View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 841 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 341741791831839840841842843851891941 ... LastLast
Results 12,601 to 12,615 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    So? If he kills someone aren't they just as dead?
    ...... if he is guilty by reason of insanity he will go to a hospital and maybe get out in a few years, if he is just plain guilty he goes to prison and /or put to death. or maybe gets out in more than a few years.

Hey bro . I am behind you 100% as well as anyone else that feels wronged, angry , sad, unhappy and outraged by this developement but I am avoiding getting emotionally caught up in it so that we can discuss this in a logical, rational and mature manner.

Did he RAPE any of these women???
    If he did that is another story all together......

If what is described in the court case happened then he should be able to get counseling, do his probation as well as stand down from his postion. He needs to be given a chance to pay his debt to society and move on with his life.

sd does not resemble karate in the least just because its stiff in awkward doesnt make it karate
    if anyones watched a proper karate demonstration its looks almost exactly like southern kung fu after all thats where karate came from
    just as sd doesnt resemble silat either

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Did he RAPE any of these women???
    If he did that is another story all together......

If what is described in the court case happened then he should be able to get counseling, do his probation as well as stand down from his postion. He needs to be given a chance to pay his debt to society and move on with his life.
    And yes he was charge with felony sexual assault which is rape. Check out the charges on the Boulder County Court website, Docket #09CR417. However since he's not foaming at the mouth crazy and his victim is not beat to a pulp it's kinda hard to prove. The DA did the best he could in this situation.

His students have gone as far as they can in trying to understand and help David. However when he started lashing out at people....well that's another story. The judge put it best when she said, "It appears the victims have been demonized in this case".

And yes he was charge with felony sexual assault which is rape. Check out the charges on the Boulder County Court website, Docket #09CR417. However since he's not foaming at the mouth crazy and his victim is not beat to a pulp it's kinda hard to prove. The DA did the best he could in this situation.

His students have gone as far as they can in trying to understand and help David. However when he started lashing out at people....well that's another story. The judge put it best when she said, "It appears the victims have been demonized in this case".
    Charged but not convicted.

If there was forced penetration there would have been trauma to various part of the body at the time the crime was commited. There would have been DNA evidence, right? Bruises , lacerations, contussions ??

Wouldnt that be enough to convict him?? What about the fact that the DA said there wasnt much to the case to prosecute him ??

oh anything to try to save face for sd

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    sd does not resemble karate in the least just because its stiff in awkward doesnt make it karate
    if anyones watched a proper karate demonstration its looks almost exactly like southern kung fu after all thats where karate came from
    just as sd doesnt resemble silat either
    So you criticize Mas Judt's opinions too. Do you know anything of his experience or background?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

i know karate and ihave seen sin preform as well as david and sharon soard
    if any one thinks thats karate well.... they need to see some actual masters in action

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    I'm too busy to play on the boards and this is the best you guys can do?

The actions of this Soard fellow does not really indict the SD group. That's stupid and uncalled for. As far as Sin The' 'taking action' - what exactly is he expected to do? He's just a MA guy. He's not the feudal lord of the SD empire. I suppose if he was certain he could have kicked the guy out - but really, it's the cops job.

SD is SD. It is a hybrid MA - some Chinese and some JMA. My research shows it mostly CMA in Indonesia. There is a *unique* system buried in it. Typical of, well 'central' Chinese methods. This is not a value judgement, just an observation.

Stories about being the 'true' Shaolin, or 'real martial arts don't exist in China anymore' are common in Malaysia and Indonesia. Big Chinese diasporia - cut off for a while because of war and madness in the homeland. I'm not surprised The' believes this. I'm just surprised he hasn't figured out that much of his history is certainly fable.

SD runs into trouble with it's 'we teach every style' approach - as folks who do the individual styles often find them lacking.

The SD system is related to a silat system that is essentially the GM Ie material renamed.

In the past, I ribbed these guys pretty hard - largely because of the 'goofy' variants of known systems, and the incredibly unimpressive stuff I once saw at a Las Vegas Shaolin Do school. (My buddy Brian was apoplectic that they even called it Chinese Martial Arts.) - although he did not know that mixing JMA and CMA was common with some schools in Indonesia*. Although there ARE CMA methods that resemble Karate a great deal, and watching Sin The' move, he has a peculiar power method that is rather distinct from Karate.

However, I won't judge everybody by a few encounters. I am certain it is NOT the 'original Shaolin' blah, blah, blah - EVERYBODY virtually thinks they are in the Nusantra. But neither are they the complete devil - there are plenty of 'legit' CMA schools that offer just as wide ranging and rather thin offering. And there are plenty of schools that are far, far worse that are so-called 'real.'

Not my cup of tea, but not total crap like say, www.oomyungdoe.com

(Although the history is certainly as incorrect.)

*read Don Dreagers excellent 'Weapons and Fighting Arts of the Indonesian Archipelago" for more detail. As well as the writings of Dr. Phillip Davies.
    Thanks for sharing that analysis. I've come to peace with this idea for a while now. Of course these concepts will be rejected by many because it contradicts with the stories they have been told for years, but it's not bad if it is practiced hard and taught well. The biggest problem within SD is the inconsistency in instruction and the number of really bad instructors and students. There are good, but a whole lot of bad too.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    i know karate and ihave seen sin preform as well as david and sharon soard
    if any one thinks thats karate well.... they need to see some actual masters in action
    He didn't say it was karate either. He said the method of power generation was peculiar and rather distinct from karate. Just like mixing yellow and blue make green, CMA and JMA mixed together in Indonesia can combine in unique ways to create something very distinctive. Mas Judt knows indoneasian martial arts so I value his opinion even when I haven't agreed with it.

Taai

The only difference between you and Soard is impulse control. Now I dont want to get into a big long debate with you as you seem to like that.
    But your students were later Therapists and your teaching had a direct influence on the student. As a therapist much like a MA teacher and his student , if the teacher is responsiple for the student when the become a Master, so are you for your student as a Therapist. So according to your logic you should turn in your license if any of your past students EVER "mess"up. That is a stupid idea dont you think? Here is your quote following. It seems to me to have those thoughts and feelings , is onestep, away from acting on it.

Interactions may occur - I am a licensed PT in NYS, and have manually treated numerous attractive and necesarilly scantily-clad females; was there something "chemical" and "energetic" that occurred? you bet there was! did any of them ever give me very strong indication that it would be ok to do something of a non-professional sort? yes; but did I EVER do anything inappropriate or unethical? NEVER; why not? because I am a professional, and as a professional, I understand that the power dynamic of a therapist / patient relationship is fundamentally innappropriate to transfer into a personal one; and likewise, exactly the same with a student / teacher relationship

You seem to be trying to turn this thing into a personal one, and trace it back to SD and GMT for some reason . The only thing I can assume is that you were beaten by some SD guy or girl way back when and you wont let it go.
    I have nothing against you and per our PM's I respect you as a therapist I just dont understand your agitated personality. I feel to be a good Therapist you must be filled with compassion and empathy not anger, as that anger will flow into your treatment. I await yourt disection of this post with anticipation. KC
    Last edited by kwaichang; 09-28-2009 at 12:34 PM.
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    He didn't say it was karate either. He said the method of power generation was peculiar and rather distinct from karate. Just like mixing yellow and blue make green, CMA and JMA mixed together in Indonesia can combine in unique ways to create something very distinctive. Mas Judt knows indoneasian martial arts so I value his opinion even when I haven't agreed with it.
    again no the power generation looks nothing like karate

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    The only difference between you and Soard is impulse control. Now I dont want to get into a big long debate with you as you seem to like that.
    But your students were later Therapists and your teaching had a direct influence on the student. As a therapist much like a MA teacher and his student , if the teacher is responsiple for the student when the become a Master, so are you for your student as a Therapist. So according to your logic you should turn in your license if any of your past students EVER "mess"up. That is a stupid idea dont you think? Here is your quote following. It seems to me to have those thoughts and feelings , is onestep, away from acting on it.

Interactions may occur - I am a licensed PT in NYS, and have manually treated numerous attractive and necesarilly scantily-clad females; was there something "chemical" and "energetic" that occurred? you bet there was! did any of them ever give me very strong indication that it would be ok to do something of a non-professional sort? yes; but did I EVER do anything inappropriate or unethical? NEVER; why not? because I am a professional, and as a professional, I understand that the power dynamic of a therapist / patient relationship is fundamentally innappropriate to transfer into a personal one; and likewise, exactly the same with a student / teacher relationship

You seem to be trying to turn this thing into a personal one, and trace it back to SD and GMT for some reason . The only thing I can assume is that you were beaten by some SD guy or girl way back when and you wont let it go.
    I have nothing against you and per our PM's I respect you as a therapist I just dont understand your agitated personality. I feel to be a good Therapist you must be filled with compassion and empathy not anger, as that anger will flow into your treatment. I await yourt disection of this post with anticipation. KC
    thats right everyone has sexual thoughts about people they find attractive but acting on them a different thing
    thinking and doing are two different things

as far as him getting beaten by some sd guy......

I have a question for everyone here who thinks Sin The' walks on water and can do no wrong:

Why does every student at the CSC/SD have to take off their shoes before they can enter the school and participate in class? I mean this doesn't apply to Sin The'. He always wears his shoe when teaching a class......Isn't this being disrespectful to the art?

I have a question for everyone here who thinks Sin The' walks on water and can do no wrong:

Why does every student at the CSC/SD have to take off their shoes before they can enter the school and participate in class? I mean this doesn't apply to Sin The'. He always wears his shoe when teaching a class......Isn't this being disrespectful to the art?
    If anyone thinks that they are too far gone to help!!lol No, it is not. Whether people wear shoes or not has nothing to do with anything. I think it is a matter of preference . The Japanese take their shoes off the Chinese dont . If we follow both then we should be able to do both

I know where you are going with this what a simple bait. Shoes or no shoes who cares. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !