Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska to Consider Lowering Drinking Age for U.S. Troops

Alaska to Consider Lowering Drinking Age for U.S. Troops

"Defense Secretary Robert Gates doesn't support lowering the drinking age for U.S. troops, but that hasn't deterred one Alaska lawmaker from renewing the debate over whether military members old enough to fight and die for their country are responsible enough to drink and smoke.

The argument dates back decades to the Vietnam War, and now Alaska state Republican Rep. Bob Lynn is proposing a bill that would allow military members in his state under 21 to legally drink and smoke there. Alaska residents can't legally drinking until they're 21 and legally smoke until they're 19.

Lynn has been careful to note that neither he nor his bill promotes drinking or smoking as a habit. But, he says, the bill would "enable all active duty warriors in our U.S. Armed Forces to be treated as adults, regardless of age."

"It's outrageous that a member of our military can be subjected to the horrors of war but can't legally have a beer or smoke a cigarette," Lynn wrote in his blog Monday. "Any soldier who braves military combat and risks their life for our country should be treated like an adult -- in every sense of the word.""

Full article:
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...ng-age-troops/

Alternately, you could make them Canadians, then they can smoke at 16 and drink at 18 in most provinces, 19 in the big cities.

Yeah, we like to get high. Our high is made of Canada!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

They tried it in Arizona. It was a nightmare. ESPECIALLY given the attempts by the Army to deglamorize alcohol. It is begging for DUIs, which, in the military, is career suicide.

We had a LOT of kids get into trouble because of that law.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    They tried it in Arizona. It was a nightmare. ESPECIALLY given the attempts by the Army to deglamorize alcohol. It is begging for DUIs, which, in the military, is career suicide.

weird... wonder why i, and everyone i know, could handle it at 16 and 18 but an american soldier, let alone the average guy, cant do it in arizona?

i dont think we're more mature or anything... so it must be conditioning... im pretty sure that the age was much much lower for our parents too...

if we can do it, you can do it... just stand infront of the mirror and repeat "im smart, goodlooking, and gosh darnit people really do like me!!!" repeat until courage spills outta ya...

then pour the courage back in...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    weird... wonder why i, and everyone i know, could handle it at 16 and 18 but an american soldier, let alone the average guy, cant do it in arizona?

i dont think we're more mature or anything... so it must be conditioning... im pretty sure that the age was much much lower for our parents too...

if we can do it, you can do it... just stand infront of the mirror and repeat "im smart, goodlooking, and gosh darnit people really do like me!!!" repeat until courage spills outta ya...
    For many of them, it's their first time away from home, no supervision, and a bunch of other guys around the same age. It's always been a recipe for disaster in the military. I've seen a LOT of careers ruined because of alcohol.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

peer pressure is a b!tch, aye!!!

i think they should either lower the drinking age or raise the enrollment age... but dont make it automatic, phase it in somehow... make it only apply to a group born after a certain date, that way there isnt an automatic mass of new drinkers all at once...

too much emphasis is put on alcohol in general. no one needs alcohol to unwind or have a good time, if you do, then you have some issues. id rather just go get some tail, and be sober for it...although we are talking about alaska...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Definitely change the enrollment age to 21 and make all politicians serve a mandatory six years in the service before they are allowed to pursue careers in decision making, like in the "old days".

word. if my polotician cant do 100 push ups i wont vote for him. no weaklings allowed
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    peer pressure is a b!tch, aye!!!

i think they should either lower the drinking age or raise the enrollment age... but dont make it automatic, phase it in somehow... make it only apply to a group born after a certain date, that way there isnt an automatic mass of new drinkers all at once...
    They don't have to do anything. We just tell the troops that the law doesn't apply to them. Nothing anybody can do about that.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Alternately, you could make them Canadians, then they can smoke at 16 and drink at 18 in most provinces, 19 in the big cities.
    How does having a different age in different parts of the country work? Is it by county (or the Canadian equivalent of a county), or city or what?

We still have some 'dry counties' left here. It's a county where alcohol is banned completely. Of course along the county borders, liquor stores thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post

So it keeps the irresponsible ones from moving up. Whats wrong with that?

The way I look at it, if you're mature enough at 18ish to be responsible, you're the type I'd like to see move up in the military that protects my freedoms.

LOL. The military will certainly oppose this bill.

On another note, what makes these guys so special? You can't single out one group of citizens for special priveledges just because of their job.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

BJJ, this is my lane. We've got this. You don't understand this dynamic, and ypur approach is flawed on multiple levels.

That irresponsible PVT you keep out of trouble now by curtailing his "hobbies" will be that responsible NCO later. And he'll remember that you kept him out of trouble.

Don't try to solve problems you don't have the expertise or leadership experience to solve. Just because a PVT is irresponsible, doesn't mean he won't mature as he develops. Letting him get a DUI as a means of "thinning the herd" is widely considered dereliction of duty on part of the leader.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Drake, I just gave my opinion. I did not claim to be an expert.

And if you and MK are right and the military opposes it, I'd be fine with not changing the law. I like to let those with expertise in the area in question make the decisions. I just put my .02 cents in, but again I did not claim to be an expert, etc.