View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 919 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 4198198699099179189199209219299691019 ... LastLast
Results 13,771 to 13,785 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Because you can't use the Flying Consumate Skill unless you're wearing silk.

Duh.

Uniforms, Ha not again , heck I wear 100% cotton chef pant baggies when I work out, man I can whup up a bad ass Kung Pao Gi. But I still train , so who cares. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

hey watch this clip.

4. Chung Kuo Lao and Han Shou Chi.

The 2 new drunkens being taught

Has anyone noticed that the guy who started this monster thread only had the one post? Poor Kung Fu Fan, we barely knew ye.
    Sith Legal Kung Fu is unstoppable.

Blast from the past...

Did anyone ever disprove my late night theory about Shaolin-do having a circus background? Hope JP and everyone from SD I met are doing well.
    Here's that old idea (took me all day to dig it out of the archives):
    think Su Kong Tai Jin was in a circus. I think he studied at "the" Southern Shaolin Temple and when the temple was destroyed he went out into the world and made his way as best he could. Therefore, the photos were setups put together by the circus to publicize. I think Su Kong offered more than "just" wolf-boy appeal, I think he performed iron body feats (thus the pic of a bear biting his arm) and perhaps other "unbelievable" feats made possible by his previous training. I also think that GM Ie travelled with the same circus. Learning from Su Kong as they travelled. I have read that accompanying the letter promoting GM Sin to 10th GM Ie writes, "In the early time, I traveled everywhere in China to learn Martial arts, and had been up to North Korea. It has been 50 years since I moved down to south. I had been through a lot of tough times. But when I looked it back, I surely had a lot of unforgettable memory." Hmmm...travelling everywhere even to northern korea, learning martial arts. What better way to travel than in a circus...perhaps surrounded by folks of like mind?
    Circus-type "masters" pop up several times in the SD literature.
    One, in the SDA manual, speaks of "the strongest man in China" who GM Sin maintains was his hero and travelled with a circus. He died in London, exchanging blows with his English equivilent. The story stresses how he would tense before each blow, like our Three Unit Tension form...laughing at the fellow's attempts, until the Englishman caught him unaware. Next it points out how he struck and withdrew quickly, as we are supposed to do in our short forms. This was a man trained...at LEAST partially...in a style similar to our own.
    Next was the story of GM Sin visiting Bali. GM Ie told him to visit an "old colleague" Ji Shou Hu. Here's a portion of that story:
    "Upon arriving in Bali, Grandmaster Sin was happy to find that Ji Shou Hu was giving a public demonstration. It is well known that the chain whip is one of the most difficult Shaolin weapons to master. Ji Shou Hu's demonstration he went a step further than most. He preformed the chain whip swings while riding a bicycle. The crowd was amazed as he showed his complete mastery of the chain whip. This included "hopping" the bike up and spinning the whip underneath. For the finale he approached seven women holding Chinese coins between their thumb and forefinger. Remember that Chinese coins (yuan) have a whole in the center. Ji Shou Hu began snapping the whip toward the women with incredible speed. When he finally stopped, he held the whip up for the audience to see seven coins pierced and stuck on the pointed tip of his chain whip. At this point the audience went wild. The crowd then quieted as Ji Shou Hu raised the whip handle and extended his Ch'i power into the weapon. The Whip began to straighten out horizontally, one link at a time until finally the entire chain whip stood straight out from his hand. At his command the whip fell limp again at his side."
    Is it hard to imagine such an act being worked up in a circus by a person who'd already mastered chainwhip in kung-fu training? Later in the story it is revealed that Ji Shou Hu was also a Master of our short forms.
    Other masters of the school, alongside GM Ie, that I've heard mentioned include: Qui Gwong, Chi Gong, and Gi Shiao Fu. Note the similarity of the name Gi Shiao Fu to Ji Shou Hu...sorry, just noticed that myself. Maybe the Master eventually moved to teach at GM Ie's school. In any case, these small facts (perhaps a few others) have led me to my pet theory.
    It's possible that this portion of SD's history isn't mentioned because some folks might feel it lacks a certain dignity. Su Kong and GM Ie living in a cave would certainly be more in keeping with the legends of old and their way of doing things...but I love this theory. Hope no one is insulted, and that at least someone finds this interesting.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

yes that is interesting..... but hey we all have to eat some how, and that would be a good way, use your skills, i'd even say it would be better then work as a bodyguard? you know with the little new idea that had came around.. you know the one that goes BANG BANG....??
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

I just Love this stuff, You guys are wild?

Radhnoti,

Great to hear from you. I always found your theory to be interesting and I've heard all of the stories you reference from my teachers as well (except for the letter). And, as you know the letter references gifting Sin The' Master Ie's jade pipe which I've been told he carries with him in his fanny pack. Don't know if your theory is correct, but it's interesting to think about.

Fact is I've given up worrying about the "true" origins of SD. I have a hip injury that prevents me from doing a lot of what I used to do, so my training is limited. I devoted 20 years of training to SD and do not regret that time. I know the style is effective even if I think it is easy to lose focus and just gobble up the next form wihout understanding the ones you already know fully. Shaolin-do is as real as you make it. You get out of it what effort you put in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Sorry to hear about the hip injury JP. As I recall, you were dealing with/recovering from a hip (or was it knee?) surgery about the time we moved out of shaolin-do.

Probably good to move beyond unanswerable questions, I've not thought about it in a long while. A good friend of mine just got his 1st brown in shaolin-do the other day (lives up north) and I got curious about whether anything new had come up. Started looking at this huge thread and realized my old pet theory was in ANOTHER massive thread that I almost couldn't access.

I'm glad for my time in shaolin-do, honestly it was the only opportunity to learn any sort of Chinese (or Indonesian) martial art in this area. My teacher was/is the best (in my opinion), and I liked some of the material very much. Certainly no regrets for my 5 or so years studying SD in regards to the material or most of the great people I met.

Anyway, hope all is well with you and your family.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

just curious... has anyone use the MA skills in their job or any other task to earn a living?
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

I have used my skills at work,

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    This has to be the longest thread ever in the existance of threads...
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    just curious... has anyone use the MA skills in their job or any other task to earn a living?
    I use my skills at work everyday. Not in a self defense manner of speaking. But in abilities that I developed through my training. I have a very physical, repetitive job that requires a high level of hand dexterity and speed. My ability to learn a new process has been made easy because it is very similar to learning a new form. And I continuosly use whole body movement and relaxation to move with speed and fluidity. And I've never been injured at work, which is a rarity.

Forgive me for not reading the 880 pages, but Is Shaolin-Do for real?