Thread: Wing Chun in the Big Apple

Wing Chun in the Big Apple

I'm looking to study WIng Chun in NYC and was wondering if anyone had a reccommendation for a good school in Manhattan. There are so many options I don't know where to go. Looking for traditional environment

I would suggest doing the research on your own. The teacher, the lineage, their reputation.... but more importantly.... look at the student. Do they have skill? are they respectful and well mannered? You can judge a teacher by his students.

Good luck

Nyc Wc

Fut Sao Wing Chun, Master Henry Leung & Sifu Jame Cama
    Kune Belay Sau

My school was located in Manhattan for many years - but is now in Brooklyn. My background is 8 years with Moy Yat (1975-1983)...and since 1983 I've been a student of William Cheung in the Traditional Wing Chun system (TWC)....and have been teaching for over 20 years.

But since the year 2000 I've been taking a Mixed Martial Art approach - combining wing chun with boxing and catch as catch can (submission) wrestling.

There are 3 classes per week:

Monday.........7-9 pm
    Wednesday....7-9 pm
    Saturday.......12-3 pm

If you'd like more info, contact me at: wingchun@usa.com

I am a student of Philipp bayer who is one of Wong Sheun leungs direct student in HK as of 3 years ago and prior to that with gm v kan '84

Sifu P Bayer started in '83 with WSL

http://home.earthlink.net/~wslnyc/ my site for info

http://www.philippbayer.com/index.php?lang=_UK

wed eve's & private lessons

Thank you for your interest in wing chun. There many schools in NYC and you should visit all the schools in our area. I highly recommend going to Sifu Allan Lee's school www.wingchunnyc.com. Since you are a novice (i am assuming here?) in wing chun, make sure to ask many thoughtful questions and "feel" the techniques of each school so you can know what works for you. Good luck.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
    I'm looking to study WIng Chun in NYC and was wondering if anyone had a reccommendation for a good school in Manhattan. There are so many options I don't know where to go. Looking for traditional environment
    http://www.moyyat.com/contact.html

All the best in your search!

Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Sifu Chung Chow all Range fighting WC

You may also want to check out my Sifu. He teaches in the city and also in Westport CT. His web site is:
    http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com

Good luck and welcome to Wing Chun.
    ---------------
    Paul Schietinger

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    My school was located in Manhattan for many years - but is now in Brooklyn. My background is 8 years with Moy Yat (1975-1983)...and since 1983 I've been a student of William Cheung in the Traditional Wing Chun system (TWC)....and have been teaching for over 20 years.

But since the year 2000 I've been taking a Mixed Martial Art approach - combining wing chun with boxing and catch as catch can (submission) wrestling.

There are 3 classes per week:

Monday.........7-9 pm
    Wednesday....7-9 pm
    Saturday.......12-3 pm

If you'd like more info, contact me at: wingchun@usa.com

***SPARKPLUG:

Since my first post on this thread about 4 weeks ago I've decided to change my philosophy towards accepting new students somewhat. Up to now I wouldn't consider taking any new students if they weren't willing to also come to the Wednesday night Catch as Catch can (submission) wrestling class.

Have since decided that I will except wing chun-only students for the Monday night and the Saturday afternoon classes - and adjust the monthly fee accordingly.

If interested in watching a class or two...contact me.