Thread: Do You Want To Become A Kungfu Actor, Or Are You Looking For Kungfu Actors?

Hybrid View

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, KungfuCasting.

I actually support what you're trying to do. However, remember martialartscasting.com and www.martialartstalent.com? Both of those got some early buzz and both are down now. How will your model differ from those previous ones?

BTW, iMartial is actually still going. It was built mostly as a tournament registration site and still functions in that capacity within the sport karate circles. It just never had that much crossover to the CMA here, despite our efforts.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I actually support what you're trying to do. However, remember martialartscasting.com and www.martialartstalent.com? Both of those got some early buzz and both are down now. How will your model differ from those previous ones?

BTW, iMartial is actually still going. It was built mostly as a tournament registration site and still functions in that capacity within the sport karate circles. It just never had that much crossover to the CMA here, despite our efforts.
    hi,

I have not seen those websites before, but I think that the possible problems that they might possibly have been :

1. not enough motivation
    2. not enough money to pay the server costs
    3. they might not have had enough webhosting server knowledge
    4. or they somehow lost all data and did not wat to continue

I am sure, that the above things won't happen with me.

1. I have allot motivation, because I also want to be a actor
    2. I have a job, so I can pay the server costs.
    3. I have good knowledge about hosting etc.. and I do know that there will be a time that I have to upgrade to a Virtual Private Server in order to keep the website fast.
    4. I make backups

I will also personally contact some producers and directors soon so they also know that this system exists.

were those websites using the same kind of system as KungfuCasting?

Uh, don't mean to be a nudge-nik but who exactly besides the member are seeing this site. Both martial casting sites had actual job postings.

Quote Originally Posted by KungfuCasting View Post
    I will also personally contact some producers and directors soon so they also know that this system exists.
    That's a key point right there. A lot of casting agents are going to online talent pools but there are services like 24/7 Casting run by Heinz Productions that offers direct bookings. It's a yearly subscription but casting agents and directors use it to find talent so it's worth the small fee.

Try to pull in casting agents and directors and set up a "casting now" section, at least for student film and spec work for starters.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Debbie Ching
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Drake!!!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

OK OK... I'm sorry...

I'm like a little kid in that regard. Tell me not to do something, and it's like I'm friggin' hypnotized by defiance, man...

SORRY!!
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

apology accepted

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I'm like a little kid in that regard.
    After all these years you've been on the forum, I know. Believe me, I know.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    One issue is that, just as most martial arts people don't like non-MAist actors doing MA fight scenes, so many actors (and not just famous 'name' actors) can feel put off by seeing MAists with no acting training/experience cast in roles requiring a good bit of acting. By 'kung fu actor,' I assume that means not only performing MA onscreen, but also scenes requiring acting ability. As opposed to a stunt extra who appears briefly in a fight scene.

Contrary to popular belief among some MAists who want to get into film, good acting is much harder to do than it looks. Some people take to it more easily than others, just like MA, but it still requires training and time.
    hello ,

yes you are 100% right about that.
    that is the reason why there is a special place under the profile picture where members of the system may add their Acting experience etc..

and the fighters can always follow acting courses if they are really interested in acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Not only that but film fighting is totally different than real fighting. Pretty much you have to do the opposite of what you actually train unless you train as a performer.
    yes film fighting is very different, a well know way in movies is fighting to each others hands instead of directly hit someone well.

I'm just probing KungfuCasting's research on this project. Like I said, I actually support it. I support anything that promotes martial arts and martial artists. But having seen projects like this come and go already, I approach any such project with guarded skepticism. Actually, I approach all martial arts with guarded skepticism.

In regards to fighting vs. acting, if great fighters made great actors, we'd see MMA dominate the movies now. That's not even close. Yao Sing's comment above is spot on. For more, see Punching to Miss By Philip Ng (2005 July/August). Philip is a traditional CLF and WC practitioner who has made several films in China.
    yes that is true, but they can follow acting courses.