Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much do you work on striking power

How much do you work on striking power

Hi All
    Just watched a boxing match on YouTube (Golovkin-Proska) and witnessed a chap (Golovkin) with very heavy hands win the fight.
    It became obvious, very early in the fight, that G could hurt everytime he landed. Got stopped in the 5th

So got me thinking, how many folks on here really work their power development?
    I mean really put a focus on it.
    How do they do it?
    How do they measure it?

Surely, one shot stopping power is a great attribute in a self defense style

GlennR

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Surely, one shot stopping power is a great attribute in a self defense style.
    IMO, nothing is more imporatnt than to use a single punch to drop an incoming attacker. One training that I like to share here.

Ask your opponent to hold a body shield. Your opponent runs toward you in full speed. Without any gloves on your hand, you try to use a single punch (with your body structure behind it) to stop the incoming object. Repeat this 100 times daily. Record the outcome such as how many time that your feet are forced to move back. Compare your records 6 months later.

You can use the same method to test your "front kick" too. The advantage of this method compare to heavy bag work out is, by using this method, you can start with a 160 lb opponent, you than change your opponnet to 180 lb, 200 lb, ...
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-01-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    IMO, nothing is more imporatnt than to use a single punch to drop an incoming attacker. There is one training that I like to share here.

Ask your opponent to hold a body shield. Your opponent runs toward you in full speed. Without any gloves on your hand, you try to use a single punch (with your body structure behind it) to stop the incoming object. Repeat this 100 times daily. Record the outcome such as how many time that your feet are forced to move back. Compare your records 6 months later.
    Interesting exercise, and ive done the same thing before with a WC front/heel kick.

The obvious question is, what if he's not coming at you?

Power striking is pretty much imbedded in everything that I do. You might play with this that or the other to set-up power shots, but ultimately the goal is usually to land power shots to a spot to shut the opponent down. I am always watching mechanics to see if leverage is being applied.

Also, power is about a lot of things, hitting with force, accuracy, combination, and strategy. The point of throwing a flicker jab isn't the flicker jab itself, right? It's about landing a power shot at some point.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 09-02-2012 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Changed impede to imbedded

Blog Entries
    what if he's not coming at you?
    To deal with an opponent who keeps moving back when you move in can be another interest discussion subject.

To deal with an opponent who keeps moving back when you move in can be another interest discussion subject.
    Well thats the discussion at hand!

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    Power striking is pretty much impeded in everything that I do. You might play with this that or the other to set-up power shots, but ultimately the goal is usually to land power shots to a spot to shut the opponent down. I am always watching mechanics to see if leverage is being applied.

Also, power is about a lot of things, hitting with force, accuracy, combination, and strategy. The point of throwing a flicker jab isn't the flicker jab itself, right? It's about landing a power shot at some point.
    Fine, but the question was, HOW its increased and measured?

Actually, for arguments sake, he's not moving forward or back

Blog Entries
    Actually, for arguments sake, he's not moving forward or back
    You have to move in toward him. You are talking about "entering strategy" now instead of a punch to the head to drop your opponent.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-02-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    Fine, but the question was, HOW its increased and measured?
    Do you know any striking tool that can measure punching power (in lb)?

You have to move in toward him. You are talking about "entering strategy" now instead of a punch to the head to drop your opponent.
    No im not, he's in front of you, you hit him, he's already in striking range

Do you know any striking tool that can measure punching power (in lb)?
    Yes, ive seen a few pads with pressure measurement devices in them, ages ago now though

Blog Entries
    No im not, he's in front of you, you hit him, he's already in striking range
    Not sure what you want to discuss here. If you are in your striking range, just do whatever that you need to do.

Not sure what you want to discuss here. If you are in your striking range, just do whatever that you need to do.
    Whats so hard to understand here????

So got me thinking, how many folks on here really work their power development?
    I mean really put a focus on it.
    How do they do it?
    How do they measure it?

How is that not clear?

Blog Entries
    I asked you 1 question and you asks me back 2 questions.

If your opponent

- move in, that's A + B > A.
    - stand still, that's A + 0 = A.
    - move back, that's A - B < A.

I assume your opponent can hold body shield, standing still, and you try to knock him backward.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-02-2012 at 12:23 AM.