View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 436 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 336386426434435436437438446486536936 ... LastLast
Results 6,526 to 6,540 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Well, when you are a dedicated zombie follower of the dog faced kenpo movement, I guess all you have left is to talk about receeding hairlines
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Bodhi

Just chimed into this one. Feel compelled to add a few comments;

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    Wow, that's some real classy monks that would laugh at the people who come across the ocean to see them. Their not even monks. Their just wushu people who pretend to be monks to bring money to the government.
    You know bodhi w., sighting them as 'classy monks' or wushu people posing as monks does not invalidate their opinion and what they saw they obviously found laughible. I am not saying it's good manners by 'western standards' & I have witnessed it many times myself in China but many over there will laugh when they see something inferior being passed off as good Chinese Martial Arts. Unlike Sin's people, the 'Monks' (whether or not they are valid monks or not is inconsequential in this case) & most regular Chinese people alike have seen a hell of a lot more in the realm of Chinese Martial Arts and can recognize real skill. I am only speculating but I can guess looked at Sin's people and were so unimpressed to the point of thinking WTF!

And buying a tablet at the front of Shaolin means nothing at all, you have the money anyone can do it. Having the tablet does not validate 'Sin' or his 'stuff'.

I have seen some of Sin's students I place them up there with the Temple Kung Fu sorts, Kenpo trying to pass itself off as Chinese Martial Arts.

You can say that lkfmdc lacks etiquette but me personally I appreciate his straight forwardness. He comes from a background of traditional CMA and has gone forward into the area of full contact fighting so I would guess that he has seen enough to certainly be able to recognize a legitimite Chinese Martial Art.

Once again my own opinion, Sin's stuff is right up there with Temple Kung Fu (as well as Shou shu) and it's all C R A P!
    Etiquette requires us to admire the human race.
    --Mark Twain

I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.
    --Mark Twain

Questioning my knowledge has made you look even more ignorant
    --Shaolinsky

which one of you gave ross the photoshop?

lol

too funny man

"checkers"
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    which one of you gave ross the photoshop?
    I AM INSULTED!

I did that photoshop on my own!

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by firepalm View Post
    Just chimed into this one. Feel compelled to add a few comments;

You know bodhi w., sighting them as 'classy monks' or wushu people posing as monks does not invalidate their opinion and what they saw they obviously found laughible. I am not saying it's good manners by 'western standards' & I have witnessed it many times myself in China but many over there will laugh when they see something inferior being passed off as good Chinese Martial Arts. Unlike Sin's people, the 'Monks' (whether or not they are valid monks or not is inconsequential in this case) & most regular Chinese people alike have seen a hell of a lot more in the realm of Chinese Martial Arts and can recognize real skill. I am only speculating but I can guess looked at Sin's people and were so unimpressed to the point of thinking WTF!

And buying a tablet at the front of Shaolin means nothing at all, you have the money anyone can do it. Having the tablet does not validate 'Sin' or his 'stuff'.

I have seen some of Sin's students I place them up there with the Temple Kung Fu sorts, Kenpo trying to pass itself off as Chinese Martial Arts.

You can say that lkfmdc lacks etiquette but me personally I appreciate his straight forwardness. He comes from a background of traditional CMA and has gone forward into the area of full contact fighting so I would guess that he has seen enough to certainly be able to recognize a legitimite Chinese Martial Art.

Once again my own opinion, Sin's stuff is right up there with Temple Kung Fu (as well as Shou shu) and it's all C R A P!
    I wonder why it can not be understood by you people that SD has DIFFFRENT TRADITIONS because of the geographical direction it went after leaving China.

As for the Traditions in CMA a lot of it is STRAIGHT C R A P and has nothing to do with real martial arts. Lion dancing , flowery movements, cerimonies and rituals, and all that was added to the arts after they left the temple and /or a part of Family traditions, but have NOTHING to do with legitimacyof the arts .

I think you guys spend too much time argueing about the differences in everything and do not focus on the similarities. The uniform , the terminology , etc. does not matter.

I know that the stone tablets have nothing to offer in the way of legitimacy either.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I wonder why it can not be understood by you people that SD has DIFFFRENT TRADITIONS because of the geographical direction it went after leaving China.

As for the Traditions in CMA a lot of it is STRAIGHT C R A P and has nothing to do with real martial arts. Lion dancing , flowery movements, cerimonies and rituals, and all that was added to the arts after they left the temple and /or a part of Family traditions, but have NOTHING to do with legitimacyof the arts .

I think you guys spend too much time argueing about the differences in everything and do not focus on the similarities. The uniform , the terminology , etc. does not matter.

I know that the stone tablets have nothing to offer in the way of legitimacy either.
    I think that calling the cultural traditions straight crap is the same as calling anyones traditions crap. how about the Muay Thai homage to Garuda? Is that straight crap or just something that's part and parcel? How about the Janga in capoeira? Crap?

yes, there are lots of traditional elements of acquiring kungfu through practice of chinese martial arts that have little to do with martial art, but so what, that's how it is, it's tied into it. If you want to bypass that, then just go learn san shou and you can avoid all that.

however, there is a difference between culturally relevanyt stuff and outright bs such as dog faced hairy monks and using stones at shaolin that were paid for to present oneself as something they are not. Not to mention the near complete disconnect from virtually all styles of actual tcma.

it's like if I held up a pineapple and insisted that it was an orange.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I think that calling the cultural traditions straight crap is the same as calling anyones traditions crap. how about the Muay Thai homage to Garuda? Is that straight crap or just something that's part and parcel? How about the Janga in capoeira? Crap?

yes, there are lots of traditional elements of acquiring kungfu through practice of chinese martial arts that have little to do with martial art, but so what, that's how it is, it's tied into it. If you want to bypass that, then just go learn san shou and you can avoid all that.

however, there is a difference between culturally relevanyt stuff and outright bs such as dog faced hairy monks and using stones at shaolin that were paid for to present oneself as something they are not. Not to mention the near complete disconnect from virtually all styles of actual tcma.

it's like if I held up a pineapple and insisted that it was an orange.
    It is crap in the sense that it has nothing to do with the martial arts and was not practiced inside the temple the way that it is presented in TCMA schools.

This was something that was added after the fact.

As for the near disconection from All styles of TCMA I think this was the idea. The material and history is still the same.

I am curious as to how you guys come up with these conclusions based on just stuff you get off the net , amazing.

Thumbs down tatooed monk

As for the Traditions in CMA a lot of it is STRAIGHT C R A P and has nothing to do with real martial arts. Lion dancing , flowery movements, cerimonies and rituals, and all that was added to the arts after they left the temple and /or a part of Family traditions, but have NOTHING to do with legitimacyof the arts.
    As David Jamieson mentioned it's just part of the arts and how it is. A lot of these traditions are representative of regional culture & custom (i.e.; Lion Dance is primarily a Cantonese / South Chinese activity). But what I don't understand in responding to my statement is how you think this supports your argument? The 'monks' laughing is in all likelyhood because what they saw thought was very bad martial arts. Bad manners perhaps but still a response to bad martial arts.

As to your argument of the geographical direction your style went on, a lot of Asian martial arts are reflective of this. Many Fukien styles found there way to places like Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, etc... but style retain their essence. I guess Shaolin Do when it went to Indonesia I believe it was morphed into Kenpo.

Perhaps if you got out more and saw more of the Chinese Martial Arts you'd see that what you do (Shaolin Do) is pretty substandard and really nothing more then kenpo (which in of itself is not CMA).

Etiquette requires us to admire the human race.
    --Mark Twain

I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.
    --Mark Twain

Questioning my knowledge has made you look even more ignorant
    --Shaolinsky

Quote Originally Posted by firepalm View Post

I guess Shaolin Do when it went to Indonesia I believe it was morphed into Kenpo?

Perhaps if you got out more and saw more of the Chinese Martial Arts you'd see that what you do (Shaolin Do) is pretty substandard and really nothing more then kenpo (which in of itself is not CMA).
    LMFAO, had to re-post this part

Well... that just about proves it... you know squat about CMA.

Nah just the things that make it overtly obvious that you don't practice CMA without moving.

Nah given the TKD school stele at the Henan temple towards the front of the line that his is in... or the Tang Soo Do school's... or the Shorin-ryu's... etc...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    Well... that just about proves it... you know squat about CMA.

Nah just the things that make it overtly obvious that you don't practice CMA without moving.

Nah given the TKD school stele at the Henan temple towards the front of the line that his is in... or the Tang Soo Do school's... or the Shorin-ryu's... etc...
    How so??

My point here is that these are the things that most of the people base the legitimacy or lack there of on.

I know the difference.

Once again, how is it that you base your opinon on a dozen or so peoples performances and website informtion and come to the conclusions you do/??

ttm,
    if you don't know where you've been then you don't know where you're going. if you practiced tcma's then you would understand, you only attack it because you don't have it in what you do. without the "cultural crap", you're only practising ma's without the tc, tjma, ect. so that by definition makes what you do not tcma's. i'm not trying to be an arse only pointing out some valid points.

Quote Originally Posted by jit fu View Post
    ttm,
    if you don't know where you've been then you don't know where you're going. if you practiced tcma's then you would understand, you only attack it because you don't have it in what you do. without the "cultural crap", you're only practising ma's without the tc, tjma, ect. so that by definition makes what you do not tcma's. i'm not trying to be an arse only pointing out some valid points.
    I am just curious as to how you guys miss all the points and misread into everything that is posted.I do practice TCMA I just have different traditions.

I am just curious as to how you guys miss all the points and misread into everything that is posted.
    Everyone here get's the whole picture very clearly, except for you. Too much kool aid, too much brain washing - time for the deprograming to begin, but we already see "stage one" = hostility, with evidence of stage two = denile

I do practice TCMA I just have different traditions.
    NO, you practice kenpo, and a bad version at that... and adhere to stories no one over the age of 9 should believe

ttm,

no problem. but if your art hails from fukien, it's reasonable to think that what is taught in your system would have more of a hakka type base and execution, or at the very least a more hung type feel. from the curriculum i've seen, it seems a complete mix of alot of different stystems. each with there own energy, stance, history, execution and general way of "how they do it". from the videos i've seen , shaolin do performs the hua kuen same just as they do fu hok. no ill feelings just curious to hear your take on it.