Page 97 of 102 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 1522

Thread: Chan Tai San stories

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    yes! yes! he's bald! he's bald!

(and you should see Taai Gihk Yahn )
    I recommend sunglasses due to the glare...

Chris mentioned the thread, so back to the top with it!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    kinda like saying,"Beetlejuice" three times?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

chan tai san chan tai san chan tai san

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Thumbs up

Good Job bringing this thread back to the top Dave. I recommend it to anyone and everyone. There is a lot of good stuff here!

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    kinda like saying,"Beetlejuice" three times?
    chan tai san chan tai san chan tai san
    woke up this morning, there was a grouchy octagenarian Toisanese sitting in my kitchen smoking a cigarette and eating KFC...

thanks guys...

Out of curiosity guys, how much do you miss your teacher?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    to say he was an essential part of my life and like a parent would be an understatement. The really sad part about getting old is that you lose people like this, never to see them again. For all the conflicted things that happened, he was still my teacher for two decades

to say he was an essential part of my life and like a parent would be an understatement. The really sad part about getting old is that you lose people like this, never to see them again. For all the conflicted things that happened, he was still my teacher for two decades
    Yeah, I thought so.
    Lost one of my teachers last week.
    Death, the great equalizer...

I have two main teachers, both have passed away, when I think about that, it makes me feel very lonely

I have two main teachers, both have passed away, when I think about that, it makes me feel very lonely
    I hear you old timer...

Pick up the torch brothers, pick up the torch.

Eccentricities are part of the gig, cultivate some to keep those young fellas off balance...LOL!

I wish I could tell the stories about my Sifu, but unfortunately, he's only 5 years older than I am, and I'll have to wait until he's gone to do so. I suspect he may outlive me anyway...

My old Sifu, who passed away in '89, was old school. Following a particularly financially unsuccessful tournament, the association was sitting doing the wrap up. He cam in late and during the discussion was just digging at his nose, not saying a word. I mean, he was harvesting, not just poking around. And full-on, not discretely. Building one massive snot ball on his finger.

Then, when all the younger sifu's finished rationalising what they had done wrong and spent all the association money, he wiped the massive boogie right on the middle of the table, stood up, said something ****ty to them all in Canto (probably along the lines of, "you bunch of F**kwits") and walked out.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I wouldn't say that I miss him per se, since I hadn't studied with him since '93 and wasn't as close to him as Dave and some of the other seniors were, but what I do find is that I appreciate him and what I learned from him more and more as I progress in my current practice - for example, I recently realized that the hand movements of the "standard" opening to a number of his forms I learned from CTS correlates almost exactly to the hand movements of the Six Healing Sounds Qigong I practice, except that the order is based on the Five Element Control / Destruction cycle sequence - which, for fighting, kinda makes sense; I mean, how cool is that?

anyway, it was certainly one of those "adventure of a lifetime" things w/him...

I wouldn't say that I miss him per se, since I hadn't studied with him since '93 and wasn't as close to him as Dave and some of the other seniors were, but what I do find is that I appreciate him and what I learned from him more and more as I progress in my current practice - for example, I recently realized that the hand movements of the "standard" opening to a number of his forms I learned from CTS correlates almost exactly to the hand movements of the Six Healing Sounds Qigong I practice, except that the order is based on the Five Element Control / Destruction cycle sequence - which, for fighting, kinda makes sense; I mean, how cool is that?

anyway, it was certainly one of those "adventure of a lifetime" things w/him...
    The info contained in the thread is very interesting and a testament to what genuine kung fu can do in the right hands.

I have not read the whole thread yet so apologies if this question has been answered already, but I would like to know what was CTS's opinion of traditional Japanese/Okinawan karate.

He sounds like a man who would have given you his opinion on this subject if he had one, so I hope to be informed of his (genuine kung fu master) perspective.

HW108

I moved this over here from another thread, because it seemed relevant

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    I studied with Chan Tai Shan when he first came to the USA (1984? 1985?) until I moved to Los Angeles in 1988. He taught us Dai Lo Han Kuen, and a few other fancy sets, then went a while to Canada and came back. As for me, these days I just keep the minimum of Chan's teachings - I barely remember his plethora of sets, although I recorded them in notes. Fu Hoc Cern Doe, Siu Lo Han and Dai Lo Han, I remember the most. Chan Sifu, IMO, made stuff up on the spot. I would think he customized his CLF and combination Lama/Bak Hoc/Hop Ga to the student...not really having set forms. He basically had themes of Chuen, Pao, Kup and the Lama seeds. After I understood, basically, you made permutations and combinations, or matrices with these movements. From there, all the forms dissolved. The same was with his Ba Gua pole and Ba Gua spear.

To Chan Sifu, Ging was Gung Fu and Gung Fu was Ging.

He was also quite a country bumpkin...but loveably ignorant and funny! His butchering of Cantonese and his native Hoisan dialect often left me confused...at times we were ducks and chickens talking.

If your Si Hing wants to get together, just give him my contact info. I'm in LA Chinatown Fridays at my school from 7 - 9 pm.
    CTS certainly didn't treat forms with the semi-religous obsession a lot of TCMA people did, and we all noted that different people got different versions

But when you learn about Lion's Roar history, you learn the forms were never part of the tradition in the way they were perhaps for other lineages. IE in Lama Pai and related arts each "form" was associated with certain concepts, technique strings, strategies etc... the "exact sequence" wasn't really the point as much as the core knowledge

That being said, I can tell you that on several occassions, months, often YEARS later CTS corrected sets he taught us. Steve Ventura even "tested" CTS by messing up a sequence on purpose once to see what would happen

Inevitably though, and back to my point, when he would correct and remember were key sequences... essential concepts, not necessarilly every movement of the entire set