Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gene's coverage of the CA Sanshou/San Da situation

Gene's coverage of the CA Sanshou/San Da situation

I moved a lot of threads off our Tiger Claw’s KungFuMagazine.com Championship & Shark City Nationals to this one because that was getting distracting. It makes for a slightly uneven archival read now, but if tangential threads bother you, wtf are you doing reading a web forum.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

San shou is illegal in san jose? I think someone forgot to tell cung le
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Cung knows - beleive me, we've talked about it.

It's not illegal to practice sanshou. It's illegal to hold sanshou competitions. The California State Athletic Commission banned both professional and amateur sanshou and muay thai kickboxing events. Muay thai has regained approval, but sanshou is still banned. I discuss this in our new issue, the March April 2009, which just hit the newsstands.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It's kinda goofy that sanshou and muay thai aren't legal yet they have mma fights, what's up with that? Is there some politic involved here
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    It's kinda goofy that sanshou and muay thai aren't legal yet they have mma fights, what's up with that? Is there some politic involved here
    Naaaahhhhh, not CA. That bastion of leftist liberal feel good laws that don't makes sense. Surely you jest.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    Well something is fishy for sure.

Muay Thai *is* legal again now

They rallied and were legalized. The article I mentioned above is about Female Fury, which was a Muay Thai match. I don't see any movement from the Sanshou circles here to get the ban lifted. It would take some legal fees to put up that fight and nobody has the cash. It's a shame really.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Right you are about there needing to be some legal money behind the push if Sanshou folks wanted to get legal. Seeing as how there have been several names who took the approach that if they couldn't run Sanshou they would "run it" into the ground, there is really no one who is recognized as a leader there that would be willing or able to put up such funds. (Cung Le is a pro now and not a Sanshou person per se any longer).

More and more states are doing this. In Texas, it is not exactly illegal but it does require folks to be properly licensed. Here, it is more a matter of separating the fighters and promoter from fees instead of the public safety idea. In California, they have always paid just a bit more than lip service to that old public safety idea....it is not JUST about the money.

However, if point sparring is allowed, continuous sparring with light contact would probably be legal as well. Of course, the contact aspect has to be downplayed...but if anyone reading this has ever competed in point sparring and NEVER had contact, give that man a CEEGAR...

The distinction between those who get hit and those who do not is widening.... and you got to wonder how much of a hand the Boxing folks wanting to protect their rice bowl had to do with this.

Cung was the only one really throwing sanshou events around here

Cung's 2007 Art of War went sour with the USAWKF Team trial situation. He spoke about in our 2008 July/August cover story Cung Le Brings Sanshou into the Cage. Given how the sanshou went for America in 2008, well, hopefully you all read Beijing in their own words: American Athletes Reflect on the Wushu Tournament Beijing By Elly Duchamp in our 2009 January/February Shaolin Special.

BTW, our latest issue, the 2009 March/April Wudang Special, is on the newsstands. I have two articles that grapple with the state of sanshou in this issue: Female Fury, which was mentioned above, and Art of War VII, which is about the US Open International Martial Arts Championship XII. I also have an article about the state of kickboxing in China titled Wulin Feng: USA Versus China. I'm working on another addressing that topic right now for our next issue, and have two pieces on sanshou in there already. That issue will drop on 4/7/2009, so stay tuned.

Meanwhile, who's coming to our tournament?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene's coverage of the CA Sanshou/San Da situation

Gene wrote a very nice piece about the situation with Sanshou/San Da with a female perspective in the newest issue (GO OUT AND BUY IT!)

He raises an interesting point at the beginnning, ie that CA banned BOTh sanshou/sanda AND muay thai yet the Thai community fought and got it leagalized again while the sanshou folks just packed it up, depressing
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

That is typical. You have to have some folks there that are interested in the sport or art and not just being the leader and their own rice bowl.

Thanks lkfmdc, I do appreciate that from you

We're struggling to keep Sanshou going here in America, but the legal/political situation in CA was a heavy blow. It's what I was talking about in our Tiger Claw’s KungFuMagazine.com Championship & Shark City Nationals thread.

And for those of you who want to know which issue we're talking about, it's this one: March/April 2009 Wudang Special. I may merge this thread with that someday.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Back OT for just a moment...

I'm using lkfmdc's Gene's coverage of the CA Sanshou/San Da situation thread to ttt this one. We can take up discussion of the state of sanshou in the state of CA there.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

May I ask why the decision was taken to ban SanShou in Ca? Forgive me for not being able to buy the magazine - life here in the Black Forest affords little in the way of English reading material, let alone English Kung Fu reading material.

Seems a strange decision.

Apparently, according to a conversation I had with the former head (Garcia?) of the commission, there is a law on the books RE kickboxing dating back to the PKA/American kb period that says you can not throw in a kickboxing match.

When I spoke to Garcia, well over a year ago, he said they wanted to change the law so they could do both San Shou/San Da and Muay Thai. Now, thanks to Gene, we know that Thai is back... so what happened with San Da?

Gene, write more on this, then surely we will buy the magazine to read more
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....