Thread: Nunchaku skills

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    so....

who are the chukers out there?
    Raises Hand!

Never broke any wood w/them but I 've been practicing them on and off for a REAL
    long time.
    And I believe control is much,much better the closer you hold them to the chain. I usually only lower my grip in sparring for a better reach.
    Mr. T invented fools, then feeling bad about it, invented pity

http://www.cansfordan.com

http://www.fightfordan.com

Quote Originally Posted by ingchao View Post
    Raises Hand!

Never broke any wood w/them but I 've been practicing them on and off for a REAL
    long time.
    And I believe control is much,much better the closer you hold them to the chain. I usually only lower my grip in sparring for a better reach.
    sweet. breaking wood with em isnt really that big of a deal, you could do it sleeping. its just fun. and good for acuracy.

I feel like Ive got a lot more control more near the cord (i perfer corded to chain for some reason, I think because I can fix em easy when they break. There is this guy on youtube who showed how to recycle broken chain chucks tho ) It does seem like power diminishes but I'm pretty sure even if i grip near the top i could still split a skull pretty easily.

I more than often use a pair of oak octogon chucks ive had for a long time. I dont really hit myself with them anymore, but from the times in the past that I did, and not at full force, I gained a lot of respect for the damage these suckers and put out.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Length, in swing can vary Power.

Where it swings nearthe rope it is not held but by mumentum or some force likethat. This might be directable by the opponent.

If you have more control away from the end of the grip perhaps you have less skill, and find this more do-able.

If you have them, they have you. a grip away from the end might limit options if the other rod gets caught.

I saw one style is easier to lose the item than the other.

When the 'chucks become as a disc it seems more suitable for scaring at best. Unless you have a sai for when you lose your chucks...

No_Know

I think it can be used to develop strength and dexterity perhaps. Continued success with your remakable training Lucas and ingchao. I think you have gotten benefits from your practice. Good Work.

I No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

dont hit yourself with them it hurts.

shaolin nunchaku?

Ive started to build my own set with nunchuaku combining my shaolin red fist techniques and methods. as ive taught myself the nunchaku over a span of 8 years, the only formally learned material entering this will be from my xiaohongquan and dahongquan.

just for my own practice of course. something formalized that works what I feel to be realistic nunchaku strikes and techs with that of strong offensive, and defensive footwork. combined with kicks, hand strikes, blocks, and couple basic throws.

this will give me a great framework to practice all of my nunchaku techniques in a sequence.

im keeping with linear footwork as is the red fist boxing, but I will have focus to each side as well as forward and backward rotation.

ive been doing this for a few months now and have decided on my opening (nothing fancy, like a lot of kungfu, this is meant to be in the realm of realism as well) and the first several movements.

I am keeping this realistic, so the strikes are generally wide range, extended powerful strikes. simple hand offs, and defensive cover with the off hand as well as footwork/stances.

also to keep in mind I am using nice heavy oak chucks. each strike is meant to be able to damage bone.

I have to say, its some of the most fun ive ever had with my martial arts. im a bit of a perfectionist so I think this is going to take me a very long time to accomplish to my personal satisfaction. once I am happy with the outcome, ill try to find someone to film me and will post it.

dont hold your breath though, its going to be a while.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.