View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1200 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 20070011001150119011981199120012011202121012501300 ... LastLast
Results 17,986 to 18,000 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    Do you guys have any idea how crazy these conversations and talking points sound to someone that trains real kung fu? If I want to know more about something in Pak Mei I simply ask my Sifu, the same held true in Hung Gar (none of this conjecture, deification, and speaking for my Sifu is/was necessary).

The saying "jack of all trades, master of none" also comes to mind.

I would be genuinely curious what a long time SD'er would experience if they took just one of the styles/systems they claim to have learned and traveled to meet a legitimate teacher of said system. If what you are learning is authentic, then you should have no reservations about doing so, nor should you expect to be exposed to much that you have not already become familiar with. I do this whenever I get with Hung Gar and the Hakka martial arts.
    I am no longer "in" sd but I still practice some of the material I learned there...

I did not learn any of the external sd material only the internal. Of the internal I learned I think "yang 64" was taught best.

I have be lucky to meet and train and compare with tai chi CHUAN people all over the world. I travel ALOT. When I travel I seek out what ever martial artists I can and get as much exposer as I can to other styles. In comparing the tai chi CHUAN that I learned from my sd/csc teacher I have not had people call my practice into question.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by themeecer View Post
    And the merry go round spins again.

Do you have any idea how we don't give a flying flip what you think? I wouldn't pay 5 cents for yours or many other's approval on here. You and your pristine lineage wasn't there when I had to defend myself numerous times in the past. The training I received through GMT was; it did me well.
    Inspite of the many "issues" I have with the Sd system and the inconcistincies and lack of good information about some of the material there are a lot of people who can fight well and are in great shape from sd, I am a better fighter than I was before in part from sin the. He is a nice man in my personal interactions with him which is what makes the misinformation even more frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by themeecer View Post
    This is a fun trip down memory lane discussing these old translations. I still tell my students the story about phequefo.
    Wid ducks come out as a herd... That one always made me laugh.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by brucereiter View Post
    Wid ducks come out as a herd... That one always made me laugh.
    That is one of my favorites. Anytime I see a group of ducks I mention there is a herd.

Have you noticed there is a lot of vomiting going on? I don't know what these wild herds of phequefos are doing but they sure do vomit a lot of books.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Do you guys have any idea how crazy these conversations and talking points sound to someone that trains real kung fu? If I want to know more about something in Pak Mei I simply ask my Sifu, the same held true in Hung Gar (none of this conjecture, deification, and speaking for my Sifu is/was necessary).

I would be genuinely curious what a long time SD'er would experience if they took just one of the styles/systems they claim to have learned and traveled to meet a legitimate teacher of said system. If what you are learning is authentic, then you should have no reservations about doing so, nor should you expect to be exposed to much that you have not already become familiar with. I do this whenever I get with Hung Gar and the Hakka martial arts.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't think I've engaged in any deification and/or speaking for GMT. I am engaging in conjecture because GMT has shown himself to be an unreliable source of information, and I would like to sort out the correct origins, if there are any, of what I spent years doing in SD. Recent discussions on this forum have been very helpful.

I'd also like to know if there was actually a unique "core" Indonesian MA prior to the advent of both the "made up" stuff and anything taken from books, and whether it warrants further investigation.

I'm interested in the information. I'm not attempting to create talking points between SD and people who train "real kung fu", nor am I asserting that SD is a good or "authentic" martial art.

Core ? Correct ? Effective?

So lets say I am performing a form that GMT learned from a tape or book, and all that I learned from him was such. Not considering the lie of it. If I can do the form well and train diligently on the applications of it, and can fight with it and can produce snap, power and fluidity with it , and also , not that its important but also kick butt. Then other than the lies or stories what is the problem. ? KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    So lets say I am performing a form that GMT learned from a tape or book, and all that I learned from him was such. Not considering the lie of it. If I can do the form well and train diligently on the applications of it, and can fight with it and can produce snap, power and fluidity with it , and also , not that its important but also kick butt. Then other than the lies or stories what is the problem. ? KC
    Many arts have their own "engine" so to speak, as well as entry strategy, footwork, conditioning methods, theory, etc. Without these, they just become "moves", and many of these moves are shared between most martial systems. This does not mean that most of these systems use the same body methods or ways of using these moves. It seems many have no idea how deep some systems go. Nobody is going to learn Iron Wire or Jik Bo from a book or tape, no matter how many times they watch or copy. Context is everything.

Bruce, thanks for the response. My question was an honest one and it sounds like you are happy with what you got.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Palm View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't think I've engaged in any deification and/or speaking for GMT. I am engaging in conjecture because GMT has shown himself to be an unreliable source of information, and I would like to sort out the correct origins, if there are any, of what I spent years doing in SD. Recent discussions on this forum have been very helpful.

I'd also like to know if there was actually a unique "core" Indonesian MA prior to the advent of both the "made up" stuff and anything taken from books, and whether it warrants further investigation.

I'm interested in the information. I'm not attempting to create talking points between SD and people who train "real kung fu", nor am I asserting that SD is a good or "authentic" martial art.
    Most martial arts is a crapshoot so to speak regardless. We all know that it is for the most part completely un-regulated. If we accept that as fact, then we should also accept that there is some good stuff out there, as well as a ton of fakes, and misinformation (I can list mentally 5-10 fakes I have run across that have no business teaching or claiming Hung Gar or Pak Mei for example). It pays to do our homework.
    -Golden Arms-

Many arts have their own "engine" so to speak, as well as entry strategy, footwork, conditioning methods, theory, etc. Without these, they just become "moves", and many of these moves are shared between most martial systems. This does not mean that most of these systems use the same body methods or ways of using these moves. It seems many have no idea how deep some systems go. Nobody is going to learn Iron Wire or Jik Bo from a book or tape, no matter how many times they watch or copy. Context is everything.
    I tried to bring this up a few pages ago, even posted vids as examples of what I meant. The meaning of my post seemed to be lost and was never addressed
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

GMT speaks 7 languages , I believe it is english spanish french german italian, more than one dialect of chinese not sure of the others , cant remember , not defending just sayin, busted again. KC

Wow, greatest man on earth!

So he's THE Shaolin grandmaster, Honored by the Temple because he's so awesome (and bought the plaque and paid for the space. Something any one of us can do) A nuclear physicist (without any paper to back it up). He knows seven language (but can't speak proper english after being surrounded by it for like 50+ years and can't pronounce words from his own culture.) What am I missing? Oh wait, didn't he design the mars rover and map the trajectory too?

I have never seen anyone step on their own dick the way this guy does.

Thought I was on ignore, squirt? You miss me?

Kisses

Syn you really should have an MRI to see if yoiu have early onset Alzheimers. I addressed the ignore thing like 5 pages back. So admit you are wrong and you forgot and all the other BS you spout. Man I really feel sorry for you I will pray for you to have that MRI. KC

However , I have witnessed the German , Spanish and of course english , and 2 dialects of chinese. not the Italian or french though. KC
    I can get by in more than 7 languages. But if asked, my answer is that I speak 3. Why? Because I am FLUENT in 3. The rest I just know enough to get thru it. Besides, learn one romance language, and the rest are easy. You just need to put in the time.

Damn, you are full up on the kool aid!

Could I bullshit a wannabe disciple into believing that I speak 25? With ease, son. Now I see why you chose that screen name. Get real, grasshopper!

A jack of all trades master of none is quite often more useful than a master of one!

I would be happy as a jack of all trades, master of ONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    I tried to bring this up a few pages ago, even posted vids as examples of what I meant. The meaning of my post seemed to be lost and was never addressed
    Common to this thread. A very selective crowd.

I mean we had one idiot claim to train hung gar, then posts a hung gar vid but says it was CLF and it was so horrible. This is the level of intelligence you are dealing with. If you really want to make any points that stick, egg shells and kid gloves, my friend.

Talking to your self!

Syn posts 3 different posts to try to get someone to bite. So I guess this means he is bored and just wants to spar. So here goes. 1st why is it called Kid Gloves?
    2. There are 2 types of MA on here. Those like Syn who talks alot and those like all the others that train alot. The reason for this is simple. Those who can do those who cant talk about it, right Syn?
    3. Syn continues to pick this forum because all he is is words, and hot air. and by putting it out here he denies his own short comings in his self discipline and skills. He replaces punches with words and kicks with phrases. He talks as if he has been around the block a time or 2 about scars and all well BS to that. Calls people stupid and son and all that BS like what he says matters. So anyway he is what was known in real MA schools as a wannabe. Too lazy to train so he talks about it. THE END. KC

Good Martial Artists are a lot like sex and money.
    Those that have It, Usually don't talk about It.

Just my .02 cents

OTD

Now !, Back to training, Teaching, Talking , Trolling........Whatever