Thread: Best kungfu combinations?

Best kungfu combinations?

Hello,

Which Kungfu/ martial arts Systems combined together will form the ultimate self defense art?

thank you very much for the information.

kind regards,

kungfucasting

IMO:

Any solid stand up art that has a proven training program. Judo/shuai jiao. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

I think if you combined these things you get a very well rounded martial artist.

OR

Sambo

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Paint the target, call in the strike, watch the show.

Blog Entries
    The "praying mantis system + SC, Judo, or wrestling" can be the best combination. The PM system Gou, Lu, Cai, Gua can build a nice bridge betwen the striking art and the grappling art. If you can use your fast PM combo to confuse your opponent, you can set up for your throw nicely.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The "praying mantis system + SC, Judo, or wrestling" can be the best combination. The PM system Gou, Lu, Cai, Gua can build a nice bridge betwen the striking art and the grappling art. If you can use your fast PM combo to confuse your opponent, you can set up for your throw nicely.
    what he said.

It matters not what style(s) you use sir, it matters how you use it. Pick a style, any style and you are sure to find effective self defense within, you must look deep!
    "He who say's does not know, he who knows does not say"

"True Gong Fu is practicing in the coldest days of winter and the dog days of summer"

"Don't try, do"

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    you can't point a finger and say these two are the "ultimate" you have to have a versed base in multiples that deal in all spectrums. "systems" are what is wrong with MA's. labeling and putting things into a capsulated bunch are what hinders. Honestly I have yet to find a system that deals with all area's of fighting, traditionally speaking. Even putting 2 different systems of thought into play still does not deal in all fronts as a versed "ultimate".
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I think boxing and wrestling is a good combination. Any striking art with any stand up grappling art would be good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    I think boxing and wrestling is a good combination. Any striking art with any stand up grappling art would be good.
    You can throw punches at your opponent's head then suddently drop down and shoot at his leg/legs. But there are something missing in between. After your punching and before your shooting, you need to guide your opponent's arms to a temporary place so it won't give you any problem when you move in. This kind of "arm guiding" principle is quite foreign for boxers. Not only because the gloves but also the mind set. All TCMA guys are familiar with "arm guilding".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-20-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Integration

Even more importantly than which systems to choose is the idea that the chosen systems should flow together well.

There was an article in Black Belt magazine a few years ago concerning the modern combatives program of the Army. The creator of the "system," Matt Larsen, researched numerous arts and decided on two, Muay Thai and BJJ, to serve as the foundation. However, the main idea of the article was that regardless of the styles to combine there needs to be an integration/cohesion of the arts. Furthermore, the empty hand skills need to be effectively integrated into a weapons-based format for an individual as well as a military unit. Obviously non-military individuals need not concern themselves with the "team" aspect, but the idea of integration still applies.

You can throw punches at your opponent's head then suddently drop down and shoot at his leg/legs. But there are something missing in between. After your punching and before your shooting, you need to guide your opponent's arms to a temporary place so it won't give you any problem when you move in. This kind of "arm guiding" principle is quite foreign for boxers. Not only because the gloves but also the mind set. All TCMA guys are familiar with "arm guilding".
    HI John,
    SPM and Pak Mei have a lot of the same trapping and middle game techniques, and I agree. Bridging styles and grappling are better than just striking and grappling.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

It has been hard for me to make trapping work well during sparring. You can't guid someone's arm when he keeps pulling it back to punch you in the face.

Blog Entries
    It has been hard for me to make trapping work well during sparring. You can't guid someone's arm when he keeps pulling it back to punch you in the face.
    In order to do that, we will need to turn a striking game into a grappling game ASAP. I don't believe there is such thing as "anti-grappling". I do believe that "anti-striking" can be done.

If we watch any boxing fight, the time that referee separated both fighters because the clinching just happened. Even in a pure striking sport such as boxing, fighters may get into clinching without even trying hard. If we try hard, the chance to get into clinching will be much higher.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-20-2013 at 07:30 PM.

trapping isn't done from striking range, its done in clinching range. Doing the wrong thing at the wrong time will always turn out wrong.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia