Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Interactions, the key to individual expression

Wing Chun Interactions, the key to individual expression

http://youtu.be/fdoLRkMEbDQ

Now I can't say that I am a fan of Shaun Obasi, I don't know much about him or the MMA World he comes from, but I do hold a little respect for students of Wing Chun that actually put themselves out to meet, exchange and learn from others outside their lineage so hat's off to him for that.

In his latest compilation clip he shows highlights of some (if not all?) his public and private clips that show the 'interactive character' of quite a wide variety of teachers and peers. Albeit, he doesn't seem to have researched my own lineage I find it a great snapshot of where some lineages are at today and it is quite easy to pick out their individualty from these short clips. Personally I would prefer to meet someone who had elements of all the personalities here!!! And I thought it may lead to a neat discussion...

So, in a nutshell, do you think that our interactive platform allows for personal expression? Or are we all supposed to be only following one way? If so, which way do you find the better example from this compilation and why?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

So, in a nutshell, do you think that our interactive platform allows for personal expression? Or are we all supposed to be only following one way? If so, which way do you find the better example from this compilation and why?

Ofcourse it does, look at Bayer and Botzebe, different approach but both very effective.

And the girl at the end wasnt bad either

It was an arm wrestling compilation until it got to Bayer, then went to a slap fest at the end. Basically, Bayer showed him how it's not a game of feely arms like the rest of them do.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    It was an arm wrestling compilation until it got to Bayer, then went to a slap fest at the end. Basically, Bayer showed him how it's not a game of feely arms like the rest of them do.
    I think botzepe looked far from shabby

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    I think botzepe looked far from shabby
    Well, most of that was him showing and explaining things. Obasi didn't really do much but offer his arms.

Agree with LFJ, most of these were very poor with Bayer being the only exception. Don't understand the point of most of what these people are doing.

Pb excellently play with momentum and open up lines in in the inner gate play. Which makes a big difference in skill . Chisau is for momentum and lines open play but it evolves into a different things these days.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Ray View Post
    In Wslpbvt chi sao is a learning environment.....In other lineages it seems to be an ego driven pi$$ing contest.

You can see with Philipp, Shawn is being taught and helped.
    With the others its the usual two handed arm wrestling proving ground
    Crazy to see some of the guys were actually concerned with "winning" chi sau vs shawn obassi

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Crazy to see some of the guys were actually concerned with "winning" chi sau vs shawn obassi
    Crazy to see how many people on this forum are actually concerned with who looked like they were winning against obassi.

One doesn't have much to teach if one doesn't know the game of momentum , force changes, and inner line game, those are the core of Wck chi sau, instead of the common seen arm wrestling game. Especially Vesus a bigger or stronger physical or athletic person.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Crazy to see how many people on this forum are actually concerned with who looked like they were winning against obassi.
    I agree, the forum would be great if nobody replied to threads with their opinions. Oh wait..

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post

Now I can't say that I am a fan of Shaun Obasi, I don't know much about him or the MMA World he comes from, but I do hold a little respect for students of Wing Chun that actually put themselves out to meet, exchange and learn from others outside their lineage so hat's off to him for that.

In his latest compilation clip he shows highlights of some (if not all?) his public and private clips that show the 'interactive character' of quite a wide variety of teachers and peers. Albeit, he doesn't seem to have researched my own lineage I find it a great snapshot of where some lineages are at today and it is quite easy to pick out their individualty from these short clips. Personally I would prefer to meet someone who had elements of all the personalities here!!! And I thought it may lead to a neat discussion...

The only example I see here is that WC people spend way too much time doing something (chi sao) that has very little to do with unarmed combat.

Hope it's not a diversion

Using the now common guideline-10,ooo hours on mastering a complex skill
    any ideas on WSL or his best students on their traing times?

Ho Kam Ming= with IP Man-intense period-all day- 7 years all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Using the now common guideline-10,ooo hours on mastering a complex skill
    any ideas on WSL or his best students on their traing times?

Ho Kam Ming= with IP Man-intense period-all day- 7 years all day.
    Oh hear we go with another one. 7 years all day long and you believe that do you?

It is funny how people use everything but actual performance of the skill itself to support why someone is skillful. Some have the best idea, some spent the most time with their instructor, some think they have the right DNA, what's next?

wing Chun Interactions , the key to individual expresssion

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post

LoneTiger108 , I agree with you on your topic , it 's true , if you learn from the sifus who learned from Ip Man themselves and their disciples , you have the chances of learning something different from what each sifu under Ip Man himself has to offer , so it ' s good . It ' s good to learn different ideas from different sifus under Ip Man and use it to your advantages . If you stick to just one sifu or disciple you ' ll only learn one way of doing WC , but if you learn from all of Ip Mans' sifus and disciples then you ' re open up to learning different ways or ideas of doing WC .

On the other hand if you don ' t meet anybody who trained with all of Ip Mans' sifus or disciples , then maybe you ' ll have to learn and train under all of Ip Mans' Sifu or disciples yourself . So maybe you should do it already . Well , its only through experiences and training you can really upgrade your own training in Wc right ? You just need to really invest the money .