Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fight like a snake

Fight like a snake

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Cool show.

When I was younger, I thought snake style was the coolest of the five animals.

Praying Mantis was the coolest style but I didn't even know what it was before Virtual Fighter 2.

TBH though I don't think it makes any sense for humans to study animal fighting techniques. Humans are humans. Study human fighting techniques. Snake fighting is instinctive for a snake. Preying mantis fighting is instinctive for a preying mantis.

Boxing/kickboxing is instinctive fighting for a human. That's why untrained fighters "look like kickboxers" and why the best fighters in the world also look like kickboxers.

Animal styles are cool looking, though, and some of the forms can be a good workout.

Snake Deadly Act was one of my favorite kung fu movies. I own it on VHS. It cracks me up how the English subtitles are different from the English being spoken in the movie. The training scene beginning at 0:55:00 is pretty cool, too. That leg training device is nuts lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2pVUdT-pOA
    Last edited by IronFist; 10-03-2012 at 09:14 AM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I study Neanderthal style.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Cool show.

When I was younger, I thought snake style was the coolest of the five animals.

Praying Mantis was the coolest style but I didn't even know what it was before Virtual Fighter 2.

TBH though I don't think it makes any sense for humans to study animal fighting techniques. Humans are humans. Study human fighting techniques. Snake fighting is instinctive for a snake. Preying mantis fighting is instinctive for a preying mantis.

Boxing/kickboxing is instinctive fighting for a human. That's why untrained fighters "look like kickboxers" and why the best fighters in the world also look like kickboxers.

Animal styles are cool looking, though, and some of the forms can be a good workout.

Snake Deadly Act was one of my favorite kung fu movies. I own it on VHS. It cracks me up how the English subtitles are different from the English being spoken in the movie. The training scene beginning at 0:55:00 is pretty cool, too. That leg training device is nuts lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2pVUdT-pOA
    Kung fu movies always had the best training sequences !
    The "animal based" systems weren't suppose to imitate the animal but to take the qualities of that animal that would carry over into the "fighting style".
    IN the case of the snake - speed, relaxed spring power, pin-point accuracy.
    The "snake fist" would be used after the hands were conditioned enough to be used and, typiclaly, used only on specialized techniques, namely the "finishers".
    Think taking a guy out with , using a common point of reference, with a left hook to the liver and and over hand right and then finishing him with a "snake fist" to the throat/neck.

I forget where but i read somewhere that old school snake practitioners would test their hands on big slabs of meat like a pig carcass or what not.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I forget where but i read somewhere that old school snake practitioners would test their hands on big slabs of meat like a pig carcass or what not.
    Never met one, snake stylist that is, BUT have met a few Japanese and Okinanwan guys that had spear hands that would really F you up.
    Uechi-ryu guys like Kinjo sensei are an example.
    The movies give the idea that a guy is "punching" with his spearhand/snake fist, but in reality ( from what I have seen in practical terms), like any specialty fist, it is used at the "right time on the right place".

seems like a quick way to be able to 'finish' someone when you dont have a weapon and you have already incapacitated them. roadhouse style.

seems like a quick way to be able to 'finish' someone when you dont have a weapon and you have already incapacitated them. roadhouse style.
    Did you see my tiger claw clip on the other thread?

Nope. What thread?

Training animal styles has a purpose. It's a mnemonic device to help your brain pull out the right techniques for a given situation. "Okay four dudes and no way out, I need to be defensive and choose my strikes carefully like the crane" or "Four dudes and the door is behind them, do as much quick damage as I can and shock them with my anger to get to the door, like the tiger" etc etc....

Nope. What thread?
    SOuthern forum dude.

Fight Science

Remember My Life on FIGHT SCIENCE 2010 by Dr. Craig Reid?

I might merge this thread, as well as the Tiger claw throat tear thread with the Fight Science thread, once the discussion here dies down, just to keep things tidy.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Oh nice. Honestly I never doubted people that train and condition for it could rip out a throat. All i have to do is feel my own throat and know how vulnerable that part of the body is. You can also tear a guys balls off.

So Lucas...

All i have to do is feel my own throat and know how vulnerable that part of the body is. You can also tear a guys balls off.
    Do you feel your own balls and know how vulnerable that part of the body is too?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Do you feel your own balls and know how vulnerable that part of the body is too?
    Who hasn't? Got to be thorough.