Thread: Red Canvas

Red Canvas

I was invited to the premiere of this but I already had an appointment then.

This action-packed martial arts movie deserves a black belt
    MOVIE REVIEW: THE RED CANVAS
    Bianca deCastro
    Issue date: 10/2/08 Section: Student Culture

The increasing number of mixed martial arts movies seem to be on a hit-or-miss scale with viewers. Mixed martial arts films are taking over the fighting genre in Hollywood and sometimes feature martial art masters.

Kenneth Chamitoff makes his debut as writer and co-director of the new action film, "The Red Canvas."

Forget about stuntmen. This film stars San Jose native Ernie Reyes Jr., whose real-life experience in the martial arts world is displayed as he blazes through the movie's top-notch fight scenes.

Master Ernie Reyes Sr. also snagged a role in this action-packed film, who oddly enough plays Diego "Tiger" Sanchez, the father of the younger Reyes character.

The father-and-son team brought a crew from Ernie Reyes' school, "West Coast Martial Arts," to co-choreograph, star and create the award-winning fight scenes.

The film's action scenes also feature real mixed martial arts fighters such as Gray Maynard, a star of Spike TV's "The Ultimate Fighter 5;" Tyson Griffin, who has 12 wins and 1 loss in Ultimate Fighting Championships; Frank Shamrock, the undefeated Ultimate Fighting Champion; Shonie Carter, trainer on BET's new mixed martial arts reality show, "Iron Ring" and Dan Severn, Ultimate Fighting Championship hall-of-famer and former World Wrestling Entertainment superstar.

Also, be on the lookout for an up-and-coming star in this film, as it features a kick-ass fight scene by an 8-year-old named Ki Reyes, the youngest son of Ernie Reyes Sr.

Ki Reyes has an extraordinary solo fight scene in the film that displays his martial arts versatility, leaving audiences wanting to see more of the martial arts action.

At times, the storyline tends to knock itself out as the transitions from the two main characters' lives require undivided attention.

Johnny Sanchez (Reyes Jr.) is a stubborn street thug with a demand for respect whose erratic behavior has landed him in prison.

The warden (John Savage from "Deer Hunter," which won the 1978 Best Picture Academy Award) has a subplot that requires some careful attention.Just in case you miss it (and this is not a spoiler), the story with the warden is that he is seeking revenge on General Krang (George Takei from "Heroes"), who held the warden captive and tortured him as a prisoner during the Vietnam War.

The warden releases Sanchez from prison on the condition that he fights in a tournament, which is appropriately called the Red Canvas and held by the warden's nemesis, Krang.

Krang has devised a secret weapon guaranteeing that his sponsored fighter, "Torch" (Gray Maynard), wins each time.

Sanchez's bad boy attitude in the film is at times humorous, creating a comedic touch to the overall dramatic action film.

His tendency from the past - to solve problems in illegal manners - creates a rift between his family and freedom, leaving him to choose between morals or the mayhem of life in prison.

Overall, the film is packed with awesome fight scenes, complete with music worthy of an iPod.

The movie has heart and despite the writer/director's infancy in the filmmaking business, we can expect great things if he keeps this quality in practice.

"The Red Canvas" held red carpet premiers in a few major U.S. cities, such as San Jose, Los Angeles and Orlando, Fla.

However, this fight needs a sponsor. Show times and locations are yet to be announced as the feature film is awaiting action on the part of the Motion Picture Company.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Trailer

Here's a link to the trailer I accidentally watched http://www.aoffest.com/red-canvas.html

Looks pretty cool. I still remember Ernie Reyes Jr. from the Last Electric Knight and Sidekicks TV series...then again that was way back in the 80's....

I can't believe it's been so long...even I'm starting to feel old.

Quote Originally Posted by iron_silk View Post
    Here's a link to the trailer I accidentally watched http://www.aoffest.com/red-canvas.html

Looks pretty cool. I still remember Ernie Reyes Jr. from the Last Electric Knight and Sidekicks TV series...then again that was way back in the 80's....

I can't believe it's been so long...even I'm starting to feel old.
    Don't forget he was Kino the pizza delivery boy in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II. He was also in the Donatello suit for the first TMNT movie. Oh yeah, and Surf Ninjas. Hah.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    Don't forget he was Kino the pizza delivery boy in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II. He was also in the Donatello suit for the first TMNT movie. Oh yeah, and Surf Ninjas. Hah.
    I prefer to stick with his 80's career...you know...Red Sonya and The Last Dragon...

and...he was pretty funny in Rundown.

(On a side note I did however watched his 90's movies)