Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: one of the better wing chun clips on youtube

I appreciate this is going back a few pages but since most of the stuff on those reams of pages that have sprung up since yesterday aren't worth reading from anyone, thought I'd go back to one of the subjects.

BTW, I wrote most of this at the beginning yesterday, but the internet image thing is holding truer.

Quote Originally Posted by HardWork8 View Post
    Now that you have practised the internals, then tell me your honest view on their relevance for combat training.
    One word answer: structure.

Well, if you look hard enough then you may find some such schools as long as you don't provoke the " snots" by acting like the king of the (Wing Chun) hill.
    Well, I guess this is an internet image problem thing. I've got myself into a lot of trouble with various people on the net for 'speaking' frankly, but I don't really know how to present myself 'better' on these kind of forums. I don't have any of these problems face to face.

And to be fair, while I'm sorry for my apparent attitude, you come across as a complete arse too!

Maybe your unfamiliarity with certain internal concepts gives you the illusion that some internal practicioners are the way they are?
    Er, maybe that doesn't make sense! How would my lack of knowledge of any field influence someone I 'met' being a pompous ****? Apart from which, since I've said very little on the subject how do you know what my knowledge of internals is limited to?

There are no totally external schools (nor internal ones either) of kung fu!
    Not including my own fu in this, but I disagree with this assumption. You keep bringing it up and asserting it like it's true: it doesn't mean it's true. Many people have brought up examples to you of TCMA that are completely 'external' (if you even take a base definition) even if you don't agree that certain legitimate lines of WC are; ie Lau Gar, Hung Gar, CLF (though I'm not sure: there may be some internals in some CLF), White Eyebrow, Beggar... etc etc. The list is long. If you count one example of a meditative routine in one form as internal, maybe you have a point. I just thing it's wrong.

What determines the definition as "external" or "internal" is the emphasis that a given style places on them. That is why the idea of people practising Wing Chun as solely an external style is laughable.
    The style is made up of various people, no? If the people in that style don't emphasise any internal... ipso facto.

One of the surest ways of putting off students is by emphasising "boring" Chi kung.
    My WC teachers have always emphasized that real kung fu IS boring: it's hard work.

And BTW, I have asked my teachers exactly what they meant. They meant breathing naturally: specifically ignoring the intent part, the chi part, the dantien. The intent in wing chun is in lat sau jeuk chung (sp?!): it is the natural (well, 'trained natural') forward energy to strike. Hence the emptiness, the chan.

More about 'natural breathing' in a minute...

Also, William Cheung's book on the internals has quite a few exercises.
    Books. Talk to the high ranking Cheung students here and ask how much dantien breathing has featured in their practice over the years. That's if you want to use one from my list as a benchmark: considering your arguments with Andrew Nerlich, Phil Redmond and Victor Parlatti in the past on this board, perhaps Cheung isn't your best option for support.

In our school, breathe naturally means breathing through the dantien. I have seen this in other authentic kung fu schools as well. And to be honest, I hadn't heard of natural chest breathing in kung fu (nor karate) until I started posting in internet MA forums...

Well to be honest. I don't see the good in breathing from your chest. According to TCMA theory and what I have been taught in kung fu dantien breathing is healthier.
    OK, well this is where I've got to take you up on this 'chest breathing' thing. I've lurked on a few boards and I don't know of anyone using that phrase. I don't know of anyone who'd agree with the concept. It sounds like a typical straw man to me.

When my teachers and I talk about breathing naturally without any mention of the dantien, we are still talking about concentrating on breathing by focusing on abdominal (diaphragmatic) contractions: just like I was taught in swimming, in tennis, in running, in darts, in snooker/pool, in archery, in boxing, in choir, in speechmaking, in MMA, in aikido, in karate, in kendo, in didgeridoo, in recorder. With the possible exception of swimming and sprinting when you're really going full belt and there's no other option, you don't see any of these people's chests move excessively. Bear that in mind as we move on to your discussion of dantien breathing method...

I breath through my nose while my intention is placed at my lower abdomen and dan tien. The intention here leans on subtility and not tension.

There is hardly any chest movement. During strikes, breath is released from the pit of the stomach through the mouth (sometimes through the nose)...

When not striking one breaths naturally through the dan tien in a relaxed manner. The aim is to eventually breath that way all the time to make it NATURAL for real. Relaxed dan tien breathing also contributes to the higher level softness and sensitivity required in advanced training whereas a more tense manner of breathing inhibits hypersensitivity.
    OK, first, thank you very much for taking the time to explain your breathing process: I know it's difficult for anyone, and that English isn't your first language.

I agree with most things in your paragraph. The bits we do differently, or that I disagree with I've bolded and I'll look at now.

1) We tend to breathe in through the nose. We do not focus any 'intent' on our abdomen. From what I've been taught about intent, intent should be on striking your opponent, full stop. Your intent leads your strikes. If your intent is focused within yourself you do not have appropriate release of your power. There's nothing mystical about this: to me it's the same as Fedor saying he fights everyone as though they're personally trying to harm his family (except that maybe that's a bit nuts... which is maybe why I'm not an unbeatable world champion, but I digress!).

At higher levels of 'internal' method, and martial principles in general, some people say there should be no intent, but that's a different story.

2) 'Not tension' - sometimes, for some strike patterns, tension in the abdomen is a good thing.

3) 'Breath is released from the pit of the stomach': this is obviously a digression from anatomical/physiological fact, and straying into visualization. I think this is the main difference between your 'dantien breathing' and my 'abdominal breathing': you use visualization. The charlatan internal teachers I've met in the East and West who couldn't tell you or demonstrate exactly what they wanted you to do physically would always talk about chi or use some analogy, some visualization. The good ones would use the analogy once you'd got it to some degree, just as a teaching tool. It's like the truism that in the East, people don't talk about 'chi/ki' as anything mystical, or pseudo-physical like it can be manipulated. I'm not saying that you're talking ****, just pointing out a couple of differences in your way of thinking and mine.

The release of the breath is longer for more penetrative strikes and also emphasis is placed on the part of the abdomen/diaphram's expansion or contraction depending on the type of the blow delivered.
    I snipped this bit, because this is completely odd to me. The length of breath has no relation to the strike, though as you say, the contraction may do. It's not something I would ever focus on or say, this breath is for this strike, but it's something I would hope would come naturally after practice. And it seems a little at odds with your statement earlier that you don't use tension in your abdomen in any strikes.

Some styles of kung fu advocate the placement of the tongue on the ceiling of the mouth others don't. In my Wing Chun school we do both.
    LOL! My teacher taught us both, and said, 'Do what you like!'. Personally, I like that aspect of HK based attitudes.

Well, I said what I said because logically speaking for most people in the West who breath naturally through the chest it is the easy way out when compared to the more unusual way of breathing naturally through the Dan tien.
    Again, I think your idea of 'natural chest breathing' is largely a straw man.

While we are on the subject of the internals, it is worth mentioning that the training is multifaceted and involves other areas and levels and is not just about "deep breathing".
    Of course.

Also, I had not come across WC people who did not recognize the first part of Siu Lim Tao as on one level, a chi kung exercise.
    That depends on definitions, translation and the attitude of your teacher. I don't mean attitude like 'good' or 'bad', just that cultural attitudes affect training a lot too. HK teachers have a more relaxed attitude than some others I would say. I had a Malay WC acquaintance for a while too, who had a completely different attitude too. I say, somewhat nebulously, that some of SLT is for practising 'energies', so I'll say, 'Use this energy' or 'Use that energy', where other teachers may use a chi analogy. I can explain them all in terms of a fist hitting an opponent's body and explain them too though. And the intent is always externally projected: ie the focus is always on beating someone down (to put it crudely for effect).
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    So, you admit that some folks have professional qualifications in a given area but you still claim to know better?
    Unfortunately for them (and you), their "given area" is not KUNG FU!

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai
    You're a ****ing moron, you really are.
    Christ! I get goose pimples every time you talk to yourself in that manner.

Look, you are the way you are!

No need to advertise it to the whole World Wide Web. Accept it and live with it and I am sure that you will eventually find a life partner who will love you for it, because he will have the same qualities himself.
    Last edited by HardWork8; 10-14-2008 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Yes, I am doubting it.

Until I see video of it actually working in an 'alive' setting, I'll put as much faith in it as I do claims about UFOs, the Loch Ness Monster, or Bigfoot.
    Hey! Nessie's on video!

What's the difference between Nessie and WC videos?

Nessie looks real...

It's just a joke, kids!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Excellent posts, Chris. I'd love a copy of your presentation if you wouldn't mind. **** man, just write a book please: Martial Arts Physiology. I'll buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    You know, I felt kind of 'adventurous' when I moved to China (lots of Chinatowns there).
    You mean that there are actual Chinatowns in China? Wow!

The only decent groundwork (and by far the best grappling in general) I ran across was with the Shaanxi Provincal Wrestling Team.
    Are they the ones who dropped you on your head and are ultimately responsible for your hopeless mental condition?

If so, give them my regards if you are still in contact with them.

Of course that was just my subjective experience, but take it for what it's worth.
    What is relevant here in the KUNG FU Forum is your LACK of kung fu experience and not how many men you have rolled on the floor with and in what parts of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Excellent posts, Chris. I'd love a copy of your presentation if you wouldn't mind. **** man, just write a book please: Martial Arts Physiology. I'll buy it.
    Sorry Mr Punch, I know that you are fond of Chris, but I did not really see any "martial arts" in his most recent post.

Unfortunately for them (and you), their "given area" is not KUNG FU!

Don't you mean 'da realz' kungfu?

Going way back again...

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I would also recommend what HW8 suggested and actually 'ask' if the 'breathing naturally' comments are to be linked with 'Chi' at all, as I think most of them will agree that breathing naturally IS Chi training!
    I don't know about Chinese, but in Japanese 'ki' and 'breath' are not synonymous or interchangeable. 'Ki' training is different to breath training. And as for my gwailo fu teachers, I asked and they said, most definitely the breathing practice is separate from any concept of chi. Same with my Japanese Kobujutsu internals ex-teacher: he mentions ki occasionally but is loathe to do so and only when he's already explained and demonstrated... almost for when us foreigners want to hear about it. He does mention the tanden a little more often.

As far as I know, most of Ip Mans students would have been told not to worry about all this Chi business, as this tied Wing Chun to the other traditional arts at the time.
    Really? Chun's closest rival was CLF, which is also lacking in chi references and practice, no?

Ip Man made a decision to remove most(if not all) traditional learning from his early students, and I'm sure I've read somewhere that his teaching was documented in three stages.
    Interesting. If you can find that reference it'd be interesting to read. Not sure of its relevance to this subject though. Nor the following point. You could argue either way, right?

F
    WIW I also have to say that all the chatter about Dantien is irrelevant, especially if we're only talking of ONE dantien (below the navel) From my studies, three (of seven) dantiens are basically present and worked on first in most Martial Arts. Another analogy would be to link these practises to the three forms, especially since we first learn with our 'head' in SLT, but I don't want anyone to quote me on that one!

The dantien is best simply described as energetic fields EXACTLY the same as the Shakra, which also means that there are basically six in the body (head, chest, waist - front & back) and one point outside the body (above the head)
    Interesting again. The dantien below the navel appears to me to be the ONE that is focused on most and most universally in Eastern MA and esoteric practice, except for those practices that emphasize all of them working together. You say from your studies: is this from Lee Shing, or other sources? Is it from being taught in other disciplines?

Use of seven energy centres corresponds with Buddhism and Hinduism I think, but the Yogic chakras are not the same as the Chinese Buddhist centres. The Chinese Buddhist ones that use seven have them in a straight line up the middle of the body - the yogic ones aren't. And Chinese Taoist and Chan/zen uses only five if I'm right.

Also I don't know if it's different in Chinese, but only one is the 'tanden' in Japanese: the abdominal one. The others have different names. Even if it is different in Chinese, the Japanese got these traditions from China in the eighth century or before, and I would suggest it's quite likely that even if not now in China it was probably quite likely they had different names too.

The important part about the abdominal one is that it always seems to be used in tandem with the other waist one at the base of the spine. It's pretty much the same as when you focus on your abdominal breathing for a 1RM weightlifting squat.

If anyone has actually trained AND felt these 'connections', I'd like to hear from you!!
    To some extent. Too complicated to discuss online though, for a four-finger typist!

cjurakpt Guest
    Simple. One of the main points being argued before you blessed us with your "contribution" was the relevance of the internals to kung fu training, specifically COMBAT, which is the area that your Glorified Kickboxer friends had the most doubts about.
    certainly I am aware that the combat use of dantien breathing being discussed; however, you will notice that my original post on this thread was directly in reference to a general question posed by Mr. Punch, and also to address the descriptions of respiration posted by Punch and SoCo; so while it may not have addressed combat application specifically, it addressed fundamental concepts of this type of breathing and of breathing in general, which is not irrelevant, as they are the foundation upon which combat dantien breathing is based;
    also, CFT asked this question
    Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    cjurakpt, you've covered the bio-mechanical / physiological basis for lower dan tien breathing but can you expand on the "why"?
    Is it really more than getting more oxygen into the lungs/blood?
    I answered it; so, having established the contextual relevance of my posts, the content itself remains in quesion, which you addressed as follows:

To put it simply all you had to do is say that by breathing in the dantien (during specific chi kung training exercises) and perhaps with some suplimentary meditation the practioners gain a more relaxed mind, which helps to negate the adrenaline rush and also helps keep the movements very relaxed, a factor that is essential for the more internal kung fu strikes, not to mention for hyper "listening" abilities.
    ok; so that's how you would explain it; while it is pithy, it is also overly simplistic, lacking a great deal of specificity; for example, you still do not state what actually goes on when one is "breathing in the dantien" (whereas my post described two methods of doing that in detail) - yours mentions generating a "relaxed" mind and countering the adrenaline rush; some might believe that you are talking about "natural" / Buddhist version (belly expands when you inhale) however, the combat-based internalists I have worked with would recommend just the opposite, the "reverse" / Taoist breathing (belly "contracts") in order to accomplish this; so which one are you advocating?

[By breathing in a normal manner through the dantien, one can turn his whole kung fu training session into a general chi kung class as well. And of course there are the specific /chi kung exercises that relate to what one needs to achieve.]
    yes and no; as you imply, qigong is very specific - as such, "combat" based qigong will generate very different results from "health based" or even "general" qigong; doing one type will not typically spill over into the sort of results you get from another type, although the way you "cool down" following different types can be the same;

As far as power issuing is concerned. Breathing out through the dantien while expanding the kindney and lower stomach area will creat penetrative power during striking. Of course the striking should be very relaxed not using shoulder power while putting the intention on the elbow and the hand. Of course, this takes a lot of practice.
    so here you seem to be talking about "reverse" breathing, since the (relative)"expansion of the lower abdominal area occurs during exhalation / power issuance; on the one hand, I would agree; on the other hand sometime inhaling during issuing power is called for - it just produces a different effect (e.g. - the type of "jing" that you issue will be in accordance to the type of attack)

It is a difficult concept to explain, but perhaps you should get a good sifu to teach you because there is only so much that I can teach you sitting behind my computer screen.
    is this an attempt at sarcasm / belittling in order to generate some sort of emotional response on my part? are you suggesting that a) I don't actually understand dantien breathing / qigong or that b) my sifu is "no good"? that's a pretty odd thing to say, considering you don't know anything really about my training / his instruction; again, this seems typical of your ad hominum attack m/o, which for some strange reason you can't seem to forgo even during an attempt at a reasoned discussion about technique; anyway, please don't be concerned about "teaching" me anything - from the way you discuss internal / qigong, it is readily apparent that your level of experiential understanding is far less than mine, there is really nothing at all that you have to offer me in this area;

Another relevance of dantien breathing to the kung fu approach to combat is in the way it helps the rootedness/stance work. This is essential for those who practise real kung fu as opposed to pseudo kung fu. Rootedness/stance in kung fu is essential to the issuing of maximum power during strikes.
    Chuang Tzu's statement "the men of old breathed clear down to their heels"; do you have personal experience of what it feels like to breathe through the soles of your feet? this is true root ("gan"), because it also allows one to maintain lightness ("hing) in the upper torso, which is necessary for proper power issuance

Dantien breathing is also used for the various Iron Body gungs and Iron Palm exercises.
    again, what sort? typically it's the "reverse" stuff, although you also do the "natural" for cooling down

Christ, now I have to start ducking again, just when I finally got to sit comfortably.
    again with the sarcasm / derision; is this a reactive habit on your part? why do you have such difficulty remaining civil during a reasoned discussion?

Hey, worry about irritating your clients. Don't worry about me.
    I don't worry about you at all; as for my clients, they typically appear satisfied with my explanations and are able to put them to pragmatic use, so I fail to see why I should be worried about irritating them?

Unfortunately, your content (as "good" as it was), was irrelevant to the direction of the thread.
    maybe in the land of "just 'cause HW8 says so", LOL - get real - so far, this thread has gone off in numerous directions including 1) assessment of the initial video posted; 2) discussion of "dantien" breathing as relates to combat (my posts being relevant here, as they speak to fundamental issues concerning breathing in general); 3) some sort of quasi religious / racial sub-plot w/Ali and unkokusai; 4) the usual exchange of plesantries between you and unkokusai

Haven't you noticed that people here are interested in fighting,fighting,combat,combat aspects of anything and everything?
    yes; and again, my posts were in response to basic questions on breathing asked by Mr. Punch and CFT;

And you keep demonstrating how you missed the whole point of this thread.
    again, I would argue that you have no basis for that statement, given the wide range of topics discussed and for reasons I mentioned earlier;

Christ! I get goose pimples every time you talk to yourself in that manner.

Look, you are the way you are!

No need to advertise it to the whole World Wide Web. Accept it and live with it and I am sure that you will eventually find a life partner who will love you for it, because he will have the same qualities himself.

Funnier and funnier every... time.... *yawn*

Sorry Mr Punch, I know that you are fond of Chris, but I did not really see any "martial arts" in his most recent post.
    Fond of?! LOL My dog never actually wrote so clearly! He writes well. If you don't see any value in his descriptions I think it's your loss, and I don't really see why you see it as at odds with your beliefs: it seems like you're letting your arguments on other things with him colour your judgment. On top of that, I don't really see the need for your comment. It's obvious that you and I disagree with a lot, though we agree on some things too.

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    ...however, you will notice that my original post on this thread was directly in reference to a general question posed by Mr. Punch
    Actually, that was a question specifically to HW8 so butt the **** out, PT boy! WTF do you know anyway?

Right, you ****er, by the pond in that park, week on Saturday, I'll show you da realz wing chun and we can put this baby to rest!

And flattery wont get you anywhere!
    Apparently video proof doesn't either.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    The clip you put up takes ages! Is it like this one? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8YHIBibqhpk
    Yip Man movie should be an interesting watch. Sanjuro posted it before as well and referred to it as "Real Wing Chun".....LOL! Lets not tell him that movie kung fu fighting and real real kung fu fighting are different.

By the way here is another movie link that seems interesting.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4q0XjI...eature=related

It is another Bruce Lee biography movie that seems to have some interesting fight scenes. It seems to show some Wing Chun elements (of course with movie choreography, so it is not real wing chun, Sanjuro )

It also seems to have some JKD elements like Bruce Lee hopping on his toes like boxer, which should be of special interest to the Glorified Kickboxing Fraternity. Talk about wide appeal.

Have you or anyone else seen this movie?

By the way, I am sorry if someone else has posted it before.

You mean that there are actual Chinatowns in China? Wow!
    You didn't notice while you were there?

What is relevant here in the KUNG FU Forum is your LACK of kung fu experience and not how many men you have rolled on the floor with and in what parts of the world.

You don't have to keep repeating your ignorance, everyone is aware of it by now.

I guess like so many others, my experience with kungfu just wasn't 'da realz' according to the great master of two years.