Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron palm

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Two things:
    Wall bag training can be used for iron palm. It's not the dropping method, or even the palm that makes it iron palm, but the concept. Iron palm is just the term.
    2- Duncan Leung, Alan Lee are two more highly respected Situation, who include ip in their training.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post

well aware of AF 'plinth' striking ideas....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You don't IMO.
    It's ok to have your own views on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    So can I. Joy's si-fu, Augustine Fong, has taught iron palm in his WC. I learned a bit of that under one of his instructors back in '79. Then I spent a dozen years with LT who felt that iron palm was a waste of time in his WT system. Experts will disagree.
    Yes, experts can disagree and do. That is because they have other valid methodologies that give them the necessary impact and penetrative power, such as some Internal styles that can deliver huge damage with almost baby soft hands.

The problem is that many other "experts" will just badmouth and demean a methodology because they do not know ziltch about it, and I am afraid that this is the case on many MA internet forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    I can see some logic in both points of view. Most of our hitting is frontal, centerline striking, and the wall bag is good training for that. On the other hand, there is some use of downward dropping energy, as in jut-sau, gum-sau, gaun-sau and so on. Perhaps iron palm training could be used to enhance that? Or maybe you could just spend more time on the dummy.
    The downward IP training helps to, among other things, develop the "heavy hand", which then becomes useful in whichever direction one strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer
    Personally I'd be more interested in hearing people report on what works for them and why, rather than hearing all the nitpicking and arguing between know-it-alls who are convinced that their si-fu's word is the one and only truth! I prefer to view technique and training from a benefit vs. cost perspective rather than as "right vs. wrong". Just my 2 cents.
    Personally speaking both methodologies work for me, so I am not discounting,nor demeaning any of them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    The downward IP training helps to,
    We don't see much downward palm strike in UFC ground game may be because the MMA gloves. Without the gloves, I believe IP will be a very powerful tool in the ground game. It's not that hard to break someone's nose when he is on the ground and you are on top of him.

And dont forget "Iron Ginger Fist" , I think I saw a DVD series somewhere for that.....
    Would you like to taste my iron ginger fist?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Would you like to taste my iron ginger fist?
    I counter with lemon chicken finger strike

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We don't see much downward palm strike in UFC ground game may be because the MMA gloves. Without the gloves, I believe IP will be a very powerful tool in the ground game. It's not that hard to break someone's nose when he is on the ground and you are on top of him.
    Actually, I should have been more clear. Sometimes I use the Iron Palm description to mean any "iron" training involving the hand. I believe that a penetrative fist strike from the top, to an opponent lying on the bottom will make difference, much more than a Iron Palm strike, even when one is wearing gloves. Palm strikes will probably be more effected by the use gloves.
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 10-21-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Actually, I should have been more clear. Sometimes I use the Iron Palm descrition to mean any "iron" training involving the hand. I believe that a penetrative fist strike from the top, to an opponent lying on the bottom will make difference, much more than a Iron Palm strike, even when one is wearing gloves. Palm strikes will probably be more effected by the use gloves.
    "Two things:
    Wall bag training can be used for iron palm. It's not the dropping method, or even the palm that makes it iron palm, but the concept. Iron palm is just the term.
    2- Duncan Leung, Alan Lee are two more highly respected Situation, who include ip in their training."

I talk..nobody listens....you're like my kids...
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    "Two things:
    2- Duncan Leung, Alan Lee are two more highly respected Situation, who include ip in their training."

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Much truth to that - but wall and stand training complement each other.And you can also combine both.

"Two things:

LOL. I was listening, and nothing has hardened my hands more than hitting focus mitts, heavy bags, etc without gloves on.

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    LOL. I was listening, and nothing has hardened my hands more than hitting focus mitts, heavy bags, etc without gloves on.
    now Im listening too, wall bags , heavy bags , pads, things guys do to train impact, distance, timing, cadence... with bare knuckles
    BTW I have never injured my hands in fights, go figure.

now Im listening too, wall bags , heavy bags , pads, things guys do to train impact, distance, timing, cadence... with bare knuckles
    I've never injured mine either, and have always just rapped my knuckles on hard surfaces when I'm doing other things.

It bugs my wife though.

"Two things:
    Wall bag training can be used for iron palm.
    It probably can, but IMHO you will do well to use a downward strike methodology to supplement it. As I mentioned before, in my Mainland Chinese lineage of WC we hit the bag straight, to the sides and down.. We also hit the sand bowl in a wide horse stance, which is not associated with Wing Chun. We use punches, claws, finger strikes and palms.

It's not the dropping method, or even the palm that makes it iron palm, but the concept. Iron palm is just the term.
    The dropping of the palm is a concept onto itself.....

I could say the same things.

AGAIN....Iron Palm/Fist etc, is not just about hardening your hands. A little bit of genuine research will go a long way, as regards this fascinating subject matter...

I counter with lemon chicken finger strike

Awww But too late the chicken has ate the lemon an your finger...so you have nothing to defend yourself with...Not prepare for the blast of my Ginger Snaps!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"