Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun in a Phone Booth

Wing chun elbows

They are every where-slt, ck, bj, mok- with proper learning and practice they cover all directions.
    They are difficult to control in chi sao- specially for beginners.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    When I am in a phone booth, it is for the exclusive purpose of changing into my Superman outfit.
    My biggest problem is, there are no real phone booths left to fight in! I guess WC's use has finally passed us....
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Please show some pictures or clips in the Biu Jee form that has:

- downward elbow,
    - upward elbow,
    - straight elbow,
    - horizontal elbow,
    - backward elbow,
    - both forward and backward elbows,
    - both right and left elbows,
    He said "there are plenty of elbows in Bil Jee", not "Bil Jee contains every type of elbow strike you can think of".
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

My biggest problem is, there are no real phone booths left to fight in! I guess WC's use has finally passed us....
    No phone booths, but portaloos are still on the ascendance ... a good martial artist must learn to adapt.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    No phone booths, but portaloos are still on the ascendance ... a good martial artist must learn to adapt.
    Well there are also closets if you happen to be in one

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    haha, I was joking/messing with you. From everything I've seen, nothing stan does is even remotely close to realistic anythying. That's why I asked you to describe what you think is 'training realistically', so people can get a baseline of your understanding of the term
    thanks for the comical relife...ha ha lol

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    Can't I just give the guy 50 cents and save my floating ribs? Sheesh!

In all seriousness I agree with you. I can't stand WC people who insist that the only effective and real power generation can come out of a Wing Chun structure, especially since there is a very easy way to prove that is not the case.

What if his name is 50 cents and he wants to hit you with a Hook?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    When I am in a phone booth, it is for the exclusive purpose of changing into my Superman outfit.
    Wow I prefer changing into my god costume in the portapotty!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Why on earth would you think that?
    In a phone booth..Hung Gar and choy li fut and other longer or round punching styles would have less advantage. Yes Hung Gar has some direct in middle attacks but the power generation is different. Wing Chun is more Linear than choy li fut or hung ga if you fight with it traditionally...

if you use choy li fut like a western boxing...you will be limited when it comes to round punches outside of the jab and right and left crosses. sure uppercuts be utilize but WC method is for going straight ie sun punch...where choy li fut uses more outside attacks that uses swinging motion to generate more power!!!

That swinging motion or swinging range would be greatly limited by an enclosed space!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

While one has to take the reality check and realise that fighting in a phone booth is a farcical situation ...

Choy Li Fut does not solely consist if big swinging attacks. There are close range movements as well.

Sky marshals etc. have to operate in "tubular environments". And there are plenty of places which are basically narrow corridors in buildings.

Thumbs down

[QUOTE=YouKnowWho;1155421]Please show some pictures or clips in the Biu Jee form that has:

- downward elbow,
    - upward elbow,
    - straight elbow,
    - horizontal elbow,
    - backward elbow,

The elbow is only used in dire emergencies. Where you can not use the fist. The elbow is not as powerful as you might think, and the weapon is only about a foot long at best. It is like hitting someone with an 8 inch stick. It might hurt, but it will not hurt near enough to do you much good. You have to get to within a foot of the target, and your force is only a short swing of the upper arm with some of your weight behind it, maybe. Not much of your weight anyway. If you try to fight someone with your elbows you are going to get beaten badly. The only time an elbow is worth anything is when it is the only thing you can use at that time. Back when WC was being developed, Kung fu was about the only thing you would have to deal with. You have seen guys doing forms and such, and try to imagine doing that in a narrow run or doorway on a small junk or boat. You would not have enough room to fight. WC was developed on that boat and in that doorway or narrow run you can punch and kick with all your force and power. Standing in a real narrow space I can punch very hard, and I can kick very hard. Try getting through that small run by use of your elbows, and I will end up with your lunch money. Outside it's most useful situation(the phone booth) you have to improvise and overcome. You crowd the guy and render his best and most powerful weapons useless if you can.
    Jackie Lee

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Elbow is useless? Where do u get this crap really? The elbow and the knee are probably two of the most powerful techniques u have in clinch/close range fighting. Sometimes i wonder if u have ever actually done any MA's. Yes its limited in range but thats not what its intent is for. You compare it to a short stick. I compare it like being hit with a hammer.
    Last edited by Dragonzbane76; 02-02-2012 at 05:08 AM.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Please show some pictures or clips in the Biu Jee form that has:

- downward elbow,
    - upward elbow,
    - straight elbow,
    - horizontal elbow,
    - backward elbow,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhdmnxHdfRw

Here is a video of a Fong lineage practitioner doing the Biu Jee (It's in slow-mo as a reference).

As I was taught by my sifu (also Fong lineage): When you pull your arms back to "neutral position" (chambered by the chest) in each form, you're training elbow strikes with the posterior of the elbow.

As I practice the Biu Jee form, the first set of elbows are "piercing", i.e. they are done with a stabbing motion, training strikes with the tips of the elbows. The second set (with the stepping) are done as "hacking" , training strikes with the 'blades' of the elbows/ forearms. The third elbow set is training "crushing" elbows, using forceful downward pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    While one has to take the reality check and realise that fighting in a phone booth is a farcical situation ...

Choy Li Fut does not solely consist if big swinging attacks. There are close range movements as well.

Sky marshals etc. have to operate in "tubular environments". And there are plenty of places which are basically narrow corridors in buildings.
    The phone booth is an analogy of a situation where one has limited ability to move and generate "typical" power.
    One can just as easily say:
    In a crowd, in a corner, back against the wall, in a bathroom stall ( crappy situation but there you have it), etc.
    As for the notion that Hung Kuen and CLF don't have close range, well, it seems that Yoshi is confusing what he thinks he knows about those systems with what those systems actually do/train.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

The elbow is only used in dire emergencies. Where you can not use the fist. The elbow is not as powerful as you might think, and the weapon is only about a foot long at best. It is like hitting someone with an 8 inch stick. It might hurt, but it will not hurt near enough to do you much good. You have to get to within a foot of the target, and your force is only a short swing of the upper arm with some of your weight behind it, maybe. Not much of your weight anyway. If you try to fight someone with your elbows you are going to get beaten badly. The only time an elbow is worth anything is when it is the only thing you can use at that time. Back when WC was being developed, Kung fu was about the only thing you would have to deal with. You have seen guys doing forms and such, and try to imagine doing that in a narrow run or doorway on a small junk or boat. You would not have enough room to fight. WC was developed on that boat and in that doorway or narrow run you can punch and kick with all your force and power. Standing in a real narrow space I can punch very hard, and I can kick very hard. Try getting through that small run by use of your elbows, and I will end up with your lunch money. Outside it's most useful situation(the phone booth) you have to improvise and overcome. You crowd the guy and render his best and most powerful weapons useless if you can.
    It's a really good thing you know what you're talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OowSKtuW8YA
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    In a phone booth..Hung Gar and choy li fut and other longer or round punching styles would have less advantage. Yes Hung Gar has some direct in middle attacks but the power generation is different. Wing Chun is more Linear than choy li fut or hung ga if you fight with it traditionally...

if you use choy li fut like a western boxing...you will be limited when it comes to round punches outside of the jab and right and left crosses. sure uppercuts be utilize but WC method is for going straight ie sun punch...where choy li fut uses more outside attacks that uses swinging motion to generate more power!!!

That swinging motion or swinging range would be greatly limited by an enclosed space!
    yeah..kinda thought your answer would be like that...
    This is a very common misconception those outside the system have.

The reality is, Hung-Ga has pretty much the same techniques and power generation when using the short bridges. It is not a long bridge system that has some short hand techniques. On the contrary, it was originally a short bridge system that added longer bridging to it. Tan, bong, fook, pak, gan, kwun, yjkym, short shifting, inch power, elbows, sticking, trapping, lin sil die da, etc., have always been in the system. Look at the snake and crane techniques and one would think they are much more similar than different.
    CLF's Crane and Snake, utilizes the same principles.
    Power generation is similar in many cases as well-out of necessity.
    Having trained in all three systems, I have more than a little knowledge on this.
    (although I do admit I have spent much less time in CLF)
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Elbow is useless? Where do u get this crap really? The elbow and the knee are probably two of the most powerful techniques u have in clinch/close range fighting. Sometimes i wonder if u have ever actually done any MA's. Yes its limited in range but thats not what its intent is for. You compare it to a short stick. I compare it like being hit with a hammer.
    One major point of Jackie's that I agree with is the time to use elbows from a WCK perspective - in emergencies. Bascially, it's when our range and/or facing gets compramised and it's the only weapon available to us. If it's range that was lost, yes we would be in a clinch timeframe.

But, my understanding of elbows as a tool in WCK, it isn't our primary weapon because to use them means I had to give up my own space (I let my opponent inside my 'box') and lost full range to use both hands equally. We don't look to strike with elbows from the get go, we use them to get back to our preffered range and to regain facing if needed. But they are fun to use and do hurt like he11 when used with proper body methods!
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90