Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Stiff and Rigid?

I check the clip below...No offense but is this your video?

If is Not...I wasnt impressed...First of all they lack whole body connection...basically their hands are flowering around doing stuff...This is not what i mean by flow...Hands and feet move together. Either your moving an striking or kicking an striking at the same time...When i say moving i mean moving in on your opponent constantly.

your right about Yips students...i still refer to westerners as yip man lineage...any way i digress...

where are your clips located?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Here we go!

Firstly, Ip Man never taught any westerners, so if you want to point the finger at anyone point it in the direction of his students that spread his teachings worldwide like Wong Shun Leung, Moy Yat, Ho Kam Ming, Lee Shing etc and from my experience they have all done a good job, unique and individual interpretations, but good all the same.

Secondly, if you had ever bothered to look at any of my own clips you might have seen that I personally do not advocate the typical Chisau platform, I rotate in various ways and have different names for different intentions, Chisau being only one of our interactive exercises. So, in short I know exactly what the guys are doing in the clip which is why I stated it isn't Chisau. Have a look at how we interact with 'flow' and tell me if you do anything like this... http://youtu.be/tx0ID9XEZ6E?t=1m40s

Finally, will you stop using ye olde 'travel back in time' cr4p because I personally do not think you have learnt enough Wing Chun yourself to even highlight what the differences could be. That's not to say we all can't speculate, but I find it far more useful to discuss what you have seen and done 'first hand'.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    JPinAZ okay wow...now you have me curious...Hmmm what do you mean by FLOW or what you thought i meant by wing chun specifically having Flow? Please enlighten me....I know its off subject but i wont understand the other schools of thought concerning flow or continous motion?

As for non-sport fights...i meant something like point karate where you hit an break or boxing or kick boxing where you back away or move away to calculate your next move...
    I have no idea what you are asking or what you are even talking about now. I Have nothing more to say to you on this subject.
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 09-07-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

If is Not...I wasnt impressed...First of all they lack whole body connection...basically their hands are flowering around doing stuff...This is not what i mean by flow...Hands and feet move together. Either your moving an striking or kicking an striking at the same time...When i say moving i mean moving in on your opponent constantly.
    LoneTiger, forget everything this guy is saying.
    This is coming from the same guy that thinks that the following clips are representitive of top notch training and good, 'strong' punches & attacks. He'll probably even tell you they represent the 'good flow' that he is referring too!
    (These are some clips of guys yoshi occasionally trains with that are in his same lineage and also live in St. Louis, of which he holds in high regards as 'good fighters'. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVXH9f1WMbY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nJb3...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaaWg...3&feature=plcp
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 09-07-2012 at 08:12 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

I threw up in my mouth after watching those clips.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by SAAMAG View Post
    I threw up in my mouth after watching those clips.
    Van, that sort of Wing Chun requires tremendous foot speed and foot work. It works best if you can get a guy to chase you. When I was a kid, I got guys to chase me and drilled them off of the jut and pac. The key is that you have to move. They were stationary for the camera.

I understand that you aren't as familiar with that brand of WC, but I assure you that it can be effective. If you have the right attributes versus your opponent.

Now I am not saying that those clips were the best I have ever seen, but I recognized the limited space with the camera is a problem
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 09-07-2012 at 06:33 PM.

The camera was pretty far back and they had more than enough space to demonstrate their WC. The fact is, if someone needs more than an entire backyard to run around and have someone 'chase' them to make any WC work, then they probably don't understand WC at all and are doing something else entirely (this also goes for those that would advocate doing this, or anyone defending these clips).

And I'll hold my comments on the 'quality' of these clips, I think they speak for themselves, as well as the POV yoshi is coming from
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 09-07-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    The camera was pretty far back and they had more than enough space to demonstrate their WC. The fact is, if someone needs more than an entire backyard to run around and have someone 'chase' them to make any WC work, then they probably don't understand WC at all and are doing something else entirely (this also goes for those that would advocate doing this, or anyone defending these clips).

And I'll hold my comments on the 'quality' of these clips, I think they speak for themselves, as well as the POV yoshi is coming from
    I think that this speaks pretty clearly to your mental and physical limitations as a fighter. Stay out of any real fights so that you don't get banged out in 3 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    I think that this speaks pretty clearly to your mental and physical limitations as a fighter. Stay out of any real fights so that you don't get banged out in 3 seconds.
    No, the quote below speaks volumes for someone that doesn't have a clue about WC, or fighting with it (along with making you sound like you're a closet puff boy):

...Wing Chun requires tremendous foot speed and foot work. It works best if you can get a guy to chase you. When I was a kid, I got guys to chase me and drilled them off of the jut and pac. The key is that you have to move.
    Keep defending those 'great' clips I posted, it's a perfect indication of what you know and don't know
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 09-07-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Van, that sort of Wing Chun requires tremendous foot speed and foot work. It works best if you can get a guy to chase you. When I was a kid, I got guys to chase me and drilled them off of the jut and pac. The key is that you have to move. They were stationary for the camera.
    That sounds like your brand of Wing Chun. Running away. I'm sure it would work even better for you if you did the running while waving a white flag and calling out "uncle" at the top of your lungs. But I'm sure that was a big part of your childhood training.

Now that you're older do you still have guys chase you and then drill them when they are stationary for the camera? Do you make a lot of money selling those videos?

No, the quote below speaks volumes for someone that doesn't have a clue about WC, or fighting with it (along with making you sound like you're a closet puff boy):

Keep defending those 'great' clips I posted, it's a perfect indication of what you know and don't know
    Okay, post something to show us how you do it? Show us how you go about getting K.Oed.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 09-08-2012 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    That sounds like your brand of Wing Chun. Running away. I'm sure it would work even better for you if you did the running while waving a white flag and calling out "uncle" at the top of your lungs. But I'm sure that was a big part of your childhood training.

Now that you're older do you still have guys chase you and then drill them when they are stationary for the camera? Do you make a lot of money selling those videos?
    Your claim to fame is going to a smoker in the 80's and getting destroyed. It's not a brand of WC. It's just something that I did a lot when I was a teen fighting bigger stronger opponents. When Victor posted here, we talked a lot about this because he was a small guy. If you conception of WC is the clash and grapple, you probably loose against anyone who is the least bit heavier than you.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 09-08-2012 at 03:12 AM.

I understand that you aren't as familiar with that brand of WC, but I assure you that it can be effective. If you have the right attributes versus your opponent.

Now I am not saying that those clips were the best I have ever seen, but I recognized the limited space with the camera is a problem
    It all makes sense now

LoneTiger, forget everything this guy is saying.
    This is coming from the same guy that thinks that the following clips are representitive of top notch training and good, 'strong' punches & attacks. He'll probably even tell you they represent the 'good flow' that he is referring too!
    (These are some clips of guys yoshi occasionally trains with that are in his same lineage and also live in St. Louis, of which he holds in high regards as 'good fighters'. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVXH9f1WMbY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nJb3...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaaWg...3&feature=plcp
    Thanks for the heads up dude but I have seen these clips before.

I'm always open to peoples opinions of what I do, especially since I put a small troupe up in such a public demo I guess you could say I'm asking for trouble lol! And I see totally what you're saying but I don't want to get into all the negativity anymore to be honest.

Personally It looks quite clear to me that the guys in the clips learnt from Youtube and I have nothing further to say about that!!

But IF they learnt that stuff from a Sifu?? They could have copied this instead as at least this dude looks like he knows what he is doing and why?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDpx5...eature=related

If is Not...I wasnt impressed...First of all they lack whole body connection...basically their hands are flowering around doing stuff...
    Well, yes that is me and my kung fu bro taking the guys out to demonstrate what we do and how we train. Sorry it doesn't conform to your own ideas of what you think Wing Chun is, but from looking through your clips I have to say I am quite pleased that it doesn't.

your right about Yips students...i still refer to westerners as yip man lineage...any way i digress...
    You are a westerner right? From Loiusville or something? Or at least the guys in the clips are right? Your post here wreaks of some superiority complex about being from a non-Ip Man lineage.

How long have you learnt Wing Chun exactly and from who? Does your own Sifu (if you have one) also support your attitude towards Ip Mans western influence?
    Forgive me for digressing!!

where are your clips located?
    Good olde UK dude. Birmingham in fact, at The Martial Arts Show. Supporting the establishment of a new group of like minded guys called the British Traditional Chinese Martial Arts Association - linking many older systems under one umbrella.

I prefer to listen to their expert opinions and advice rather than the ranting of some random dude overseas who promotes clips of guys who look like they can't even walk...
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 09-08-2012 at 05:04 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Your claim to fame is going to a smoker in the 80's and getting destroyed. It's not a brand of WC. It's just something that I did a lot when I was a teen fighting bigger stronger opponents. When Victor posted here, we talked a lot about this because he was a small guy. If you conception of WC is the clash and grapple, you probably loose against anyone who is the least bit heavier than you.
    Ah, now I get it. Little man's syndrome. Do you wear platform shoes and drive a truck with a lift kit on it too?

My brand of WC is to focus on relentlessly attacking the opponent instead of continually dealing with his attacks.

I rather move in, take a hit but dominate the fight, instead of staying on the back foot and continually receiving the opponent's attack.

Do not assume that, by focusing on defending, one can sneak in a hit and turn the game around. Most people can take a few hits unless your hits are like being hit by a truck. And don't forget while you are on the defensive your balance and power could be compromised and your strikes may not be as powerful as during bag work or training.

Dominate, focus on the task, keep attacking until your opponent is down. Then strike him some more just in case.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"