Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: On why I think Hendrik is on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    lol, bah, I exist whether KPM sees me or not
    It was funny, he put T on ignore and then continued to talk about him and reply to what he said for 4 or 5 posts! He's like a kid that sticks his fingers in his ears crying 'Naaa Naa na Naaa Naaa - I can't hear you, I can't hear you' and then follows after you when you walk away still crying "I can't hear you! Did you hear me?? I said, I can't hear you!"
    Now that's a pretty funny description of the "Ignore" function in the forum if I've ever heard one

Regarding that, I have a question. Is someone a drama queen if they use the "Ignore" function in the forum? Or just if they post about using it in the forum itself?

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Regarding that, I have a question. Is someone a drama queen if they use the "Ignore" function in the forum? Or just if they post about using it in the forum itself?

Thoughts?
    I look at this way WF. If someone has demonstrated that they are not interested in what I have to say, they don't have anything particularly interesting to say themselves, and have proven to be rude and impolite in multiple discussion threads.....why would I want to continue to engage with them at all? I've been told to not "take the bait." The best way to not "take the bait" is to not see it in the first place. So I can avoid pointless discussions that degenerate to "drama queen" status with people who are just here to argue by not engaging with them. But I find it hard to resist the urge to do that, hence..."ignore." Isn't that why the function exists in the forum to begin with?

Now that's a pretty funny description of the "Ignore" function in the forum if I've ever heard one

Thoughts?
    Lol, I actually laughed out loud when I typed it - sometimes I even amuse myself

Meh, I think in some cases, ignore can be a good thing. I think I have a few people on ignore, but I can't really say if they post any more because 1, I don't see their post anymore, and 2, once I put them on ignore, I forgot about them. But to go on post after post talking about how you are going to, or did, ignore someone and then continue to go on talking about that person is a LOT of Drama Queenery IMO. And doesn't sound like you're ignoring anything at that point!

Example: I've been told to not "take the bait." The best way to not "take the bait" is to not see it in the first place. So I can avoid pointless discussions that degenerate to "drama queen" status with people who are just here to argue by not engaging with them. But I find it hard to resist the urge to do that, hence..."ignore."

To me, this sounds like someone with very little self control (immaturity?) that 'just can't help themselves' so they trick themselves by sticking their head in the sand and hoping the issue jsut goes away. Kinda like someone with a weight problem having to cover their eyes when after they bake a cake or they'll end up eating the whole thing. Could just not buy the ingredients in the first place. ** ok, maybe that doesn't make as much sense as it did in my head)

Me personally, if I don't like something someone says, I simply ignore it. Or, if I feel there is a valid point to make, I'll address it (and in a lot of cases opens a bigger can of worms). But either way, it's all on me - no one made me hit the reply buttom. To blame someone else for one's own actions and lack of disciple/self-control is pretty lame IMO. Isn't that a big part of what MA's is supposed to teach us?
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 06-10-2014 at 09:45 AM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I look at this way WF. If someone has demonstrated that they are not interested in what I have to say, they don't have anything particularly interesting to say themselves, and have proven to be rude and impolite in multiple discussion threads.....why would I want to continue to engage with them at all? I've been told to not "take the bait." The best way to not "take the bait" is to not see it in the first place. So I can avoid pointless discussions that degenerate to "drama queen" status with people who are just here to argue by not engaging with them. But I find it hard to resist the urge to do that, hence..."ignore." Isn't that why the function exists in the forum to begin with?
    Don't know that I could actually answer what the thinking behind designing that feature in bulletin board software was. They try out all sorts of new and cool features that are a combination of software and a social experiment and retain what seems to be popular. Like some software has "freeze" capability rather than "bans" or in addition to "bans". Some have "vote up" and "vote down" capabilities for posts, some have temporary bans tied to too many vote downs, etc. etc. etc.

Regardless of why a feature exists or the thinking behind it's original design, with all technology there also comes inherently the ethical responsibility to use that technology in a moral way, as well as use technology in a way that increases the quality of your life.

So those are the measurements that I use when evaluating technology. To apply that to this specific case, if "ignore" helps a poster calm down and not react to other inflammatory posts, or helps a poster from getting worked up and emotional and cyber-stalking someone or issuing internet gong sau challenges (speaking in general not talking about you) then I would say that is probably a good use of the technology. If on the other hand, it creates an artificial world for someone where they only have to interact with others who think like they do, then I would say that is a very short-sighted use of the technology.

My .02 (in case there was anyone around that might mistake this for fact rather than opinion).

So those are the measurements that I use when evaluating technology. To apply that to this specific case, if "ignore" helps a poster calm down and not react to other inflammatory posts, or helps a poster from getting worked up and emotional and cyber-stalking someone or issuing internet gong sau challenges (speaking in general not talking about you) then I would say that is probably a good use of the technology. If on the other hand, it creates an artificial world for someone where they only have to interact with others who think like they do, then I would say that is a very short-sighted use of the technology.

I think that's a good assessment WF. If someone is going to be real d!ck and make all kinds of judgements and assessments about people they really know nothing about, then I'd rather not see it at all. But likewise if someone were to put every person they ever had a disagreement with on "ignore" status, that woud be a bit over the top! This is the first time I've ever used it, and I will use it very sparringly. But I invite you or anyone to just take a look at what JP has been posting and I think you'll understand why I chose to "ignore" him.

I think that's a good assessment WF. If someone is going to be real d!ck and make all kinds of judgements and assessments about people they really know nothing about, then I'd rather not see it at all. But likewise if someone were to put every person they ever had a disagreement with on "ignore" status, that woud be a bit over the top! This is the first time I've ever used it, and I will use it very sparringly. But I invite you or anyone to just take a look at what JP has been posting and I think you'll understand why I chose to "ignore" him.
    LOL, man do I feel special - not only does someone think sooo much about me that they put me on their awesome Ignore list, they go the extra mile by continuing to think of me and include me repeatedly in their posts after the fact!

But name calling me a 'd!ck' after the fact is about a pathetic as it gets. Doesn't have the ba11s to talk to me directly but then says all sorts of things about me 'behind my back'. Sad.
    Maybe someone can quote this so KPM can 'ignore me' some more
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 06-10-2014 at 11:37 AM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

LOL, man do I feel special - not only does someone think sooo much about me that they put me on their awesome Ignore list, they go the extra mile by continuing to think of me and include me repeatedly in their posts after the fact!

But name calling me a 'd!ck' after the fact is about a pathetic as it gets. Doesn't have the ba11s to talk to me directly but then says all sorts of things about me 'behind my back'. Sad.
    Maybe someone can quote this so KPM can 'ignore me' some more
    You are special. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

I think the ignore function is to help those people with cognitive dissonance so they do not be confronted by the realities they want to avoid.

PMs are handy ways to relay messages that no one else on the rest of the planet could possibly care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Newbie View Post
    PMs are handy ways to relay messages that no one else on the rest of the planet could possibly care about.
    I don't want to assume, so what/who is this in reference too? Or just a random general statement?

I don't want to assume, so what/who is this in reference too? Or just a random general statement?
    Not aimed at you. We disagree on some things, life goes on.