid to Lenix, who later died after being transported to a hospital, Parish said.

A concerned citizen called 911 after the shooting and followed the suspect's vehicle until officers caught up Williams, chasing him nearly to the DeKalb-Gwinnett line on Lilburn-Stone Mountain Road.

The chase ended when Williams wrecked the car, but he jumped out of the vehicle, ran and eluded officers, Parish said. Gwinnett officers assisted in the search for the suspect. A female passenger with Williams was detained, but later released from police custody, Parish said Tuesday afternoon.

Police did not say how they identified Williams as the alleged shooter.

Meanwhile, DeKalb Officer Jason Copper was headed to assist fellow officers with the chase when he struck a pedestrian trying to cross Memorial Drive, police said.

Clinton Hightower, 27, who police said was not in the crosswalk when he was hit, died at the scene. Hightower's parents told Channel 2 Action News they've heard from witnesses who say the police car's blue lights were not activated and he was speeding at the time he struck their son.

"The investigation into this accident is ongoing," Parish said in a statement to the AJC. "Detectives are looking into when the officer’s lights were activated and if the siren was on as well as it will determine how fast he was traveling."

Hightower was headed to his sister's home to babysit when he was struck, according to his parents, Michael and Anna Maria Davis.

"We definitely need to know something, why it happened, why his lights weren't on, why 80 miles an hour," Michael Davis said. "And why you took my son's life. That's what he took."

Friends of Lenix called the martial arts expert an extraordinary performer who was using his talents to entertain others at the Georgia Renaissance Festival.

"He's just one of the most incredibly talented performers we've ever had at the festival, and he's going to be so missed," Sarah Petermann, spokeswoman for the festival, told the AJC by phone Tuesday afternoon. "For us, it was like losing one of our own."

At the festival, Lenix performed as part of duo that did stunts, such as one that required Lenix to jump nine feet in the air and kick a balloon to pop it, Petermann said.

"He was someone who had the technique to protect himself, but he didn’t use it that way," Petermann said. "He used it for entertaining."

Lenix was also a member of the Georgia National Guard, his family told Channel 2.

While friends and family members grieved the loss of the two victims Tuesday, others were shocked to learn that the Atlanta drive-in, which first opened in 1949, was the scene of a deadly crime.

Native Atlantan Suellen Germani, 46, told the AJC she's part of a group of movie-lovers called the "Drive Invaders" that heads to the Starlight every Wednesday night from April to September. Group members vote on which movies to watch, then arrive early with lawn chairs and boom boxes to get front-row seats, Germani said.

“It's sad, but I really view this as a random act of senseless violence," Germani said. "I’ve been coming out there for 15 years now and have never felt threatened or unsafe. When we come out there, it’s part of living in Atlanta that you have to be observant of your surroundings."

Germani said she was part of the group, years ago, that suggested the idea for the Drive Invasion, a popular music festival held Labor Weekend at the Starlight. In recent years, new generations have enjoyed the drive-in experience, with some movie-goers bringing along young children along for a family outing, Germani said.

On its Facebook page, the drive-in posted a statement about the shooting, thanking emergency responders and patrons who stepped in to help.

"We are saddened by last night's inconceivable events. Our hearts and prayers go out to those who are affected by this person's random, rare and grotesque actions," the statement said. "Let's show the world this is not what Atlanta is about."

Germani said the killing will not keep her group from returning to the drive-in. "I'm certainly going there tomorrow. We're not going to stop."

-- Staff writer Mike Morris contributed to this article.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Martial Arts Deaths

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I seldom hear of deaths in the martial arts. I feel that martial arts are generally safe. I'm starting this thread just to test my theory. If I'm right, it'll lay fairly dormant.
    GeneChing , it ' s too baf that these people all died doing what they love to do ,
    wheather if it ' s sports or martial arts in general . But , when you first sign up for these activities wheater if it ' s for any kind of sports in general or martial arts of any type in general , don ' t they say check with your doctor first or have the doctor sign an approval for you to participate in these activities ?

And just incase something really did go wrong , the organizers or sponsors of these activities , they ' re suppose to have a team of certified or license physicians , and ambulance with certified peramedics and Emergency medical technicians , to prevent anything from happening to any participants . I would think that the sponsors or organizers of these events would protect themselves from any lawsuits that might take place .

That way the partipants would know if they really should think twice before participating in these activities . If you go to the doctor for check up , then you have an idea if your really that healthy or not . If you don ' t go to the doctor , then how would you really know if you ' re healthy or not ? Or just a walking time waiting to drop dead or not ? I personally myself go to the doctor every 6 months for regular check up so far I got cholestoral , I ' m on lipitor for cholestroal , and I also have to watch my glucose too . Other than that I try to walk everyday and weight train to help burn the fat and calories in my body .

I do admit though that there ' re junk and good doctors , so if you think that the doctor you have now is junk or no t so good , then do your own research and change doctors .

Physicians aren't required unless it's full contact...

...and there are ways to get around that too. Most martial arts events only contract an EMT or Paramedic to be on site.

But back to Lenix, the alleged shooter has been caught.

11:23 p.m. Wednesday, May 16, 2012
    Alleged Starlight drive-in shooter caught
    By Alexis Stevens
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

With the alleged shooter in custody, friends of the man shot to death at the Starlight Six Drive-In were still struggling to make sense of the tragedy. And one lingering question remained unanswered.

Why?

“The only person that can answer that question can’t answer that question," Valerie Hammond with the Georgia Renaissance Festival told the AJC.

That person is 28-year-old Mitt Lenix, a martial arts expert and entertainer who died early Tuesday after being shot at the historic Moreland Avenue drive-in DeKalb County. For nearly two days, his alleged killer eluded capture before deputies zeroed in on him Wednesday afternoon.

The arrest comforted the Lenix family.

"It was a feeling of elation, a feeling of release," Mitt's father, William Lenix, told Channel 2 Action News.

After attempting to jump out of a third-story window, Quentric Shaymon Williams, 32, was arrested at the Sun Suites hotel at Steve Reynolds Boulevard and Club Drive near Duluth, according to the DeKalb County Sheriff's Office.

Williams, of Snellville, allegedly shot Lenix and left the drive-in.

"He did try to jump out of a third-floor window, but our deputies were able to grab him and keep him from escaping," said Sgt. Adrion Bell with the DeKalb Sheriff's Office. "And at that point, there was no further resistance."

Lenix was known by many for jumps of his own, according to friends. He holds a world record for jumping 9 feet 4 inches in the air and kicking and breaking a board, according to his biography on the website for his family's martial arts school.

Several years ago, Lenix turned his martial arts expertise into entertainment, partnering with friend Judah Andrews to create a popular act for the Georgia Renaissance Festival, according to Hammond, the festival's entertainment director.

But beyond his athletic skill, Lenix was known for his friendly personality and extreme dedication, Hammond said. Last season, even a knee brace from an injury sustained on stage couldn't keep Lenix from performing, she said.

"It's just so senseless," Hammond said. "He was the kindest, most dynamic person I have ever met."

Lenix, who friends said was on a date Monday night at the drive-in, couldn't get his Ford Escape to start and approached Williams for help, police said.

But Williams allegedly shot Lenix in the chest, got into his truck and left the drive-in, leaving Lenix lying on the ground, according to the incident report obtained by the AJC.

"We don't know a motive yet," Bell said.

As one witness tried to administer aid to Lenix, another followed Williams' Ford F150 until officers arrived, according to police. The chase ended when Williams crashed his truck near the Gwinnett-DeKalb county line and ran.

A female passenger in the truck was taken into custody and then released without being charged. Williams eluded capture until Wednesday afternoon.

Lenix, also a student at Georgia State University, died after being transported to Grady Memorial Hospital.

Adding to the tragic string of events, while heading to assist fellow officers chasing Williams, DeKalb police Officer Jason Cooper struck and killed a pedestrian on Memorial Drive. Clinton Hightower, 27, who police said was not in the crosswalk when he was hit, died at the scene.

Wednesday afternoon, investigators found a weapon in Williams' third-floor hotel room, but it was not immediately known if it was used in the alleged killing, Bell said.

Williams, whose criminal history includes two previous stays in state prison following drug convictions, was shirtless as he was put into a patrol car in the hotel parking lot. He was booked into the DeKalb County jail Wednesday evening and charged with homicide.

Meanwhile, fans of the drive-in that opened in 1949 vowed to continuing their traditions of seeing movies under the stars. Suellen Germani told the AJC her group, called the Drive Invaders, would take their usual front-row seats to watch "Dark Shadows" Wednesday night.

Drive-in leaders created a memorial fund to benefit the Lenix family and promote martial arts education. Those wanting to donate to the fund can visit http://www.gofundme.com/Mitt-Lenix-Fund.

Lenix's funeral will be Monday at 7 p.m. at Salem Baptist Church in McDonough, Channel 2 reported.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

When it's your time it's your time... I can only find comfort in that traditional teaching East and West says there is more than this world. What comes around goes around and we'll be treated as we treat others. We are all eventually going to find out at any rate!

Most martial arts students know and should certainly be told by their instructors repeatedly that despite the best precautions if you want to learn real kung fu unpredictable stuff happens and sooner or later they will get hurt. A good student takes injury as a lesson and will do their ****edest not to do the same thing again.

I seldom hear of deaths in the martial arts. I feel that martial arts are generally safe. I'm starting this thread just to test my theory. If I'm right, it'll lay fairly dormant.
    Most people will refer to practice or some sort of compitition where people get killed or whatever, but I suspect that death occurs all the time due to some form of Martial Art, and in particular a CMA. Whether it is deliberate or an accident does not matter. I personally know of 2 deaths that can be attributed to a martial art, and I know of at least 3 others that were also due to a martial art. CMA to be exact.
    I would also suggest that if you can injure or otherwise hurt yourself with your own weapon, you need to get shed of it and find some other form of defense. Even if it is just for show, compitition, or whatever, it is still not something you need to be doing if it can hurt you. Any system that can injure you just as well as it can an opponent is not a system I would consider.
    Jackie Lee

practice or training injuries abound

we suffer more accidents in training

then in actual sparring

safety first safety second and safety last

in both training and sparring

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    an interesting list here, not sure how many died at all while training or performing.

many of these deaths of course have drugs involved....thus the issue of MA meets sport meets performance enhancing drugs.

Famous Wrestlers That Have Died Since 1985 Before the Age of 65

Chris Von Erich (Von Erich Family Tree) - 21
    Mike Von Erich - 23
    Louie Spiccoli - 27
    Art Barr - 28
    Gino Hernandez - 29
    Jay Youngblood - 30
    Rick McGraw - 30
    Joey Marella - 30
    Ed Gatner - 31
    Buzz Sawyer - 32
    Crash Holly - 32
    Kerry Von Erich - 33
    D.J. Peterson - 33
    Eddie Gilbert - 33
    The Renegade - 33
    Chris Candido - 33
    Test - 33
    Adrian Adonis - 34
    Gary Albright - 34
    Bobby Duncum Jr. - 34
    Owen Hart - 34
    Yokozuna - 34
    Big **** Dudley - 34
    Brian Pillman - 35
    Marianna Komlos - 35
    Umaga - 36
    Pitbull #2 - 36
    The Wall/Malice - 36
    Emory Hale - 36
    Leroy Brown - 38
    Mark Curtis - 38
    Eddie Guerrero - 38
    John Kronus - 38
    Davey Boy Smith - 39
    Johnny Grunge - 39
    Vivian Vachon - 40
    Jeep Swenson - 40
    Brady Boone - 40
    Terry Gordy - 40
    Bertha Faye - 40
    Billy Joe Travis - 40
    Chris Benoit - 40
    Larry Cameron - 41
    Rick Rude - 41
    Randy Anderson - 41
    Bruiser Brody - 42
    Miss Elizabeth - 42
    Big Boss Man - 42
    Earthquake - 42
    Mike Awesome - 42
    Biff Wellington - 42
    Brian Adams (Crush) - 43
    Ray Candy - 43
    Nancy Benoit (Woman) - 43
    Dino Bravo - 44
    Curt Hennig - 44
    Bam Bam Bigelow - 45
    Jerry Blackwell - 45
    Junkyard Dog - 45
    Hercules - 45
    Andre the Giant - 46
    Big John Studd - 46
    Chris Adams - 46
    Mike Davis - 46
    Hawk - 46
    Mitsuharu Misawa - 46
    Steve Dunn - 48
    Cousin Junior - 48
    **** Murdoch - 49
    Jumbo Tsuruta - 49
    Rocco Rock - 49
    Sherri Martel - 49
    Steve Williams - 49
    Moondog Spot - 51
    Ken Timbs - 53
    Uncle Elmer - 54
    Pez Whatley - 54
    The Angel of Death - 54
    Eddie Graham - 55
    Tarzan Tyler - 55
    Haystacks Calhoun- 55
    Giant Haystacks - 55
    Buddy Rose - 56
    The Spoiler - 56
    Kurt Von Hess - 56
    Moondog King - 56
    Gene Anderson - 58
    Dr. Jerry Graham - 58
    Bulldog Brown - 58
    Tony Parisi - 58
    Rufus R. Jones - 60
    Ray Stevens - 60
    Stan Stasiak - 60
    Terry Garvin - 60
    Boris Malenko - 61
    Little Beaver - 61
    Sapphire - 61
    Shohei Baba - 61
    **** the Bruiser - 62
    Wilbur Snyder - 62
    George Cannon - 62
    Karl Krupp - 62
    Dale Lewis - 62
    Gorilla Monsoon - 62
    Hiro Matsuda - 62
    Bad News Brown - 63
    Bulldog Brower - 63
    SD Jones - 63
    Wahoo McDaniel - 63
    Not all of these can actually be considered MA related deaths as some were shot, and a whole bunch took way too much dope.
    Jackie Lee

A terrible fatality

This sounds so horrible. I can't even imagine it. My deepest condolences to the family and the Dojang.

Martial arts champ's tragic gym death
    Nov 15 2012 by Alistair Watson, West Lothian Courier

Competitors at a taekwondo grading event in Livingston were left shocked and devastated when a fellow participant died in front of them.

Popular Patrick ‘Paddy’ Timoney (42), described as a “one in a million man”, collapsed in front of his wife, family and friends on Sunday morning during a grading session at the Gmac Martial Arts gym in the Craigwillow Centre, Craigshill.

The father-of-three, who was a national taekwondo champion, died despite valiant attempts to revive him by other taekwondo experts taking part in the event.

Several of them took it in turns to perform CPR until paramedics arrived at the scene. He was taken to St John’s Hospital in Livingston but medics were unable to revive him and he was pronounced dead.

He leaves behind three children, Aiden, 14, Erin, nine, and four-month-old Cody.

Mr Timoney was looking to gain his fifth degree black belt during the grading session in front of a taekwondo grand master. He coached the national team and had fought in the 1998 world championships and was the current Scottish, Northern and British champion in the discipline of “hand destruction”.

The family man’s 43-year-old wife Jackie, who has also participated in the taekwondo world championships, was part of the judging panel on Sunday and watched in horror as her husband suffered a seizure in front of her eyes.

Sunday’s tragedy unfolded just after 11am on Sunday morning at the gym operated by close friend John McIlvaney.

He said: “Paddy was sitting his fifth degree black belt and was on the floor performing a pattern when he took a massive seizure and collapsed. His wife was on the panel for the grading so she watched it all happen.

“Every black belt took a turn at performing CPR on Paddy, nobody said a word they just got on with it. By the time we phoned an ambulance and it arrived, we had been performing CPR for about half an hour.

“We had to rush his wife out of the hall because, understandably, she was hysterical. I’ll never forget the sound of her screams.

“I was trying to reassure her that he was alright, but she was saying ‘I can see it in your eyes that he’s not’. Her screams were the most horrendous sound ever, they’ll haunt me forever.

“We also had young kids in the hall and had to get them out quickly. It was a really dark day.”

Mr McIlvaney, who had known Mr Timoney for years, also paid to the “larger-than-life” character who always had a joke to tell.

He added: “The response from people has been overwhelming. It shows just how well-known and well-liked Paddy was. He was a larger-than-life character and the finest person I’ve ever met. He was so family-orientated.

“He was really well known within the taekwondo community, not for his flexibility or high kicks – he was known for his infectious sense of humour and warm personality. He was the funniest man I’ve ever known and the person I would want at my side going through tough times. It’s awful he won’t be here anymore.”

Mr Timoney, from Coatbridge, had enjoyed a high profile in the sport, and was a board member of the International Taekwondo Federation Scotland.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

What a way to go...

Martial-arts expert died after bus fall
    14 May 2013

A MARTIAL-arts expert died after he fell and banged his head while trying to board a transit bus at Dublin Airport, an inquest heard.

Alan Ruddock (68)from Douglas in the Isle of Man, slipped on a wet floor when boarding the bus during heavy rain on April 2 last year.

Dublin Coroner's Court heard that the incident happened as passengers on an Aer Arann flight to the Isle of Man were being transferred to their plane by a single-decker Sky Handling bus.

Mr Ruddock, who originally hailed from Dublin and taught the martial art of Aikido, was returning home from Cork.

Coroner Dr Brian Farrell returned a verdict of accidental death.
    An Aikidoka no less.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The thing they are finding out with hockey and football players is that more than a few of them suffer from and ultimately die from brain diseases brought on by repeated strikes to the head.

To put it simply, fighting is not a healthy thing at all on any level. You take risk and you pay for that risk.

For me, it's because I never liked knitting and have been fully aware of my own mortality for some time now.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Odd story

There's a lot going on here beyond the martial arts connection. 62 injuries? The alleged report wasn't on this article and I didn't dig out the source.
    Tuesday, 08 October 2013 15:07
    Trained in martial arts, couple's KUNG-FU fighting turns FATAL

The couple were trained in Chinese martial arts, which they often used against each other whenever tempers flared.

Their last domestic scuffle took a tragic turn when the wife died.

Lee Show Fui, 34, was yesterday jailed for five years after pleading guilty to one count of culpable homicide not amounting to murder.

He killed his China-born Singaporean wife, Madam Tang Shifang, 37, in their flat at Block 441B, Fernvale Road, in Sengkang on Aug 31, 2011.

Lee, who has been suffering from schizophrenia since 2007, lost his job as an administrative assistant for a nutrition company a week before the fatal incident.

But he did not tell his wife, said Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) Eunice Ng.

When he overslept on Aug 31, Madam Tang, thinking he would be late for work, pulled his ear to wake him up and scolded him.

When Lee played a computer game instead, she slapped him on the right cheek, causing him to lose the game.

He retaliated by punching her in the abdomen and they started fighting.

Lee left the flat at 9.14am, pretending to go to work. But he soon went back to confront Madam Tang for having "bullied him" earlier, said DPP Ng.

Another violent fight broke out and Madam Tang, a coffee shop assistant, was killed.

The post-mortem on Sept 1 revealed that she had suffered 62 injuries (see report below) and she died due to massive abdominal haemorrhage from traumatic injuries to her left kidney.

In mitigation, Lee's lawyer, Mr Singa Retnam, told Justice Woo Bih Li that Madam Tang had often bullied him.

Before sentencing Lee, Justice Woo said: "No one is entitled to think he can retaliate with violence just because (his) wife started an altercation."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I hate ttt-int this thread...

...especially when it is horrible news like this.

Martial arts expert shoots dead son, 10, before killing himself
    Oct 03, 2014 10:55
    By Jessica Best

Taekwondo teacher Miguel Angel Diaz, who had recently separated from his partner, was found dead in his gym along with son Juan Martin

Tragedy: Miguel Angel Diaz and his son Juan Martin

A martial arts instructor hanged himself after shooting dead his 10-year-old son.

Taekwondo specialist Miguel Angel Diaz was found dead alongside his son Juan Martin in the gym at their home by the boy's mum Elizabeth Lindt.

Ms Lindt, 30, had left 37-year-old Diaz in April after a series of rows.

She went to his house in the Argentinian town of Concordia after becoming concerned when Diaz, who was looking after their son for the day, failed to answer the phone.

After knocking at the door and getting no answer, she enlisted the help of a neighbour to force it open.

Neighbour Lisardo Castellanos said on local TV: "She was quite distressed and said she feared something dreadful had happened.

"So I helped her open the door and when we went inside it was like a scene from a horror film."

Inside the gym they found Diaz had hanged himself. He also had a gunshot wound to the head, and a suicide note stuck to his shirt.

Little Juan's body was found on the floor. He had been shot twice in the head and once in the back.

A police spokesman said they were treating the tragedy as a homicide and a suicide.

Diaz had been well-known in the community for running the local gym, where he provided self-defence training to security guards and policemen, including firearms training.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

There's a lot going on here beyond the martial arts connection. 62 injuries? The alleged report wasn't on this article and I didn't dig out the source.
    Wow. It all started with playing computer games too much and being late for work.

How sad

...especially when it is horrible news like this.
    Wow at anyone thinking that was a murder-suicide.
    Looks more like a "lesson" was being taught to someone...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !