Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January+February 2015

January+February 2015

The table of contents for our JAN+FEB 2015 issue are now online.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Read Kung Fu Tai Chi anywhere. Online, offline and on all your devices.

Now available on Zinio.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The cover story is now available for free.

Read Creating the World of the Warrior: John Fusco and Marco Polo By Lori Ann White

And for more on Marco Polo, reference our -Marco-Polo-Netflix-Original-Series thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

here come some fb memes

I thought this issue had more pull-quotes than it does.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another fb meme

Not sure if this pull-quote works out of context. We'll see.

Most of facebook seems out of context anyway. Ever read our comments there? They are sillier than the posts here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sifu Kenny Chin is well received on fb so far.

That article, A Master Remembers a Master: Kenny Chin shares what it was like growing up with the father of American Jow Ga Kung Fu Dean Chin By Ron Wheeler, was Q&A so it provided the most quotes.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another fb meme

Sen Gao was last years WildAid Tiger Claw Champ.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

Sen Gao was last years WildAid Tiger Claw Champ.
    Just curious ,how old is this guy Gene?

Another fb meme

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    Just curious ,how old is this guy Gene?
    According to his facebook, he is 28. Why?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I notice he refers to himself as Master Gao,in his article. Thought this was interesting for two reasons, one calling yourself Master{shouldn’t this be a title your students call you, not something you call yourself}. Second he seems a bit young to be” titled Master”. If he is 28 and Mater Gao, I should be Grandmaster Friedman. I have won a competition before and have studied longer than he has been alive. Personally I would never refer to myself as Master Friedman. If I live to be 90 and have trained for close to 80 years, I wouldn’t refer to myself as Master Friedman. Just my opinion though.
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 01-13-2015 at 08:06 PM.

Master is a common title adopted by anyone who owns a school in America

It's a translation issue to some degree. A lot of the mainlanders default to coach or teacher in Chinese. Of course, the term Shifu in Mandarin can be used for any person of authority - you can use it for your taxicab driver. But frankly, a school owner can't market well if they call themselves anything less. Schools that are more ring-oriented can get away with 'coach' - actually that's more the norm here - but not Kung Fu schools, and most modern wushu schools default to it as well. That being said, Sen Gao is a very accomplished martial artist and earns the title of master much more than many other so-called masters.

Personally I would never refer to myself as Master Friedman. If I live to be 90 and have trained for close to 80 years, I wouldn’t refer to myself as Master Friedman. Just my opinion though.
    If you always hold others to your standards, you will live a life of frustration. Been there, done that, still do in fact (am frustrated a lot )
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I just call my teacher Lao Shi. For me since I train at a Thai boxing school weekly and also have a Shuai Jiao coach that is a pro MMA fighter, as well as learning Chinese Kung Fu it seems silly. I can just image calling myself master than going and training with my Shuai Jiao coach and him tossing me around like a baby [which he does, and which he would to most any ”Master”]. Or going to the Thai boxing school and getting pounded on by a guy with two years of serious training[which hasn’t happened yet, but seems real likely it could]. I would have to stop them to remind them I am a master;]
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 01-14-2015 at 09:43 AM.

That reiterates my post above

Thai boxing and MMA are ring-oriented, so the term 'coach' is more appropo. Most PRC teachers in America actually use Laoshi in Chinese, at least around this area. It's the Hong Kong and Taiwanese school owners in America that will use Sifu, which is the arguable analog to the term 'master' in English. It's all semantics, martial semantics at that, which is dubious at best. You can argue the definition of 'master' until you're blue in the face nowadays. I'm sure we've had this discussion ad nauseum here already somewhere.

But it does raise an English semantic point that has always bothered me. Why is it that we call a Ph.D 'Doctor' but we don't call a M.A or M.S 'Master'?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Thai boxing and MMA are ring-oriented, so the term 'coach' is more appropo. Most PRC teachers in America actually use Laoshi in Chinese, at least around this area. It's the Hong Kong and Taiwanese school owners in America that will use Sifu, which is the arguable analog to the term 'master' in English. It's all semantics, martial semantics at that, which is dubious at best. You can argue the definition of 'master' until you're blue in the face nowadays. I'm sure we've had this discussion ad nauseum here already somewhere.

But it does raise an English semantic point that has always bothered me. Why is it that we call a Ph.D 'Doctor' but we don't call a M.A or M.S 'Master'?
    to me if someone is calling themself master he should be catching flies in his hands. Master of what, forms? Cause anyone who is training for real can’t possibly call themself master. If someone is a master, I would imagine that if a guy like my coach Yao Honggong tried to throw him he would touch some spot on his body and paralyze him. Kung Fu is a martial art/ meaning a fighting art, wonder how much of a master he would be in the previously mentioned scenarios.

Not trying to start an argument Gene. It just rubs me the wrong way. Just speaking my piece, I will just leave it at that.

Nice!

to me if someone is calling themself master he should be catching flies in his hands.
    I can totally do that! I AM A MASTER! Finally, finally. And to think, all of these years, I've been wasting my time working on catching them with chopsticks.

I feel ya, wiz cool c, but I still feel you're projecting on this one.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips