Thread: Wing chun long, medium, or short range sparring?

Hybrid View

In regards to longer range fighting, the WC I practice has long range bridging strategies. It is part of our Cheurn Kiu Sau engagement tools. This can be used to bridge with an opponent as a means of keeping them out of mid-to-close range striking. Of course, it also would keep me from reaching my opponent with WC's short range strikes, but that's the point.

In a general sense, it's intent is to intercept & engage with an opponent and fend them off to prior to closing the range into WC's short range striking. This may be done as a means to feel the guy out a little before going into committing to striking, and generally works best against longer range attacks (jab/cross). When introducing these ideas to students, I use the analogy 'touch the stone, cross the river'.

Of course fights are chaotic and the opponent might have other ideas about the range they want to fight at So while like anything else, it doesn't always work out, but the idea is you've made contact sooner than later and have bought some time to react to their next move while covering centerline and getting a bead on their COG if bridge correctly.
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 06-11-2014 at 04:00 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    The WC I practice has long range bridging strategies. It is part of our Cheurn Kiu Sau engagement tools. This can be used to bridge with an opponent as a means of keeping them out of mid-to-close range striking. Of course, it also would keep me out of that same range, but in a general sense, it's intent is to intercept & engage with an opponent and fend them off to prior to closing the range into WC's short range striking. This may be done as a means to feel the guy out a little before commiting to striking. When introducing these ideas to students, I use the analogy 'touch the stone, cross the river'.
    Of course, the opponent might have other ideas, so it doesn't always work out and the range may be lost before it's of any use.
    This was what I understood to be the case. I guess I view it, in that sense, of being a style that has methods of dealing with long range, but not oriented towards long range offenses. Would this be accurate?

To clarify a bit, I mean a style that applies a long range defense intended to facilitate offenses on closing.

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Newbie View Post
    This was what I understood to be the case. I guess I view it, in that sense, of being a style that has methods of dealing with long range, but not oriented towards long range offenses. Would this be accurate?
    To clarify a bit, I mean a style that applies a long range defense intended to facilitate offenses on closing.
    That is correct. It is a means of engaging long range without fully committing to short range fighting that is WC's bread & butter
    (just a note, I also editted my last post before seeing your reply)
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

That is correct. It is a means of engaging long range without fully committing to short range fighting that is WC's bread & butter
    (just a note, I also editted my last post before seeing your reply)
    Just read the edit. Thanks.

I think looking at things from is it a long range art or short range art is looking at it wrong. Just my opinion. That's not how things really work. I think how a person uses their wing chun training is very very dependent on the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    I think looking at things from is it a long range art or short range art is looking at it wrong. Just my opinion. That's not how things really work. I think how a person uses their wing chun training is very very dependent on the individual.
    Boxing or long fist has longer reach punches for outside range than wing chun. I don't see any practitioner changing this without simply adopting the same practices. This is not to say that wing chun does not address the long range, but I don't see any techs in it that would allow staying at long range without simply being defensive.

Boxing or long fist has longer reach punches for outside range than wing chun. I don't see any practitioner changing this without simply adopting the same practices. This is not to say that wing chun does not address the long range, but I don't see any techs in it that would allow staying at long range without simply being defensive.
    No completely wrong. A straight punch with your arm fully extended does't get any longer lol. Wing chun is training for fights in stand up range if you want to call it that. Not short not middle not long they don't exist except in academic talk.

No completely wrong. A straight punch with your arm fully extended does't get any longer lol. Wing chun is training for fights in stand up range if you want to call it that. Not short not middle not long they don't exist except in academic talk.
    I was under the impression that wing chun sought to keep a punch in your own center line. Is this mistaken?

In other words, using boxing as an example, fully turning the shoulder, posturing forward, having the strike well out of your own center line, and having the rear heel raised all contribute extra reach that the arm alone cannot. I was not aware that wing chun did this. Same with a cross or a straight right.

This is not even considering systems with long range kicks, which I was not aware were present in Wing Chun.
    Last edited by Faux Newbie; 06-11-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    A straight punch with your arm fully extended does't get any longer lol.
    Since long fist is my primary foundation art, I can answer this question. If you keep your chest and arm in a 90 degree angle, you can punch with both arms at the same time but you won't have maximum reach. To turn your body and make your punching arm, chest, and back shoulder in a perfect straight line will give you the maximum reach. If you also lift your back leg into a golden roster stance, lean your body forward, that will give you even more reach.

Name:  chickenstance.gif
Views: 265
Size:  12.9 KB
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-11-2014 at 05:38 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Since long fist is my primary foundation art, I can answer this question. If you keep your chest and arm in a 90 degree angle, you can punch with both arms at the same time but you won't have maximum reach.
    Precisely, I don't know of a punch in wing chun like this.
    Last edited by Faux Newbie; 06-11-2014 at 05:48 PM.

I can agree with this. While yes, WC is mostly a shorter range striking style, I wouldn't say wing chun is only a short range art as that is limiting. As I see WC being a principle-based art (lol, T will like that), not technique based, it has strategies/tactics/tools for all 'ranges', with different mechanics for the various 'ranges'. It's just that it mainly employs short range striking, so tends to get categorized as such.

I can agree with this. While yes, WC is mostly a shorter range striking style, I wouldn't say wing chun is only a short range art as that is limiting. As I see WC being a principle-based art (lol, T will like that), not technique based, it has strategies/tactics/tools for all 'ranges', with different mechanics for the various 'ranges'. It's just that it mainly employs short range striking, so tends to get categorized as such.
    From an outside(of Wing Chun, not outside range) perspective, this sounds pretty accurate.

And of course, range is a momentary thing at times, but being able to determine the range at the moment is a definite skill. Distance (as in timing and distance) is probably a better description, I suppose.