Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tattoo...

Tattoo...

Greetings forums.

I am posting this here, because I'm not sure where it fits... and also this forums gets the most hits.

Here is my predicament:

I have been waiting to get my first tattoo until I go to China, and meet someone in the Chen family, or a monk at Shaolin, or something completely awesome like that. I have been waiting since I was 18, and everyone got their first tat, and all of the beautiful subsequent work. My desire was to get a master to write something relevant to Shaolin or Taiji and pay them for the work, which I would come back to the states and get permanently placed on my wrist or left pectoral.

Unfortunately, I turned 28 this year, and the future looks less likely to involve a trip to Shaolin or Chen villiage than the past.

SO....

Who has an image of kung fu/tai ji relevant characters, written by a kung fu/tai ji master, which wouldn't mind them being tattooed on a random kung fu/tai ji practitioner's body?

Hook a gong fu brother up.

"Siezing oppurtunities causes them to multiply" Sun Tze

You should seek the characters drawn by a calligraphy master first and foremost, if they do taiji, that's a bonus.

Keep in mind, traditional Chinese culture thinks pretty low of tattoos. Not that that should dissuade you either way, just so you know, most teachers in China would be silently mortified at the idea: they don't see that as a representation of dedication.

However, really, focus your search to what a calligraphy master has done, not a kung fu one. Search for images of calligraphy.

Hopefully someone else may help with some images.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    You should seek the characters drawn by a calligraphy master first and foremost, if they do taiji, that's a bonus.

Keep in mind, traditional Chinese culture thinks pretty low of tattoos. Not that that should dissuade you either way, just so you know, most teachers in China would be silently mortified at the idea: they don't see that as a representation of dedication.

However, really, focus your search to what a calligraphy master has done, not a kung fu one. Search for images of calligraphy.

Hopefully someone else may help with some images.
    Thanks.

I do understand your points.

I however, am culturally American via Sweden, and while calligraphy mastery is important, I really want something done by a master of gong fu/tai ji. A Chinese hand that holds strong kung fu is a hand that I want to write the label that will become a part of me.

Thanks very much for your input.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

Seriously, many kungfu teachers act as if they're a calligraphy master, and most suck. I leave your decisions to your discretion, but urge you to narrow the field by choosing from only true calligraphy masters, as they better capture the characters.

Just because one can fight well doesn't mean they have the same fury in their handwriting.

This is writing that is permanently on you, and you are not likely to learn beforehand the subtleties of chinese calligraphy(or you'd just do it yourself), so there's really nno harm in looking for calligraphy masters' works in the field.

Past that, hopefully someone here can post a pic of some famous kung fu master's work for ya.
    Last edited by KC Elbows; 09-09-2010 at 03:29 PM.

zheng manqing aka cheng man ching was a taiji master and great artist... caligrapher extraordinaire apparently... see if u can find any of his work...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    zheng manqing aka cheng man ching was a taiji master and great artist... caligrapher extraordinaire apparently... see if u can find any of his work...

And my grandmaster.

I realize this, but to no avail...

whos your sifu?? were you in NY?

he's your sigung and you havent seen any of his work??? im sure theres even some online... google it, look hard, try different words for searches... persistance pays off in google searching alot of the time... so much crap, but gems in there if you dig right...
    Last edited by Syn7; 09-09-2010 at 09:24 PM.

A calligraphy master is a kung fu master, IYKWIM.

why not draw up your own?? symbols are powerful tools and upgrades to ones human vehicle... choose and design them wisely... tattoos are spiritual in nature... energy signatures and divine footprints.

one of the most famous caligraphy and martial artists on the est coast is sik yee wong living in Toronto Canada, he has done work for me and my school adn his writingings are incredible he would be the guy you need to contact. hope this helps

http://www.artonnet.com/sikyeewong/room105.html
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Tattoo

One thing that most people don't think of when getting a tattoo, is that many years later the ink will spread, outlines will get fuzzy and sunlight will make them fade.

I would like to add, that depends on who does it, how deep they go, and what ink they use, however you are partially corect.
    If you dont have a steady percise hand and when looking through a magnifying glass the lines are a tad wavey, or they go too deep into the epidermis and or they use a bleeding cheeper ink all that will happen.

The sun fades everything but you must keep it out of sunlight for the first 6 weeks
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Keep in mind, traditional Chinese culture thinks pretty low of tattoos.
    It was traditionally associated with criminals. This has nothing to do with Yakuza-like body tattoos. In ancient China, men found guilty of crimes were often tattooed on the face. These tattoos were made to look similar to military face tattoos so criminals could easily be absorbed into the Chinese army.

I know this sounds weird, but try to get a another person to verify what the tattoo says. Otherwise, you might be in a changing room when a Chinese persons asks you why it says "Cat anus" on your back (no, I'm not speaking from personal experience.)

A lot of people tend to get 尽忠报国 because it is associated withe Yue Fei. But there is no proof he ever had such a tattoo or that he has any connection to the many styles attributed to him.

I've always thought about getting a Maori tattoo myself. Tattoo guns are for pussies. Bone needles, ink, and a hammer are the only way to go.
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 09-11-2010 at 10:27 AM.