Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 10,001 ways to strengthen the fist

playing the bongos...

yesterday my son was banging two pots together so i grabbed the bongos and we began to make "music", but it suddenly hit me that using bongos is an excellent hand, wrist, and forearm conditioner... so naturally i thought of my thread here.

carrying chimney blocks around being held on your head - again this is considering the head as being a "fist".

swinging cinderblocks around like kettlebells... perhaps use one similar to cigar box juggling, only you use your hands and forearms to catch and throw the block. naturally this is best to practice in the winter months where one is more likely to have a few layers of clothing on to offer padding.

2 of my favorites:

doing basic strikes, sets and wrist twists using a pair of 10 lb. muhk yih pai (like wooden kettlebells, except the center of mass is much ****her from the grip);

punching a heavy bag, no bag gloves.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    yesterday my son was banging two pots together so i grabbed the bongos and we began to make "music", but it suddenly hit me that using bongos is an excellent hand, wrist, and forearm conditioner... so naturally i thought of my thread here.
    haha, cool!

i remember once su dong chen had us use that kind of drumming rhythm from one side of a person's outstretched arm to the other. seemed like not only good for arm and upper back conditioning for the person with outstretched arms, but also good hand conditioning for the person applying the drumming-like slapping.

Quote Originally Posted by KTS View Post
    haha, cool!
    thanks!!
    i remember once su dong chen had us use that kind of drumming rhythm from one side of a person's outstretched arm to the other. seemed like not only good for arm and upper back conditioning for the person with outstretched arms, but also good hand conditioning for the person applying the drumming-like slapping.
    makes for a better b!tchslap when i need to use it... and not on the women.

i started doing boading(spelling?) ball rotation exercises with two of my 9lb iron balls in one hand... waaay cool. good stuff.... makes hand very strong like vice-grips. good for choking out horses with one hand.

6 finger push ups(on middle, fore, thumb of both hands)

6 finger push ups(on middle, fore, thumb of both hands)
    you can do that with the (i dont know what they are called) standing position, bend down like you are going to touch your toes, legs straight. put fingers on ground, crawl to push up position on finger tips, legs straight. do pushup crawl back, stand. bend and repeat with 2 push ups, next is 3, then 4 then 5, etc.. go till your fingers fall off. fun stuff
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    you can do that with the (i dont know what they are called) standing position, bend down like you are going to touch your toes, legs straight. put fingers on ground, crawl to push up position on finger tips, legs straight. do pushup crawl back, stand. bend and repeat with 2 push ups, next is 3, then 4 then 5, etc.. go till your fingers fall off. fun stuff
    I like it!

Here's a White Crane method. Do several push ups on fingertips, then kick both legs between your hands so that you are balanced on your fingers with your legs straight out in front of you. Kick your legs back into the pushup position and repeat, varying the numbers of kick throughs and push ups in each cycle.

jd
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    Here's a White Crane method. Do several push ups on fingertips, then kick both legs between your hands so that you are balanced on your fingers with your legs straight out in front of you. Kick your legs back into the pushup position and repeat, varying the numbers of kick throughs and push ups in each cycle.
    impressive... but then again, what's not impressive about white crane... i get dizzy just thinking about it.

so you maintain balance on your fingers for the full motion i take it? are you suppose to hold the legs in front of you at all? im going to give that a whirl tonight, sounds cool, and hard lol
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

white crane is reknown for it's techniques feeding each other with the momentum built up from the previous movements... jdhowlands example is a wonderful example of pendulum(swinging) energy where the inertia is built up to the extent that one can keep going back and forth like a swing - that's how i see it anyways.

white crane is reknown for it's techniques feeding each other with the momentum built up from the previous movements... jdhowlands example is a wonderful example of pendulum(swinging) energy where the inertia is built up to the extent that one can keep going back and forth like a swing - that's how i see it anyways.
    You have discerned our secrets. Now, I have to kill you.

The idea is not to train just the arms and upper back, but include a workout for the trunk while doing pushups. Nice observation, Uki.

jd

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    so you maintain balance on your fingers for the full motion i take it? are you suppose to hold the legs in front of you at all? im going to give that a whirl tonight, sounds cool, and hard lol
    The way I was taught, you rest your heels momentarily on the floor after each kick-through before swinging back again...but you've given me an idea. When my students complain, I'll blame you.

As we do it now, it's not terribly difficult as long as you have a smooth floor to slide on. On some carpets I get stuck. It's harder for people with long legs. Good workout for abs and back and it gives you a break from the acid pain of continuous push ups.

Be well.

jd

im always willing to contribute to any ones students discomfort

thats one of the things about fong sifu down here, he has what seems like an unlimted amount of conditioning exercises you can do.

plus he introduced me to the self massage with a baseball thing.