View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 331 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2312813213293303313323333413814318311331 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,965 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Found some interesting clips while d1cking around this afternoon after a little nap after work this morning. The Hakka forms have a lot of the same "essence" as our forms....just ours have more of a stereotypically northern footwork pattern, I think. Some of 'em aren't Hakka. Just related......thought SD guys might enjoy 'em. Haters 'll just laugh.....

Reminds me, shorlty, of our 3 brown belt bird forms....you'll see why....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE1SE...elated&search=

Okay, some of the movements are a little different, but it has the same feel as our San He Chien, especially towards the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7cG_...elated&search=

I've seen every one of these moves so far....before black belt. I'm thinking between White Monkey Steals the Peach, our short forms...china hands....just, mismatched/rehashed....same cadence, rhythm, essence, though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfhExcU_ltc&NR

36 Seconds in...again that trademark bird (All 3 Shaolin birds) retreat into a broken leg stance....which I haven't really seen much in kung-fu except in these clips.....(addend: it appears in some Bak Mei forms in a less "flashy" fashion...only they don't seem to put the broken leg's heel flat to the floor [also in 1st/3rd crane]).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONezK...elated&search=

1:50 in.....a Chinese guy using Sai? Say it ain't so!!! Different form, some shared movements with SD's sai's, but many differences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnA32...elated&search=

******!!! I posted the wrong link.....just another one of that bird/broken leg retreat.....think he's doing a mantis form...not really sure......Hakka forms kind of blend together after a while.....or maybe I just don't have the eye for it.

Well, I gotta go to class now....enough web fu this week.
    Welcome back!!!
    BQ

Sure It Is.

So it seems those clips posted look more like Yoshukai Karate not kung fu so does that mean its real chinese Kung fu??? KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    So it seems those clips posted look more like Yoshukai Karate not kung fu so does that mean its real chinese Kung fu??? KC
    This is the thing that most people forget ........a great deal of kung fu is based on Taoist principles one of them being yin /yang.

Why people think that kung fu is only soft is beyond me .

It is something that is perpetuated and practiced and is out right wrong ...and one of the big reasons why kung fu guys get their @$$es handed to them .

As you can see this kung fu style is more hard than soft ( greater yang). And anyone who does SD can tell you we have the best of both worlds.

I know TM

It was a joke the CMA clearly looks Karate ish. Thus my point as to why SD is real CMA despite what others say as to the way it looks KC

Baqualin,
    Glad my posts do something!
    The point about grappling is important though. It's best to have a complete arsenal. In truth, TMA does have grappling. Throws and locks are in the forms but they need to be drilled for you to be able to apply them. Chin na can work if it's properly drilled. Techniques like the fu jow are great as well. Hell, it's a staple of many styles. The key is to drill it well and condition the hand to be able to deliver it. Here's another little nugget, the gripping strength you acquire from properly training your fu jow translates well into grappling. And there is nothing wrong with training in grappling arts like Judo, Shuai Jiao, BJJ, etc. Cross training is a great thing.
    Shaolin Wookie,
    You may be surprised to see sai in CMA, but it is a Chinese weapon as well. They're very Buddhist actually.
    On the topic of Karate and Kung Fu, there are many similarities between styles from Southern China and Karate. Historically, there is a connection. There is a lot of interesting reading out there on that.
    Last edited by The Xia; 02-15-2007 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    Baqualin,
    Glad my posts do something!
    The point about grappling is important though. It's best to have a complete arsenal. In truth, TMA does have grappling. Throws and locks are in the forms but they need to be drilled for you to be able to apply them. Chin na can work if it's properly drilled. Techniques like the fu jow are great as well. Hell, it's a staple of many styles. The key is to drill it well and condition the hand to be able to deliver it. Here's another little nugget, the gripping strength you acquire from properly training your fu jow translates well into grappling. And there is nothing wrong with training in grappling arts like Judo, Shuai Jiao, BJJ, etc. Cross training is a great thing.
    Shaolin Wookie,
    You may be surprised to see sai in CMA, but it is a Chinese weapon as well. They're very Buddhist actually.
    On the topic of Karate and Kung Fu, there are many similarities between styles from Southern China and Karate. Historically, there is a connection. There is a lot of interesting reading out there on that.
    You have said more in this one post than most people have all week

1) Most people don't realize what forms are for and what's contained in them...they need to look deeper.
    2) Most people don't understand the proper training needed to use these tecniques.
    3)Cross training is important in all styles...it's nice to have a base style like I have in SD, but one should compliment that with other styles like BJJ which has a totally different emphasis ...besides When I look at other styles sometimes It will open my eyes to an app. contained in our forms that I never noticed before. I believe it helped me to start my MA training with JUDO before moving on to SD....I wasn't surprised by ground fighters like most....I know what they can do!!!
    4) The Sai......the reason Wookie brought this up is because we always catch sh!t for our sai forms not being CMA

Keep up the good post!!

Reply]
    Those clips are showing Chinese Hakka styles. Most of it is Five Ancestor's Fist, but some appears to be some version of Southern Tai Tzu Quan and even White Crane as well. The reason it looks Karateish is because these styles are the Chinese roots of Okinawian Karate.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post

Reply]
    Those clips are showing Chinese Hakka styles. Most of it is Five Ancestor's Fist, but some appears to be some version of Southern Tai Tzu Quan and even White Crane as well. The reason it looks Karateish is because these styles are the Chinese roots of Okinawian Karate.
    no $H!T???LMAO I think we all know this by now , and kc I knew you were joking!

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    no $H!T???LMAO I think we all know this by now , and kc I knew you were joking!
    LMAO!!! TTM you gotta love the direction this is headed
    BQ

Direction

We can see the direction all of these people who have tried to discredit SD due to the {karate type moves} yet those posted are karate like as well so maybe that is not real CMA either. Is that the direction you mean. KC

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post

LMAO!!! TTM you gotta love the direction this is headed
    BQ
    oh you know it. Hey a little side note......... I am in communications with the senior student of Lawrence Day . Interesting stuff he has to say. Do you know him or a man named Don Madden??He seems to know a little about Master Sin and Master Hiang and when they came to america . Most of it can be found on the net so ...you know...anyway just curious. you can pm me if you do not want to put it out here.
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 02-16-2007 at 03:45 PM.

Wookie

In regards to the Bird "retreat to broken leg"

Drop by Norcross on a Wednesday (8pm Brown Belt) and I'll show you my take on an application for that move. It's one of my favorites.

HINT: I don't do it as a retreat

I'm big on apps and I've read that you like to work on them, so consider me at your service.

On the topic of Yoshukai Karate, that was the first martial art I did when I was a kid. When I started SD the first thing I noticed was the similarity The Lo Han Short Forms had to it.
    Words!

Just words!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Takedowns are easy. I grab you and we fall down. BJJ is about positional awareness and dominance on the ground after the takedown.

If you left a BJJ class and think it was only about takedowns, then you didn't learn d1ck.

The technique you don't study is the one that will beat you.
    It was a really highly touted school run by a Gracie top student. Most of the class was spent in the guard/mount....rolling I guess, cuz that's what they called it.

But in order to get to the ground with advantageous positioning, you had to know how to take someone down safely. You don't just charge in. If you hit the ground in a disadvantageous position....game over.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 02-16-2007 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushing Fist View Post

HINT: I don't do it as a retreat .
    Neither do I. I've yet to get the fullbody mechanics into any application. But as for the fold up and unwinding of the hands.....it's an excellent way to clear the line. But it's in plenty of our forms....tiger comes to mind....china hands...

If you're going to be in Marietta for the leopard....maybe you could show me then. Don't know if I'll be in Norcross before the 9th. Then again, who knows? Might just up and come out (I'm trying to get some new perspectives anyways, and I love those 3 birds) But the SPM school I'm checking into will have me booked on Wednesdays.

The purpose of the clips wasn't really to start up some SD/CMA crap. I knew it would do that a little. I just thought SD guys might be interested in seeing their movements in other Southern CMA's. Laugh, laugh: and after seeing some Hakka stuff, and some SPM, I found it laughable to call SD "mechanical".

Nothing wrong with being more "mechanical". SPM's one-inch power is really quite cool, and well, powerful. From an outside view, the forms look kind of ugly....in a purely aesthetic sense. I think so, anyways. They're about as far from Wushu/stereotypical shaolin as anything I've seen. No spinning kicks, outside inside smashes, or anything like that. I think the fanciest movement I saw in their staff work was a la-na-cha..... They even appear harder than most karate. But their understanding of economical fighting---that's the part where the beauty is...kind of like Wing Chun. Not a lot of wasted action. Simple footwork, small motions, quick results........but with some really cool mantis influence. Centerline theory....I've always found it intriguing. Hakka has a unique insight.

P.S. in the link to the slideshow (Tai Tzu Ancestral Fist)......dude wears a gi....hahahhaha......
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 02-17-2007 at 06:11 AM.

and another thing... I found a web site that has these, what appears to be self proclaimed " Grandmasters" ,who are ex SD BBs who have created their own system with a bunch of high level karate guys. do any of you easterners know anything about this or them???