Thread: What's Right with Forms.

What's Right with Forms.

So after practicing a couple of my favorite forms last night, I started to think about why there are so many forms within my style when a couple would probably do. I thought about it for a bit and then put it out of my mind. Later on while reading "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac, it just hit me. I always say that you have to put things in context-- so why so many forms?---- What I realized is that the masters weren't only passing on martial knowledge to their students- they were giving them a long-term career and a good retirement package.

Most CMA takes at least ten years diligent study to master- go back to a time when there wasn't SSA or Pensions etc. and there weren't a lot of career choices. Let's say you stayed with a master and learned the style in full. He got at least 10 years of pay- and a lifelong friend who'd probably help to support him when the student started his own school and the master retired. Multiply this by a good number of students...

The forms are safe- they provide endless amusement- and they give you something to strive for that can be practiced throughout your whole life. Plus- with enough of them- they can give you a decent life-long income. Not a bad deal.

lol.

nah. that's not it.

Kung Fu is good for you.

You can indeed do forms a long time. Some more than others.

It's hard to grapple forever. My sensei was one of the most darth vaderesque people I'd ever met. Tough as nails, but ... I mean come on. Permanently dislocated ribs and torn shoulders galore. It's just not something you do until you're 80.
    And of course boxing only can go so far in one's life. The brain doesn't like repeated trauma. It shows on some people (especially on bullshido) even as young as they are. j/k

Nice post.

Oh, brother.......

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    Oh, brother.......
    Uh uh.....oh no you didn't, sister! *SNAP!*

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlin View Post

It's hard to grapple forever. My sensei was one of the most darth vaderesque people I'd ever met. Tough as nails, but ... I mean come on. Permanently dislocated ribs and torn shoulders galore. It's just not something you do until you're 80.
    And of course boxing only can go so far in one's life. The brain doesn't like repeated trauma. It shows on some people (especially on bullshido) even as young as they are. j/k

Nice post.
    absolute tool
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlin View Post

Nice post.

I know a grappling form. I practice it solo...

I usually win.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

White Gorilla

..nothing is wrong with forms. You need a minimum of 100 forms to become a Master. Everyone knows this. I am on form #120 because I am on my 2nd Dan of Kung Fu White Gorilla Style. Forms #1 - #50 were our monkey style which taught small frame style such as chin na, grappling and leg sweeps. Forms #51-60 taught us baboon style which taught lin wan and aggression thru adapted forms #40 thru #50. #61-#63 introduced large frame Ape - Orangutan style. Orangutan style taught use of long arm and necessity for flowing power. #'s 64-80 were lessons in Lesser Apes or style of sinking, rolling, and throws. The remainder forms were of the Great Apes. Now we were taught all weapons and art of warfare outside of physical confrontation. The White Gorilla begins only after form #100 is mastered.

I can not disclose White Gorilla Style for it is only for students who pre-paid for 12 months.

It's all good.

nospam
    佛家

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    I know a grappling form. I practice it solo...

I usually win.

Is it called wrestle the snake 'til he vomits?
    I think most guys win at that.

Kung Fu is good for you.