Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun in a Phone Booth

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    The reality is, Hung-Ga... it was originally a short bridge system that added longer bridging to it. Tan, bong, fook, pak, gan, kwun, yjkym, short shifting, inch power, elbows, sticking, trapping, lin sil die da, etc., have always been in the system. Look at the snake and crane techniques and one would think they are much more similar than different.
    Quite an interesting claim about the seed of WCK being in HG, but as a practitioner yourself can you confirm that Hung Gar actually use the 'terms'? (Tan, bong, fook, pak, gan, kwun, yjkym etc)

I'd rather not comment about the 'phone booth' stuff, besides it's called a phone box in the UK!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I'd rather not comment about the 'phone booth' stuff, besides it's called a phone box in the UK!
    All you Brits and Aussies on this forum need some basic education here to understand proper terminology.

Please review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDcdkbrAA3U

Thank you.

in a bathroom stall ( crappy situation but there you have it)
    Pun intended?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Quite an interesting claim about the seed of WCK being in HG, but as a practitioner yourself can you confirm that Hung Gar actually use the 'terms'? (Tan, bong, fook, pak, gan, kwun, yjkym etc)

we use different terms, usually more older descriptives, such as gang-sao, or mai yun jiew gang for tan, etc. But we also use terms such as bong, yjkym.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    All you Brits and Aussies on this forum need some basic education here to understand proper terminology.

Please review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDcdkbrAA3U

Thank you.
    Great, english lessons from a yank!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    The elbow is not as powerful as you might think,
    Old Chinese saying said, "宁挨十拳不挨一肘 - I prefer to be hit 10 times by punches than to be hit once by elbow." There is a good reason that elbow is still not allowed in the San Shou and San Da ring even the knee is already allowed.

When your opponent is on the ground, an elbow strike on his "heart area" can finish that fight.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-02-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Elbow is useless? Where do u get this crap really? The elbow and the knee are probably two of the most powerful techniques u have in clinch/close range fighting. Sometimes i wonder if u have ever actually done any MA's. Yes its limited in range but thats not what its intent is for. You compare it to a short stick. I compare it like being hit with a hammer.

What you describe as close range techniques is what I refer to as dire emergency. In a clinch where you can not use a punch or kick, the knee or elbow can be useful. It is not powerful or practical enough to fight with otherwise. It is like taking a pocket knife to a sword fight. Really, it is not a decent weapon in a fight other than what I described. Whan I was young, I could role off an elbow and not even feel the blow. If you knee someone in the face it will certainly hurt, and it might even knock you out, but it is longer and has more muscle power behind it. The elbow is not nearly so. However, just coming in and trying to knee someone outside a clinch you are going to eat some fist.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Old Chinese saying said, "宁挨十拳不挨一肘 - I prefer to be hit 10 times by punches than to be hit once by elbow." There is a good reason that elbow is still not allowed in the San Shou and San Da ring even the knee is already allowed.

When your opponent is on the ground, an elbow strike on his "heart area" can finish that fight.
    Well, I am an old Chinaman and I would never say that. Everyone seems to be trying to justify the elbow as a prime fighting weapon when it really isn't. Pick you a fight with someone and try fighting with your elbows, then tell me how effective it is.
    Jackie Lee

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    we use different terms, usually more older descriptives, such as gang-sao, or mai yun jiew gang for tan, etc. But we also use terms such as bong, yjkym.
    Thanks for answering dude. I find HGK one of the most fascinating systems and have heard about their 'lost' short bridge style. Personally, always been of the opinion that Wing Chun has a few things to say about that

The thing many people seem to misunderstand is that Wing Chun itself is in fact a slang language that must have had older roots and HGK is one of the more 'written' styles imho preserving some of the oldest Martial language we have today.

In this sense, Wing Chun has always been 'modern'.

Much better convo than phone boxes and elbows lol!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

this thread is right up there for awards of most clueless quotes in a single thread.
    Starting with analogy of the phonebox as a concept of fighting in a confined area being taken literally as a phone box and from then on,
    Fighting three people in phone box - lol, how big is the phone box?
    Elbows lack power - lol, step into a ring with an MT fighter and see if you change your mind.
    The idea of a boxer throwing hooks in a phone box - if you've done boxing you'd know that you need to move your body to throw a decent hook and aside from the mamoth, three person holding booth above you'd be banging your head / opposite shoulder on the wall of the booth and your elbow on the other one. The fact that he could simply throw uppercuts, jabs and crosses seems to have escaped attention.

Loving it, haven't laughed so much in ages....
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

If a guy took too long on the phone call and it was in a booth, I'd do this ! Get off the phone !

Now thats a Thai elbow !!!

for BJJ ground and pound in a booth !!
    Last edited by k gledhill; 02-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    this thread is right up there for awards of most clueless quotes in a single thread.
    Starting with analogy of the phonebox as a concept of fighting in a confined area being taken literally as a phone box and from then on,
    Fighting three people in phone box - lol, how big is the phone box?
    Elbows lack power - lol, step into a ring with an MT fighter and see if you change your mind.
    The idea of a boxer throwing hooks in a phone box - if you've done boxing you'd know that you need to move your body to throw a decent hook and aside from the mamoth, three person holding booth above you'd be banging your head / opposite shoulder on the wall of the booth and your elbow on the other one. The fact that he could simply throw uppercuts, jabs and crosses seems to have escaped attention.

Loving it, haven't laughed so much in ages....
    This thread IS the WC forum, lol !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

get off the PHONE !!! CLIP

Even the 'Greatest' had a phone booth moment....now theres a worthy Phone booth opponent
    try telling him to hurry up...
    Last edited by k gledhill; 02-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.