Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jon 'Bones' Jones

nope he was scheduled to fight hendo, a fighter should not have too jump on board fighting another guy on short notice i he or she doesnt wish too.

It is the ufcs fault they are over saturating the market by making too many cards where the whole event depends on the single main event fight to sell. Further the ufcs lack pf professionalism shined clearly when they immediately announced lyoto would be rematching jones and they didn't even so much as notify machida that this was happening lol.

further the shael fight was pointless. He is going to end up as a wash out from the org sooner rather than later and a fight with Jones would merely allow him to cash in and secure a stable financial future for himself before they drop him.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

good point about the saturation. That was my first thought when it was canceled, "wtf, was that the only fight people wanted to see?"

Still, I think Jones should have taken the fight. Sonnen is a lot more like Hendo than a ton of other cats so he would have atleast have some training for aggressive wrestlers. Sonnens blast may have gotten Jones but he can get back up I'm sure. I think Jones would have kicked his ass, he should've taken the fight with a rematch clause. Nobody would have thought any worse of him if he lost on such short notice and he would get his rematch, even a rubber match if need be, and get his belt back. Shake up a rather boring weight class.

I really did wanna see hendo Jones tho. Can't count out Dan Henderson. Everytime you think he's finally done, he pulls out a big win. Dude is a survivor for sure. Would have been a potentially great test for Jones. But Hendo when he's bad, he's bad.

Now we have to hear Sonnen cry for six months about how everyone is ducking him. Shoulda taken the fight... argghhh.

Fighting is a business too. We would all like to see certain fights. If it were just about honor, I would have to believe that these fights would occur more readily. However, other things are involved.

yeah, like the whole card collapsing cause one fight didn't happen means all those cats that paid for camp have no purse to pay off the debt. And if they get back on another card they will have to start from scratch again. That isn't Jones fault, that's the UFC's fault. A whole card shouldn't be depending on one fight to be a card people will pay to see.

I still think Jones should have taken the fight. I have much more respect for a champion that will fight anyone anywhere anytime than the kind who calculates his fights to support an agenda of looking good and getting sponsors. That is what killed boxing. MMA has stayed relatively pure by being a hard way to make a living. As that changes and the biz commercializes and people like Jones come along and start putting up a polished front that takes precedence over the sport. It's bullsh1t. It's weak, and I lost a ton of respect for the guy. Especially since if he is really as good as people think he is, he would have walked thru Sonnen in one, maybe two rounds. I think Sonnen would have gotten take downs but would have done no damage and Jones would've got up fast and made Sonnen pay for shooting in so fast and hard. Ultimately ending in a long limbed KO, probably from the hands, but maybe a knee catching him coming in.

But no, he ducked it and gave Sonnen all the ammo he needed to whine for another year. Now he may have to fight Sonnen anyways later on, but a more prepared, in shape and MUCH HEAVIER Sonnen will be a harder challenge. He should've just gotten it over with. His sponsors slogan is "Just Do It" Irony.

Rematch clause what?

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    yeah, like the whole card collapsing cause one fight didn't happen means all those cats that paid for camp have no purse to pay off the debt. And if they get back on another card they will have to start from scratch again. That isn't Jones fault, that's the UFC's fault. A whole card shouldn't be depending on one fight to be a card people will pay to see.
    :
    Dana White has always been too quick to bad mouth fighters. It hurts promotions to casual fans. I think.

Just another dent in the already beaten reputation of Dana White and the UFC. It's too bad they ended up being such self righteous douchebags. They really did have something going there for awhile. But that was years ago, today they are nothing more than control freaks with a monopoly.

I support Jones' decision even if for one reason only. It exposed Dana and the UFC's gold digging. They backed themselves into a corner. They could have still held the event. They were already booked, the ads have been paid and aired. Tickets were bought. Yeah, they'd have lost out on a lot of PPV sales most likely. Except most people these days just go to the bar and watch anyways, and commercial subscriptions aren't based on 1 time purchases. UFC already has them on the hook. How much money did UFC lose out by canning the event? Was it more than they would have lost by simply going through with it? And Dana wants to make Jones the scapegoat? Nah Fk him.

Besides, Sonnen just lost a title fight. He's got no business jumping in another one.

People are hating on Bones and calling him this and that...honestly, I think it took more balls for someone to finally, truly not only stand up to Dana but the entire UFC executive machine Fertitta bros and all. Fighters are smartening up. UFC is a business and it shouldn't surprise people when fighters begin utilizing some business sense in response. And you know, fight vs career. Jones will now have to deal with a lot more than potentially losing a fight. That takes balls. He won't be the last, he's just the first to step up, go against the norm.

Ouch

Maybe 'Bones' should be changed to 'blow'.
    UFC champion Jon Jones announces he's entered a drug treatment facility
    Kevin Iole
    By Kevin Iole 2 hours ago Cagewriter
    \

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones announced Tuesday that he has entered a drug treatment facility. (Getty)

LAS VEGAS – UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones announced Tuesday that he has entered a drug treatment facility.

The announcement came just days after Jones defeated Daniel Cormier on Saturday in the main event of UFC 182 at the MGM Grand Garden in a five-round decision that left many considering him as the greatest mixed martial arts fighter of all time.

But in a random drug test given to him on Dec. 4 by the Nevada Athletic Commission, Jones tested positive for benzoylecgonine, the main metabolite in cocaine.

The Nevada commission follows the World Anti-Doping Agency code and benzoylecgonine is not banned out-of-competition. As a result, the commission was unable to penalize Jones or prevent him from fighting despite knowing of the positive test.

It conducted a follow-up test later in December that Jones passed. Yahoo Sports was unable to get the exact date of the second test that Jones passed.

Jones released a statement to Yahoo Sports through his attorney acknowledging his problem.

"With the support of my family, I have entered into a drug treatment facility. I want to apologize to my fiancée, my children, as well as my mother, father, and brothers for the mistake that I made. I also want to apologize to the UFC, my coaches, my sponsors and equally important to my fans. I am taking this treatment program very seriously. Therefore, at this time my family and I would appreciate privacy."

The UFC released the following statement in regards to Jones:

“We support UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones’ decision to enter a drug treatment facility to address his recent issue. While we are disappointed in the failed test, we applaud him for making this decision to enter a drug treatment facility. Jon is a strong, courageous fighter inside the Octagon, and we expect him to fight this issue with the same poise and diligence. We commend him on his decision, and look forward to him emerging from this program a better man as a result.”

Nevada commission chairman Francisco Aguilar said the commission is going to discuss out-of-competition drug tests at its next meeting and whether to break from the WADA code in similar situations.

"I am pleased that Mr. Jones is addressing this issue and seeking help for his problem," Aguilar said.

The test given to Jones was analyzed for anabolic agents, peptide hormones, growth factors and related substances, beta-2 agonists, hormone and metabolic modulators, diuretics and other masking agents, stimulants, narcotics, canabinoids and glucocorticosteroids.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

This one is big

It might deserve it's own thread.

There are embeded vids if you follow the link.
    Jon Jones' cocaine revelation shows contradictions in UFC drug policy

UFC champion Jon Jones enters rehab after positive cocaine test
    UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has entered a drug treatment facility after testing positive for cocaine in December, according to a Yahoo Sports report.

BY JEFF WAGENHEIM
    Posted: Wed Jan. 7, 2015

The career-defining moments keep on coming for Jon Jones.

Three days after the weekend’s stirring victory over a vaunted opponent in an anticipated grudge match, the UFC light heavyweight champion announced Tuesday that he had entered a drug treatment facility after testing positive for the main metabolite of cocaine.

The stunning development was first reported by Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports, who detailed a random drug test conducted by the Nevada Athletic Commission in which benzoylecgonine was detected in the fighter’s system. The test was conducted Dec. 4, 30 days before UFC 182, the Las Vegas fight card where Jones was scheduled to defend his title against two-time Olympian wrestler Daniel Cormier.

That time frame is key. The Nevada commission follows testing protocols of the World Anti-Doping Agency, under which benzoylecgonine is not banned out of competition. Therefore, the commissioners did not prevent Jones from fighting -- he handed Cormier his first defeat, via unanimous decision, on Saturday -- or otherwise penalize him.

Naturally, when an athlete fails a drug test and is allowed to compete a few weeks later, eyebrows will be raised. Jones vs. Cormier was a big-money fight between the sport’s crème de la crème, and its profile was elevated considerably when the fighters brawled at a summertime press conference. They insulted and threatened each other on national television later that day, and kept the acrimony brewing throughout the fall.

On fight night, UFC president Dana White gleefully proclaimed that pay-per-view buys appeared to be surpassing his earlier estimate of 750,000, a number the fight promotion had reached barely a dozen times in its two-decade history. If this ballyhooed bout had been canceled, it would have been a kick to the gut -- and wallet -- for the UFC. And the State of Nevada wouldn’t have received its cut.

However, according to the Yahoo report, the fight was allowed to go on only after Jones was tested later in December and passed. Commission chairman Francisco Aguilar also told Iole that at its next meeting the sanctioning body will consider straying from the WADA code, particularly as it relates to out-of-competition testing.

The Jones news drew some harsh reaction, not all of it aimed at the fighter. On social media, fans and fighters alike raised the specter of a double standard in a sport where athletes -- of a lesser status than Jones, that is -- have been fined, suspended, had victories taken away, even been fired from their jobs after testing positive for recreational substances. Now, few would disagree that the drug policies at athletic commissions and within the UFC have been askew. Until recently, fighters were being punished harshly for using marijuana -- hardly a performance-enhancing drug for elite athletics -- but could receive authorization to inject synthetic testosterone, a virtual fountain of youth.

The disparity between the consequences fighters typically face for drug-test failures and the lack of formal sanctions faced by Jones can be reconciled by taking into account the variables: when the tests take place, what drugs are found in the athlete’s system, etc. PEDs typically are banned in and out of competition; cocaine, apparently only in competition. So when former UFC lightweight Melvin Guillard was suspended for eight months and fined $2,100 by the Nevada commission after testing positive for cocaine back in 2007, it was because the drug was detected in a urine test he undertook shortly before stepping into the cage to do battle.

Still, that the Nevada commission and the UFC knew the result of Jones’s test prior to the Saturday’s big fight and kept it under wraps does sully everyone involved, even if there were legal parameters -- not just moneymaking concerns -- compelling officials to bite their tongues.

There are so many contradictions here, really. For Jones to have performed with the violent virtuosity that he did, all the while knowing that the Sword of Damocles was hovering above his head -- is a testament to his extraordinary mental focus. Yet that same person apparently fell prey to cocaine.

Even in the absence of commission sanctions, Jones did not escape unscathed by being allowed to fight over the weekend. Weeks after signing a sponsorship deal with Reebok and just one day after being featured on Forbes magazine’s “30 Under 30” list of the “brightest young stars” in sports -- along with Neymar, Chris Paul, and J.J. Watt, to name a few -- Jones saw his public image take a nerve-rattling jolt.

The 27-year-old Jones (21-1) should be used to it by now. He has been raked over the coals throughout his career, with amorphous accusations -- he’s fake! he’s arrogant! -- having swirled around him ever since he became the youngest champion in UFC history in 2011.

Of course, there have been specific indiscretions as well. The most serious was a 2012 auto accident near his home in upstate New Year that resulted in a DUI arrest.

Later that year, Jones took a direct hit from the UFC brass. After his opponent was injured just over a week prior to their scheduled bout and Jones declined to accept a replacement challenger, UFC 151 became the first fight card ever canceled in the promotion’s history. In the aftermath of that mess, Dana White lashed out at his champion, calling it “one of the most selfish, disgusting decisions” and adding, “I don’t think this is going to make Jon Jones popular with the fans, sponsors, cable distributors, television network executives, or other fighters.”

On Tuesday, White and the UFC -- which obviously has a significant stake in Jones’s future -- took a more supportive stance. “I am proud of Jon Jones for making the decision to enter a drug treatment facility,” the company president said in a statement issued by the UFC. “I’m confident that he’ll emerge from this program like the champion he truly is.”

The UFC’s official statement was similar in tone, while expressing that the promotion was “disappointed in the failed test.”

A more surprising vote of support came from Daniel Cormier. Just three nights ago, he had his dream of becoming a champion shattered by Jones, who afterward mocked his challenger’s tearful disappoint. Reached by Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting, Cormier referenced his archenemy’s family in saying, “I am aware of Jon’s test, and if there is anything to say, it is this: There are a lot of people you impact, so please let’s get it together. Good luck on your rehab!”

Jones, for his part, was contrite in a statement issued through his lawyer to Yahoo's Iole. "With the support of my family, I have entered into a drug treatment facility,” he Jones. “I want to apologize to my fiancée, my children, as well as my mother, father, and brothers for the mistake that I made. I also want to apologize to the UFC, my coaches, my sponsors, and equally important to my fans. I am taking this treatment program very seriously. Therefore, at this time my family and I would appreciate privacy.”​

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

stay in the rehab facility lasted one night

Wait, what? Bones must train like a madman to be able to keep the belt, but he couldn't last more than one night in rehab?

There are news vids if you follow the link, but the article more or less covers the important points in the vids.

EXCLUSIVE: Jon Jones' mother 'glad' he got caught (Update)
    By Travis Eldridge
    By Photographer Bryan McSorley
    January 12, 2015 Updated Jan 13, 2015 at 6:47 PM EST

Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Endicott's Chandler and Arthur Jones are set to square off in this weekend's AFC Championship game, just two weeks after brother Jon defended his UFC light heavyweight title. But there's an unmistakable cloud around Jon after he tested positive for cocaine and checked into rehab last week.

Jones' mother, Camille, spoke to Action Sports in an exclusive interview.

"I'm glad that this happened to Jon, this stopped him in his tracks, this let him know that he may need to change some friends, you know, because everyone is not for you for the best," said Camille Jones. "So this is a good thing as far as our family is concerned, so we wasn't upset. Me and my husband considered it a blessing from God that our child was able to be helped and know that he need to stop and know that he needed the assistance to stop before it came to something worse."

His stay in the rehab facility lasted one night, but Jones said her son is continuing his education in the program.

"As far as treatment went. It was an overnight stay and then Jon, I believe, had the option of continuing," said Camille. "I think Jon decided to continue with the education of it all."

Camille also spoke about why her son entered the rehab program. According to her, it wasn't because he had a problem with cocaine, but because of the lifestyle he had adopted.

"It helped Jon to stop in the middle of his tracks before it became something serious. And then, you know, he just had to go to rehab for not so much for the cocaine, but it was for his lifestyle, his partying lifestyle after training," she said. "That's why he wanted to get all the information he can as far as drug addiction and how it starts and some of the tell-tail signs, just to make himself a better person."

According to Camille, the unannounced drug test came the day after Jon was hanging with friends and "did something he shouldn't have done."

"When he tested positive, my first question was, do you have a problem, a serious problem?" Camille said. "And then he told me what happened. Jon is usually very honest with me, so he told me what happened. I was like, good for you... good. You needed to be caught, it was just timing.

"You know, it did not affect his game, it was not in his system during the fight, so he's still a good athlete. So before something becomes serious of it, I was glad it was nipped in the bud."

Camille also revealed that Jon will be at the AFC Championship game in Foxborough, Mass. on Sunday when his two brothers face off.

Action Sports reached out to Jon Jones's manager for comment, but the call has not been returned.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

“not necessarily the case”

Dana the diplomat....

UFC boss Dana White refutes Jon Jones rehab reports

Photo by:
    Boston Herald photo

Thursday, January 15, 2015

By:
    Jack Encarnacao

UFC boss Dana White is refuting reports that light heavyweight champion Jon Jones spent only one day in rehab after testing positive for cocaine, saying that is “not necessarily the case” and that more clarification is to come from the star fighter.

“When the whole story comes out, people will understand, it will be put into perspective,” White told the Herald in an interview Wednesday ahead of UFC’s return to TD Garden Sunday night. “When Jon Jones comes out and does his interview, the truth will come out, and everyone will understand. Or they won’t, you know. Jon is a very polarizing guy, people either love him or they hate him. Either way, the truth will come out soon.”

White declined to elaborate.

Jones, 27, is expected to attend the AFC Championship game Sunday at Gillette Stadium to cheer on his younger brother, Patriots defensive end Chandler Jones.

White’s comments come after Jones’ mother Camille told WBNG in New York that her son had an “overnight stay” at a rehab clinic and had the option to stay longer, but “decided to continue with the education of it all."

Camille Jones also told the station Monday, "I'm glad that this happened to Jon, this stopped him in his tracks, this let him know that he may need to change some friends … he just had to go to rehab for not so much for the cocaine, but it was for his lifestyle, his partying lifestyle after training."

Jones, who defended his crown impressively against Daniel Cormier Jan. 3 in Las Vegas, tested positive for a cocaine metabolite in a pre-fight drug screen administered Dec. 4 by the Nevada Athletic Commission. The results were revealed after the bout, at which point Jones announced he would enter rehab.

“I am taking this treatment program very seriously,” Jones said in an apologetic statement Jan. 6, his only public comment to date on the matter.

The Nevada commission allowed Jones’ fight to go off because cocaine is not prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Code during the “out-of-competition” phase, or 12 hours before a contest. Performance enhancing drugs are banned in that period.

White defended allowing the fight to go forward despite a company code of conduct that allows the UFC to discipline fighters for “criminal offenses relating to performance-enhancing and prohibited substances, or substance abuse.” He pointed out that Jones is not charged with a crime and already had signed a contract to fight for a substantial sum.

“You can bust guys, you can fine guys, but I can’t pull him out of a fight,” White said. “That thing will be in a lawsuit in 3.5 seconds and I’ll lose. So then we don’t have a fight and I’ve still got to pay the money.”

White, who said he was "proud" of Jones for entering rehab, said he’s glad the test results came to light.

“When you start talking about cocaine and some of these other drugs, that’s hardcore stuff, man, and that’s when people need help,” White said. “So I want to know that. I wish I could know what everybody was doing, but you can’t police 567 guys year-round.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I merged a few old threads to make this new one

There were more Bones threads, but those are more about specific fights. Perhaps some day I'll link those all into this thread, just to satisfy my OCD organization needs.

I've moved the posts off of the Busted-MMA-fighters-and-fights thread here as this is a developing story.

UFC star Jon Jones opens up on his positive cocaine test
    By: NICK SCHWARTZ 22 hours ago

Days after Jon Jones beat Daniel Cormier at UFC 182, he checked into a drug treatment facility after it was revealed that Jones had tested positive for cocaine in early December. In a one-on-one interview with Fox Sports’ Charissa Thompson, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones revealed that he had experimented with cocaine in the past, but does not believe that he has a drug problem.

“Were you ever worried that you would have been suspended or not allowed to fight at UFC 182?

Yeah, it did cross my mind, being suspended or not able to fight — but, you know, once I got to weigh-ins or whatnot, I just realized that no one had said anything to be about it. I maybe thought the test didn’t pick it up or something.

Why would you do that so close to the fight?

That’s the big question: Why would you do that right before your fight? I definitely don’t have an excuse, I’m not here to make excuses for what happened. I did it, you know, basically at a party. I think a coward would sit here and try to come up with this elaborate reason to try to blame something. I’m not going to do that. I’m not going to blame my friends, I’m not going to blame pressure or stress. What I will say is that I messed up. It wasn’t a mistake, I can’t call it a mistake necessarily because I consciously did it.

How often had you used cocaine up until that point?

I had done it before, quite a few times in college I had experimented with it. But that’s really it. Mainly just college it was something I dipped and dabbed into, but it was never really an issue.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Moving on

Let's just move on to the next fight. Never mind any failed drug tests....

Jon Jones’ biggest problem now has nothing to do with cocaine
    By Matt McNultyJanuary 26, 2015 | 10:16am

Anthony Johnson reacts after defeating Alexander Gustafsson in a UFC light heavyweight bout on Jan. 24 in Stockholm, Sweden.
    Photo: Zuffa LLC via Getty Images

Days after Jon Jones was revealed to have tested positive for cocaine and lost his Nike sponsorship, a new problem as emerged for UFC’s most renowned champion.
    Anthony “Rumble” Johnson has earned a shot at his light heavyweight belt, and that’s a scary prospect, especially after his performance against Alexander Gustaffson in Sweden on Saturday night.
    Johnson took on the Swede in his own backyard, and managed to become the first man to ever finish Gustaffson with strikes. This is the same Gustaffson who took Jones to the brink of defeat back at UFC 165, in a fight many thought Jones lost.
    A title shot against Jones was hanging in the balance going into the main event in Stockholm, with Gustaffson lobbying for a rematch and Johnson looking to get a first crack at the belt.

Johnson pummels Gustafsson en route to his KO victory.

Gustaffson came out strong and landed a series of leg kicks before the action was halted due to an inadvertent eye poke to Johnson during an exchange.
    Johnson hurt and dropped Gustaffson within seconds after the referee restarted the action. Johnson followed him to the mat with heavy strikes, and the fight was eventually called off amid Rumble’s brutal onslaught.
    For a fighter who began his career at welterweight (170 pounds), it’s interesting to see Johnson fight at 205, the weight class he should have resided in all along.

Controversial champ Jon Jones

After a middling career at welterweight, marred by submission losses to much smaller fighters such as Josh Koscheck and Rich Clementi, Johnson has really reinvented himself.
    Now, Johnson has positioned himself to fight a champion embroiled in controversies and distractions. Jones reportedly spent a single day in out-patient treatment for his drug use, and now it looks like time to go to work in the gym.
    Because if Johnson is knocking out guys who haven’t been knocked out before. Much like the current champ.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bones on the run

Well, here's a story worth following for a while...

UFC champion Jon Jones suspect in Albuquerque hit-and-run

Title defense against Anthony Johnson next month canceled: Report

Jon Jones celebrates after defeating Daniel Cormier during their light heavyweight title mixed martial arts bout at UFC 182, Saturday, Jan. 3, 2015, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)

By Victor Morton - The Washington Times - Sunday, April 26, 2015

UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon “Bones” Jones is being sought as a suspect in a hit-and-run accident in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and a title defense set for next month in Las Vegas has reportedly been canceled.

Mr. Jones is being sought a Sunday morning crash, the Albuquerque Police Department said in a statement Sunday evening after having declared him merely a “person of interest” earlier in the day.

Albuquerque PD spokesman Simon Drobik told reporter Mark Raimondi of the website MMA Fighting that a pregnant woman in her 20s had her car struck and was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.

The driver of the other car fled the scene, he said.

“Yes, he is the suspect and we’re hoping that he will contact us to give us his side of the story,” Officer Drobik told the site.

Police in Albuquerque, where Mr. Jones trains, had not been able to get in contact with the fighter and did not know his current whereabouts.

Fox Sports’ Ariel Helwani said others are having difficulty locating Mr. Jones.

“All the closest sources I know to JBJ have not spoken to him in over 24 hours,”he wrote on Twitter.

The repercussions were already happening Sunday evening, according to MMA Weekly.

“Light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is out of his scheduled UFC 187 title fight against Anthony Johnson. Sources confirmed the development to MMAWeekly.com on Sunday,” the popular fight-news site wrote.

But according to Yahoo Sports, UFC president Dana White has not decided what to do about the Johnson title fight, saying the world’s top mixed-martial-arts organization was still trying to gather the facts and speak with its champion.

Earlier reports by MMA bloggers said Mr. Jones had been arrested on DUI charges and that police found drugs in his car.

But Officer Drobik told MMA reporter David Kano both that Mr. Jones was not in custody Sunday evening and that the drug reports are absolutely not true. “I don’t know where the hell that came form,” Officer Drobik said.

A call and two emails to the Albuquerque PD by The Washington Times were not responded to.

Mr. Jones has been light-heavyweight champion for more than four years, has successfully defended it eight times, and is widely considered the sport’s best pound-for-pound fighter. His only loss was a disputed qualification against Matt Hamill, a fight he had been dominating before throwing an elbow that was illegal by a few inches because of the angle from which it was thrown.

Mr. Jones has had run-ins before with the law, driving and drugs.

In 2012, he drove his Bentley into a pole and pleaded guilty to DUI charges. In January, he tested positive for a cocaine metabolite in the sunup to a fight and checked himself into rehab, though he only stayed there one night.

“I’m not a cocaine addict by any means or not even a frequent user. I just made a really dumb decision and got caught with my pants down in this whole situation,” Mr. Jones said in an interview later.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

appeared in court

There's a vid if you follow the link.

Jon Jones makes first court appearance in hit-and-run case

Brett Okamoto

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones appeared in Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on Tuesday for a felony first appearance, stemming from a hit-and-run the fighter was allegedly involved in Sunday.

Jones, 27, has been charged with leaving the scene of an accident involving death or personal injuries. He was taken into custody Monday night and released shortly after on $2,500 bond.

He did not enter a plea or speak during Tuesday's court appearance, according to the court's public information officer Camille Cordova. Jones remains released under standard conditions, including restricted use of alcohol and other drugs. Judge Maria Dominguez did not increase the amount of Jones' bond.

A future court hearing has not been scheduled at this time. The district attorney will decide whether to move forward with the case, which would then play out before a grand jury.

Jones' attorney Vincent Ward successfully requested that Dominguez not place any travel restrictions on his client.

Jones (21-1) is scheduled to defend his title against Anthony Johnson at UFC 187 on May 23 in Las Vegas. UFC has not made any announcement regarding Jones' status for that event. On Monday, a UFC official told ESPN.com the promotion was still "in the process of gathering facts."

Jones willingly turned himself in to Albuquerque police Monday after an off-duty police officer identified him fleeing the scene of a three-car accident, which occurred after the vehicle Jones was allegedly driving ran a red light and collided into another car. Witnesses said a man fitting Jones' description ran away from the car, stopped and returned to grab a "large handful of cash" before fleeing.

The driver of the car that was first hit, a 25-year-old pregnant woman, suffered a fractured arm and wrist, according to police reports.

Responding officers found a marijuana pipe with marijuana inside it along with documents belonging to Jones in the vehicle that caused the wreck.

ESPN reached out to Jones' camp for comment Sunday night, but representatives have yet to respond. Jones moved to Albuquerque, the base of his longtime gym, Jackson-Winkeljohn MMA, full time earlier this year.

In May 2012, Jones was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence after he crashed his Bentley into a telephone pole in Binghamton, New York. Jones pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor DWI charge and avoided jail time.

In early December, Jones was tested positive for metabolites of cocaine while training for his bout against Daniel Cormier. Jones was allowed to compete because the test was conducted out of competition, and he beat Cormier via unanimous decision.

When the failed drug test became public after the fight, Jones publicly apologized for a "mistake." He admitted himself to a drug treatment center for one day and underwent outpatient therapy.

Jones has defended the 205-pound title eight times since becoming the youngest champion in UFC history in March 2011.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips