Thread: How about this kind of competition?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    Anyway, from the responses so far I gather nobody's tried this yet except, like Yoshi, training with friends.
    I didn't say I hadn't tried it! But we also had numerous methods to experiment with including low plum flower posts like...

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    We used to do lots of chi sao on a plum blossom pile (an arrangement of poles sticking about 3 feet out of the ground).
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I didn't say I hadn't tried it! But we also had numerous methods to experiment with including low plum flower posts like...
    OK, you tried it... but did you like it?

And about those Plum-Flower Posts, how does that hold up with WC footwork? I always wondered about that. It seems like stepping from post to post would demand a totally different kind of stepping than the dragging step we train so hard to acheive in my lineage. Although, it was supposedly something people did way back at the dawn of WC... maybe when it was more like southern Shaolin?

As for the platforms, maybe I'll go out and get some cinder blocks and plywood and give it a go just for fun. With my arthritic ankles I think I'll skip the plum flower posts. Don't need to mess up my legs again.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

OK, you tried it... but did you like it?
    Of course I did! And still take on the challenge today if need be

And about those Plum-Flower Posts, how does that hold up with WC footwork? I always wondered about that.
    Very good question! My simple answer is, with what I have seen from a minority of Wing Chun schools, it is a very different method! probably more familiar to those with pole or knife experience. From my research, the schools with the Plum Flower within their logo/branding tend to teach a method of sorts akin to what I know.

It seems like stepping from post to post would demand a totally different kind of stepping than the dragging step we train so hard to acheive in my lineage.
    And you drag your leg because?

Although, it was supposedly something people did way back at the dawn of WC... maybe when it was more like southern Shaolin?
    Possibly, but who really knows?

From stories I have heard, our lineage is connected to Shaolin through various people, including Ng Mui and Jee Shim (both only Folklore figures really imho) Ng Mui, for example, is noted as the creator of Plum Flower Fist in almost all famous canons tracing Southern Shaolin, which is also where the stepping method originates.

Soooo many clips on YouTube that mention PF I couldn't pick one to share lol!! Seems to be big in Choy Lay Fut and Tong Long systems...
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 03-13-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術