Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: when you started wing chun

when you started wing chun

For those of you who had previous martial arts experience, when you started learning wing chun what parts of the system did you find yourself to have the most trouble learning or adapting to? For me coming from other styles such as karate and taekwondo I had a lot of trouble at first with the fighting stance footwork for the advancing steps. Also it was difficult getting used to the punching without turning my hips to generate the power.

Blog Entries
    The northern style is open and the souther style is close. When you have both arms at the same length, you won't have the maximum reach. When you have the maximum reach, you will have to fight with one long arm and one short arm.

It's impossible to have both at the same time. My UT class started with the 1st hour WC and the 2nd hour longfist. After 2 months, the students were so confused and I had to stop the WC session.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-06-2011 at 02:46 PM.

I did a little Karate and some Hung gar before I learned Wing Chun, but for me I found it the easiest to learn because it made a lot of sense to me. After a friend showed me pak sao I knew Wing Chun was the only system I wanted to learn.
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

I guess I was real lucky. I had never been exposed to any form of organized fighting before I started Wing Chun. I was 10 years old. A few slap fights with my sisters and cousins, or maybe the kids down the road. But nothing serious. I found it to be the most natural think I ever done. I have to admit that the punch was awkward to some degree, but once it was practiced a little it was like the rest.
    Jackie Lee

yeah I agree it was awkward but the constant drills in wing chun ends up engraving the movements into your brain even if you dont realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    Also it was difficult getting used to the punching without turning my hips to generate the power.
    So you obviously have no clue about Chum Kiu!

GH

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    So you obviously have no clue about Chum Kiu!

GH
    I believe that Shaolin Allan may be referring the punch without the use of the hip, because it does exist in Wing Chun, and if you are not used to the concept, then it will be difficult to apply in the beginning.

In such a case the teachings of Chum Kiu will not apply are irrelevant, because even if he has no trouble with them, he may still have had problems with the punchs that do not use hip power, hence his point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    I believe that Shaolin Allan may be referring the punch without the use of the hip, because it does exist in Wing Chun, and if you are not used to the concept, then it will be difficult to apply in the beginning.

In such a case the teachings of Chum Kiu will not apply are irrelevant, because even if he has no trouble with them, he may still have had problems with the punchs that do not use hip power, hence his point.
    Ok so its normal to have conflicting ideas in Ving Tsun! Chum Kiu teaches us how to use the hip in all actions as does the dummy training. If you or shaolin allan dont have this idea its no big deal.......the wonderful world of kung Fu as always!

GH

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    hmmm..I was taught that the "punch without using the hip" actually uses the hip very much, although not turning as in a ping kuen (reverse punch) but in sinking, tucking the sacrum to engage the whole body into what appears to be simply arm punching.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    hmmm..I was taught that the "punch without using the hip" actually uses the hip very much, although not turning as in a ping kuen (reverse punch) but in sinking, tucking the sacrum to engage the whole body into what appears to be simply arm punching.

for me,

Hip is an extreme critical part. the action of this part cannot be replaced or substitute by triangle shape, elbow into the center line, structure.....etc.

a stiff hip or rigid hip or hold on hip means dead hip. a dead hip is like a stance.

it is a mistake and trouble to train in WCK and lock the hip. and hip locking is also an influence of knees and angkle locking in YJKYM.

Thus, the so called keep/ hold the Triangle on the lower part of the body is actually not helping WCK but screw up WCK. it simply nail it dead and cannot do fully body fajing.

Fajing , or issue jing, Jing here define as the adaptive force which could response to the need from all direction with different amplitude with a spiral natural.

certainly, some will argue and tell me such type of practice make one feel firm and stable. the issue here is the stance YJKYM in WCK is different with Hung gar. it is about dynamically active instead of firm and feel strong and root to the ground.

one can not stand in a triangle shape feet and leg stance and expecting that is loose and dynamic. because that mechanics has locked the lower body up. and Qi flow is compremised.

One can not stand in a triangle shape feet and leg stance and loosing the upper body expecting one can fajing. because that mechanics has broken the lower part of the body.

One thing, for me, I dont believe in such thing as Nim Lik doing in a rigid triangle shape/frame lower body, as some thinking those are the magic of WCK.

and I call it a demo for a certain condition because take a look at the feet, leg, hip condition. it is condition to support the forward action but not to response to needs from different directions.

for me, it is like a four wheel drive car that is jamming the two back wheel drive. that is violating the law of physics to handle a dynamic action. some one might have a different reasoning that those Nim lik stuffs work, that I am open and love to hear the reason on how they solve the lower part body jamming.

So, if these above are not iron out when one started Wing Chun, for me, one is actually lock oneself into a conner. and the consequence is one would not be able to effectively play with MT, Kyokushin, BJJ, or mmA which is very dynamic.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 08-07-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenTigers

for me,

Hip is an extreme critical part. the action of this part cannot be replaced or substitute by triangle shape, elbow into the center line, structure.....etc.

a stiff hip or rigid hip or hold on hip means dead hip. a dead hip is like a stance.

it is a mistake and trouble to train in WCK and lock the hip. and hip locking is also an influence of knees and angkle locking in YJKYM.

Thus, the so called keep/ hold the Triangle on the lower part of the body is actually not helping WCK but screw up WCK. it simply nail it dead and cannot do fully body fajing.

Fajing , or issue jing, Jing here define as the adaptive force which could response to the need from all direction with different amplitude with a spiral natural.

certainly, some will argue and tell me such type of practice make one feel firm and stable. the issue here is the stance YJKYM in WCK is different with Hung gar. it is about dynamically active instead of firm and feel strong and root to the ground.

one can not stand in a triangle shape feet and leg stance and expecting that is loose and dynamic. because that mechanics has locked the lower body up. and Qi flow is compremised.

One can not stand in a triangle shape feet and leg stance and loosing the upper body expecting one can fajing. because that mechanics has broken the lower part of the body.

One thing, for me, I dont believe in such thing as Nim Lik doing in a rigid triangle shape/frame lower body, as some thinking those are the magic of WCK.

and I call it a demo for a certain condition because take a look at the feet, leg, hip condition. it is condition to support the forward action but not to response to needs from different directions.

for me, it is like a four wheel drive car that is jamming the two back wheel drive. that is violating the law of physics to handle a dynamic action. some one might have a different reasoning that those Nim lik stuffs work, that I am open and love to hear the reason on how they solve the lower part body jamming.

So, if these above are not iron out when one started Wing Chun, for me, one is actually lock oneself into a conner. and the consequence is one would not be able to effectively play with MT, Kyokushin, BJJ, or mmA which is very dynamic.
    Last edited by Hendrik; Today at 05:30 PM.

um...not sure if you are agreeing with me or not...?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

depend on how do you use your hip.

I came from TKD. I didn't have much coordination with the hands. Other than that, I felt pretty good about the training. My WC training was just what I was missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Ok so its normal to have conflicting ideas in Ving Tsun! Chum Kiu teaches us how to use the hip in all actions as does the dummy training. If you or shaolin allan dont have this idea its no big deal.......the wonderful world of kung Fu as always!

GH
    What I was saying is that even though WC uses the hips (as taught in Chum Kiu) it also teaches you to hit, without using the hips (as taught in chum kiu). You still tuck in, and at the conclusion of the strike you sink.

So, that does involves the hips, but not as you referred to as taught in Chum Kiu. An example would be a straight "walk in" punch, where no turning of hip is involved, but still the hip is involved (not so visibly of course and not as you refer to, as taught in Chum Kiu).

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    What I was saying is that even though WC uses the hips (as taught in Chum Kiu) it also teaches you to hit, without using the hips (as taught in chum kiu). You still tuck in, and at the conclusion of the strike you sink.

So, that does involves the hips, but not as you referred to as taught in Chum Kiu. An example would be a straight "walk in" punch, where no turning of hip is involved, but still the hip is involved (not so visibly of course and not as you refer to, as taught in Chum Kiu).
    We don't share the same ideas of ving tsun so no point in any further comments from me.