View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 545 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 454454955355435445455465475555956451045 ... LastLast
Results 8,161 to 8,175 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    First I would like to say that John Ng and Sin The' NEVER trained together. I have never seen these forms performed by any John Ng students thats not to say they haven't been done. If you knew the history behind John Ng's school and Sin The's school you wouldn't be asking if they trained together.....lol.
    I know the history; nevertheless, Alex apparently knows an SD form or two, and Judge Pen apparently knows an Ng form or two. So...

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I really think he did these forms well and the way they should be done and the way that I learned them. I think if some good Sd people did some of their forms in Chinese unis or regular clothes, then people wouldn't think they looked so karate like. There would be differences of expression to address, but it would not be accused of karate. At least that's my belief..
    Isn't this the show?
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

At what time marks are the forms?

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    You know, I know some Sin The' forms because I used to study under him and his brother. When I left and started studying under John Ng and John Dufresne I learned other forms. If I did a Sin The' form are people going to say "Hey look, he's doing a Sin The' form, John Ng must be teaching SD forms"? I doubt very seriously if John Ng is going to teach a SD form, he might, but I doubt it.

You know, I know some Sin The' forms because I used to study under him and his brother. When I left and started studying under John Ng and John Dufresne I learned other forms. If I did a Sin The' form are people going to say "Hey look, he's doing a Sin The' form, John Ng must be teaching SD forms"? I doubt very seriously if John Ng is going to teach a SD form, he might, but I doubt it.
    Well, what you don't know would fill a barn. I'm looking for feedback from the Sd folks....

5. Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Well, what you don't know would fill a barn. I'm looking for feedback from the Sd folks....

hahaha thats awesome

i dont know much about that part of sd but i sent bq a pm so hopefully he or gt will chime in

I just got off the phone with Mark Burgher who is one of Dr. John Wing Loc Ng's students and has been for probably 25+ years. He was one of Dr. Ng's original students from Four Seasons and he has never heard of this Alex Hyunh either. He says that he would have had to learn from John Ng a long time ago, at least 6 or 7 years ago because John doesn't really do much teaching except to a select few. He still trains Frank Sexton and teaches Tai Chi to some women but thats about it. Funny how know one that I've talked to from Ng Family has heard of Alex training under John Ng.
    Did you ask him about David White? That is who Alex Hyunh said he studies with under Grandmaster John Wingloc Ng.

Heck, I'm not sure if you called up Sin The and asked him about me he would remember me by name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I know the history; nevertheless, Alex apparently knows an SD form or two, and Judge Pen apparently knows an Ng form or two. So...

MRK is probably right in that Sin The and NG never trained together. I'm sure Alex's teacher learned the forms from an SD student or maybe he trained in Sd for a while too. That's how I learned some of Ng's form. A student that I trained with starting training under Ng and he showed me a couple of forms. "Cross-pollination".
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I doubt very seriously if John Ng is going to teach a SD form, he might, but I doubt it.
    I doubt it too. See, we can find things to agree on.

I also asked about David White and Mark Burgher (John Ng's student for 25+ years) said he's heard the name before but doesn't know who he is or who he is affiliated with. I'm glad we can finally agree on something even if it is something minor like this.

Now this is all very interesting considering he was chosen to represent CMA on the show. Wonder what the Shaolin community in general thinks about his representation of the art?

Haven't heard anyone moaning "who the F is this guy and what was that he did on the show?"
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

I'll bet that Alex knows my good friend Gary Stearns who studied in Ng Family Kung Fu. He does stunt work and was in Pirates of the Carribean II & III, Matrix II & III, He just got done filming in Hawaii for Indiana Jones movie. He studied under Master Ricky Pickens who is an original student of John Ng for 30+ years. I saw where Alex was doing stunt work as well. Bet they know each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Now this is all very interesting considering he was chosen to represent CMA on the show. Wonder what the Shaolin community in general thinks about his representation of the art?

Haven't heard anyone moaning "who the F is this guy and what was that he did on the show?"
    There was a thread somewhere on here bemoaning the fact they chose a wu shu guy for the show. But you can find a thread bemoaning just about anything.

Actuall, now that I think about it I remember that thread. You would think they would go to Yan Ming or someone like that.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Isn't this the show?
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

At what time marks are the forms?

yes, that's it. Here are the marks and my take:

Forms starts at 24:38 and 24:49. It intercuts between Lo Han Chien and Fu Hu Tzung Tsu.

24:38 to 24-41. Lo Han Chien
    24:42 to 24:44 Fe Hu
    24:45 to 24:46 Lo Han
    24:46 to 24:49 Fe Hu

The only differences I see between the way he did the form and the way I know it is that he embellished the opening bow before starting Lo Han Chien and we strike with a double fist at the "freeze frame" section of Fe Hu instead of his double tiger claw.

Any other SD people want to comment? Anyone that made it through green in SD learned these two forms.

Edit: Oh, its hard to tell because of the inter-cutting, but it looks like he may have cut short the cat stance to jump front snap kick. You're supposed to sink your weight down after stepping to the cat stance and then spring upward with the kick.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 10-23-2007 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    yes, that's it. Here are the marks and my take:

Forms starts at 24:38 and 24:49. It intercuts between Lo Han Chien and Fu Hu Tzung Tsu.

24:38 to 24-41. Lo Han Chien
    24:42 to 24:44 Fe Hu
    24:45 to 24:46 Lo Han
    24:46 to 24:49 Fe Hu

The only differences I see between the way he did the form and the way I know it is that he embellished the opening bow before starting Lo Han Chien and we strike with a double fist at the "freeze frame" section of Fe Hu instead of his double tiger claw.

Any other SD people want to comment? Anyone that made it through green in SD learned these two forms.

Edit: Oh, its hard to tell because of the inter-cutting, but it looks like he may have cut short the cat stance to jump front snap kick. You're supposed to sink your weight down after stepping to the cat stance and then spring upward with the kick.
    I would say he's got more CMA flavor compared to typical SD folks, but it's hard to tell with the form all chopped up like that.

That mantis stance he does looks gay.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 10-23-2007 at 09:55 AM.